Alembic Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by PFCG, Mar 9, 2006.

1. PFCG

PFCG Member

Hey guys, im fairly new to the gearpage, but i dont see much about Alembic guitars. Has anyone heard of them? I have one on custom order, its a 7 String. Anyone else playing a Furthur, Tribute, Skylark, Spectrum, or anything else?

Anyone Playing a Two-Rock? Tone Tubbies? Lets chat pure tone!

2. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Your guit pic looks cool.

3. roggae

roggae Member

You have good taste... Alembic Further & Custom Reverb Sig owner here.

You won't be disappointed when your Alembic finally shows up. The worksmanship is stunning. My Alembic is the second Further made, so I've had it for four or five years now. In that time I've had a Custom prototype and Opal in addition to my current CR Signature. The Alembic through the clean channel is simply magic. There is nothing quite like the sparkely clean sounds of an Alembic guitar, and the Two Rocks are a perfect compliment.

I didn't particularly care for the Tone Tubby I used to have, but it was one of the earlier paper cones. I'm currently using the TR65 speakers. Highly recommended.

Which Two Rock are you going to be using with your Alembic?

4. PFCG

PFCG Member

100 watt Custom Reverb Artist, with a matching 1x12 cab with the TR speaker, in Black of course. I opted for the artist because i actually like it better than the sig. Joe and Bill said the parts manufactures they get the parts from set the parameters so close that its not a huge difference, only about 5 percent, which i think is negligable for an extra 3 grand, but i am getting the sig 2x12 cab, because i wanna have a bigger cab just in case, i just dont know whether to get it loaded with the TR speakers, or Tone Tubbies. Im a big AlNiCo fan so i might have to get a pair. I am a huge tone freak, but i am only 18! If the age negates the credibility of what i talk about, i can say in my favor, im a student at Berklee College of Music.

5. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

7-String,

No worries re: the age from me! I'm 22, and I've been playing high end tube amps from the time I was 15. My first "real" amplifier was a VHT Ultralead Half-Stack with an Ibanez Universe =P I'm about to (ie. next 'gear cycle') upgrade from a Jamison/Naylor rig... not sure to what.

Back on topic, I am an Alembic user (when I'm playing bass. On guitar I'm strictly a Ruokangas guy right now). My alembic bass is one of the most faithful instruments I've had, even though I've had to fight the thing. It is a very interactive instrument, and incredibly expressive- I think Alembic gets silently looked down on as not being a very organic or dynamic sounding electric instrument. But my bass, which is an extension of my mind when it is strapped on, is a heavenly companion that truly stays out of the way of my musical thoughts while bestowing a very very pleasing signature sound. On my rig, a Mesa Boogie impulse600 into an epifani 3x10 cab, that signature sound is "huge and round and a little shiny."

Love the look of your 7 string in progress. No doubt about it, Alembic custom shop guitars are show stoppers and I'd like to have one.

And I'd also really like to get a Two Rock :)

We'll see- the Two Rock would be an upgrade; the Alembic would be a brother to my Jubilee guitar from Ruokangas.

6. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

I think most people thing of alembic as a bass builder first and that is why they don't get much play here.
    TR Custom proto. I am playing through a Harry Joyce 12 right now. I'd love to try a TR Cab. There is whole section devoted to amp in the board. Welcome the gear page.

cmn

7. BBHollowbody

BBHollowbody Member

I'm not familiar with any of the newer ones, but I recently played an older one on a gig. Prolly from the late 70s.
    It was big and heavy and looked like the basses everybody played in the seventies. You had to plug it in to a direct box that plugged in the wall. The side dots lit up. It was actually pretty cool. Big, springy clean tones. imagine late 70s Garcia tones if you can. The overdrive tones weren't that cool but the cleans were awesome. It made you want to play clean all the time.

8. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

Saw that design some 30 years ago and was inspired to build THAT myself, cause I didnĀ“t have any money then.... :) :)

[​IMG]

9. PFCG

PFCG Member

thats a sick double neck job there. I cant believe that everyone thinks that they are primarily bass oriented. The built guitars far before they built basses. The plugging into the rackmount is a power supply. That must be a series 1 or 2 guitar or bass. because the LED's drain so much and so do the active pickups, four 9 volt batteries will be done in one night. so they made a 5 pin output, and its also stereo sometimes. Its pure garcia tone. I also got the Two-Rock today, its pretty insane. Every tone in the book that you can immagine. It does it all. The only thing it may not do is the shitbox guitar sound of a supro amp, or a champ because those are much smaller. But this thing gets as heavy as my dual rectifier! Not quite as clean as a Blackface, but you dont miss it. thats about the only other amp you would ever need or consider otherwise. Im gunna need a 2x12!

10. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I've been enamored of the red Explorer that's been on their retail site, but the fact that it's been there for years, makes me a little gun shy. People must have played it, and shrugged , or there's just something not right about it. Otherwise it would have sold by now. I like the fancy explorer vibe, but it's too much for me to take a chance on unplayed. It's just that it hasn't sold that got me a little spooked.

11. PFCG

PFCG Member

I think its been there because it is a unique instrument for a unique person. first off, its red, and most alembic buyers dont get colors. and seccondly, its expensive, so i dont think people want to shell out the dough for such a great axe. most people that buy alembics get custom instruments anyways. id say go for it! i personally am not a fan of the explorer body shape, but people love em! its all personal preference.

12. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

A buddy and ex-bandmate plays an Alembic Sporter (I think that's the name) - 4 string bass. Killer wood, but more importantly, killer tone. He custom ordered it in the mid-70s; lost it in a pawn shop in the late 80's/early 90's and got it back around '95 with no other owners (save for the pawn shop) in between.

Edit to say - The bridge/tailpiece is funny in that it is hand made, put together out of many little pieces of brass (saddles aren't brass) and all bolted together like a puzzle with #4 machine screws. Funny, but cool knowing that these things were hand-built like this.

13. PFCG

PFCG Member

Its a spoiler, thats cool! Alembics are one of a kind, they are just rediculous in quality and customer service. 100% of everything is made in house! They make the pickups, circuit boards, necks, bodies, bridges, tailpieces, EVERYTHING! its a really interesting place!

14. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

This was probably Early 70's.
    Nice 1 Piece Mahogany Body. 24 fret Neck and Killer Inlay work!
    I Dont have alot of History about this Guitar, But She is a Real Early American Beauty
    and Was probably a Custom Made Rick Turner - Pre Alembic - No Serial Number.
    A Very Fine Instrument! She Plays and Sounds Great!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. PFCG

PFCG Member

its definately not an alembic, the pickups are passive it looks like, and it has a tune o matic bridge, but it sure looks cool, i bet it sounds awsome!

16. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Just beautiful. I'm always pleased to see another creative guitar, especially a 7-string. As a fellow 7-stringer, it's always nice to see someone join the club. There's definitely not enough of us. :)

17. PFCG

PFCG Member

thanks, i tried to get the picture as my avatar, but i dont know how, nor could i get it on a post, but thanks for putting it up, aint she pretty?

18. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Pretty indeed. It is solid or chambered? What are the specs?

19. PFCG

PFCG Member

ok here we go

Alembic Balance K body style with an Omega cut
    Arm and Tummy cuts
    Cocobolo top with a maple pinstripe,purpleheart laminate,maple pinstripe, and a solid mahogany back
    25.5 scale 24 fret
    orion 4x3 headstock
    bird tailpiece
    gold locking grover tuners
    s-s-h pickup configuration with 3 mini toggles for on off of each pickup
    a Q switch for a 12 db boost
    1 volume , 1 tone
    side jack
    ebony fingerboard with no inlays (takes away from the beauty of natural wood)
    neck laminates as follows, left to right or right to left
    Maple,purpleheart,maple,ebony,maple,purpleheart,maple
    custom fingerboard width with medium frets
    straplocks
    Built in cigarette holder, just kidding! thats what the headstock is for, NOT!
    Brass height adjustable nut, and brass bridge custom machined by alembic.
    all electronics are places in the places i specified.

this is truly a custom guitar, the price.....

$*****.** its a gift to myself

20. PFCG

PFCG Member