Alembic short scale or Ernie Ball Extra Slinky strings?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by SmoothFall, Oct 18, 2008.

1. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

If you had the option of choosing which to buy for me, which would you choose?

THANKS, YOU GUYS ALL ROCK!!!

:crazyguy

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

neither: get a real bass, and put real strings on it :stir

3. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

Hi, you responded to my question about the bass strings. May I ask you which type of strings you would consider to be "REAL". Also, assuming you know what kind of bass I own (you don't), and assuming you think it is not "Real", tell me, what type of real bass strings would you buy?

:crazyguy

4. walterw

why, get a big ol' fender and put regular ol' strings on it, what else?

dude, relax! " :stir " means "just stirring the pot to get a reaction, so don't take it seriously!"

anyway, what are you trying to do musically that has you leaning towards short scale instruments and/or super skinny strings?

5. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

K, but I don't know what made you think I had a Fender, because I don't.

Anyway, the tone that I am looking for consists of tonal variety. I am looking for mid-range definition for finger-style, a shark, crisp, clear, and punchy low-end and high-end attack for slap tone. That is what I am looking for, and that is what I am close to, as soon as my new gear arrives...

My bass has a shorter neck in length, I believe it is a 30-34 inch scale neck with 21 frets, so it IS a short scale neck.

The slinky strings would be used to articulate the slap tone that I am looking for.
    :D

6. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I think you're going to be chasing your tail in thinking a set of strings is going to change the inherent sound of a short scale bass.

Accept the bass for what it does, and get the bass that does what you want it to do. Trying to force the bass into doing what you want it to do when it's not designed to do what you want it to do is an exercise in futility.

7. walterw

the tone you're describing is only going to come from a normal long-scale bass. skinny strings might indeed make it more "slap-friendly", so that's worth a try.

what do you mean, "a 30-34 inch scale neck"? that's like saying, "yeah, i've got a 4-8 cylinder engine in my car."

34" is normal long scale, 30" is usually accepted as "short scale", and 32" is considered "medium scale". the number of frets has nothing to do with it.

8. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

Uh huh, now we are also assuming that I don't already own a bass, and we are assuming that I don't know that a preamp will significantly change the punch and tone of a bass. Wow, we are sensitive here, aren't we.

I changed my mind, I bought three different sets of strings, and I will try them both with my tower of knobs.

Oh, and you can go direct into the mixing console in a live situation, just make sure the cable is running out of your preamp, not your power amp.

Thanks,

JASON RONALD

www.myspace.com/enterthehouseofhealingsound
    www.garageband.com/injectedintothesoul

9. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

First-

walterw is correct- a "short scale" bass is generally 30" and a regular scale instrument is 34" so to say you have a 30-34 inch scale neck makes no sense.

Second-

A short scale bass is not going to sound or respond like a regular scale bass. Regardless of strings, regardless of preamp, power amp, speakers, enclosure, compression, EQ or whatever you throw on it.

Third-

Good luck, and be sure to let us know your findings.

10. SGNick

SGNick Member

You sound like the only one being sensitive buddy...

We corrected a nonsensical statement, then you said we assumed you didn't own a bass??

Either way, LaBella and Pyramids make short scale flats and rounds that you may enjoy. They both have a great reputation in the bass world, the Pyramids being the higher tension of the two.