Aldi Grocery Store selling guitar pedals cheap.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Yamaha 350, Aug 25, 2017.

1. CBHTele

CBHTele Supporting Member

IIRC I think these (guitars and pedals) were sold in Australian Aldi stores only.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Member

Now as far as being a top notch grocer yeah, I like the place. Wish I had one near me. But when I go back to Wisconsin to visit my Dad it's about the only place I shop for staples and frozen foods.

Now as a music store that I don't have much faith in so far.

3. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Those adds remind me of the JcPenny and sears catalog adds from the late 70's - early 80's
    Prices aren't much different either :rolleyes:

monty and jasevenny like this.
  4. mfranzdorf

mfranzdorf Member

Well I'll be. I had no idea. I know our local Aldi doesn't have that.

5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

I recall back around Christmas my mother-in-law sent us to Aldi's to pick up some pillows she'd seen in their ad.

6. stahlhart

stahlhart Member

I wonder if you'd get kicked out for playing Stairway.

We have too many other grocery options, and Mrs. stahlhart is choosy about the food that comes home so we typically don't go here, but I might if they sold other stuff like this (the ones here don't).

soulman969 likes this.
  7. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Aldi is great play to pick up groceries and had no idea they sell electronicals and other such gearz.

8. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

That's funny

9. soulman969

soulman969 Member

But why take a risk on those pedals when there are those like the FAB series from Danelectro that sell for as little as $15.00-$25.00 and are known to be both an excellent value, dependable, and warrantied through the major music dealers like MF and GC who sell them as well as JOYO and other imports with a similar reputation that can be found used on Ebay for $25 and less?

And as for the plywood guitars and their ability to be modified I have to wonder how well any after market parts will even fit them. Provided they can be properly set up and will stay in tune (doubtful) $40 may be an OK deal for someone who thinks they might like to learn or for a younger child as a first guitar but I'd be very cautious about thinking they could be upgraded with ease.

In that price range at the very least I'd spend a little more and get one from GFS who actually does sell parts for theirs.

I would be as suspicious of buying produce or meats from a Guitar Center as I am buying even cheap musical instruments from an Aldis.

fretless and Uncle Bob like this.
  10. lugnut111

lugnut111 Member

I'm gonna guess the foot stompers are "slightly rehoused" First Act pedals. The footpad/switch area is exactly the same, the little knob to open the battery location is exactly the same & in the same location. The controls, led and top mounted jacks are in the same locations. The shape of the lower portion of the pedal housing is the only difference in appearance. The First Act housing had a stylized control mounting area with rounded corners. I bought one of those First Act Delay pedals a few years ago for **** & giggles. It was $11.00 new w/free S&H from Amazon. I still have it, does a nice slap back.

As for modding the guitar, I would think import parts should fit. So those with the urge, can mod away.

That being said, I'm with ya. Gonna have to pass on these...well, at least until someone starts hyping how transparent the Aldi OD is.

soulman969 likes this.
  11. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

My neighbor drives an Aldi.

He says everytime he makes a hard left, the freezer aisle hits his nuts real bad.

12. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Jimmy Page showed us that a cheapie Danelectro can rock. ;)

Bossanova likes this.
  13. soulman969

soulman969 Member

LOL......like the water from a mountain spring. ;)

First Act stuff came to mind when I saw the ad. I know the Dano FAB stuff works well because I've used it and still have a chorus and delay and a mini board for an acoustic but this brand I've never used. Of course when they sell for $10-$15 bucks they're disposable but once I pay $25 or more I'd like it last awhile or at least have a recourse to return it. I dunno maybe Aldi's has a liberal return policy. I've never tried.

I've modded the hell out of my Squirer CVCs and CV basses to the point where about all that's left is a Squier body and logo on the neck plate and I enjoyed every minute of it.......well ALMOST every minute. LOL But those all fit US spec'd parts. Once you get into some of the others that are made in Indonesia or other locale's then some find the fitting of even typical import parts to be tougher since unlike the CVs and CVCs different plants seem to make those so their specs can vary.

Anyway I'll stick with Aldis for food and MF and a few others for gear. My mind can't handle anymore confusion than that. :confused:

lugnut111 likes this.
  14. doctorx

doctorx Member

I was just in my Aldi this week, twice. Never saw any guitar gear, then or ever.

15. Stardrake

Stardrake Member

They are not on the Aldi US website. And that ad is likely not from the US--it would say May 8, not 08 May. They likely haven't brought them to the US.

16. adauria

adauria Member

So are we suggesting those prices are in AUS dollars? That's shockingly cheap (minus the plane ticket to AUS).

I'm more of a Monoprice guy for cheap gear (viz pedals).

-Andrew

17. strumnhum

strumnhum Member

We had one open in our area about a year or so ago. I'll have to go by and check it out, been meaning to anyway. Usually shop at Kroger for their fuel points. Just filled up my pickup and gas cans for movers, etc. Using fuel points, $1.45/gal. Donna watches the sales and digital coupons, so the prices don't end up being any higher than other grocers in our area--she's good at saving $$-something I used to seriously lack.