Alesis MultiMix 8 USB 2.0 FX into Garageband Q's

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by retroLS1, Mar 11, 2015.

1. retroLS1

retroLS1 Supporting Member

So my band has decided to record some acoustic songs and we have some equipment at our disposal to do it with. We gave it a run last night but I had a couple questions to improve it. We have a pretty basic PA system: Yamaha MG166CX into two EV ZLX112P's. I also had a spare Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 FX hanging around that my singer and I wanted to use for when we do acoustic gigs (just he and I). The Alesis has a direct USB line to hook directly up to a computer so I used my '14 Macbook Pro and ran it into Garageband to record.

It worked fine and the results were as good as I would have expected for our first go-around. One question I have though about the Alesis mixer is if it's possible to output each channel into Garageband and have them be on separate tracks? We had my singer into input 1 and my guitar into input 2 on the mixer, and they were combined into 1 track in Garageband when recording. We set the levels on the mixer so they sounded ok when recording, but ideally we would have each of us on our own tracks in Garageband so we can duplicate tracks afterwards and play with effects etc.. I have been having a hard time finding specific info on this online and I am still a newb somewhat when it comes to these interfaces. I would like to avoid having to buy any more equipment right now if possible. I know we can obviously do it one track at a time but we are just looking to capture quick songs at practice etc. without a whole lot of fuss.

2. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I have a similar recording setup- Alesis Multimix8 FIREWIRE 8 channel mixing desk (firewire rather than USB) to an Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer running Garageband.

Make sure that you have the right software of the mixing desk installed on the computer.

Also, connect the mixing desk to the laptop first. THEN turn on the mixing desk, and THEN open Garageband to set up the tracks.

I set each channel to its own track in Garageband. When you add a track, the software should have a drop down box of the mixing track's channels. I just make Channel 1 into Track 1, Channel 2 into Track 2 etc. The process is very quick.

3. retroLS1

Thanks guys, I will check both of those out. This is my first Mac and I love Garageband but it does take some getting used to. I did download and install the newest drivers available for my mixer from Alesis before I hooked it up via USB. I cannot remember in what order I hooked them up but I will be cautious of that next time.

We were trying to do it fairly quick last night so I didn't get to really dive into all the options in Garageband but it does look like it should be capable of recording each mixer channel onto separate tracks as long as I enable the tracks for recording. That version from that link is a little older/different but I imagine most of those settings are still the same.

4. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Double check which model you have. Confusingly Alesis has multimix mixers that do 8 channels and some only 2.

5. retroLS1

6. retroLS1

Yes, I have discovered that while researching today... that's why it was pretty confusing. Mine is the one in the title - Multimix 8 USB 2.0 FX (what a mouthful). Haven't been able to determine yet if it is capable of anything other than 1 like we did last night but I will be able to mess with it next time I am at my band's practice space.

7. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I'd search the alesis documentation. A quick search just now didnt clarify it for me, but I know for a fact there are two models. A friend had ordered one, thinking it did 8 tracks, sent it back and got the other after Sweetwater rep cleared it up. The second one definitely worked 8 track simultaneous.

8. retroLS1

That's what sucks is Alesis is pretty hard to get info from (at least their available information online). As far as manuals go they basically just have a "quick start" guide available for the mixer and their instructions for hooking up to a computer pretty much consist of "plug it in".

9. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

It looks like the mixer should send 10 channels discretely through USB.

Main Mix only: http://alesis.com/multimix8usbfx
    10 Channels (8+2): http://alesis.com/multimix8usb20fx
    It looks like the mixer is pretty passive in this process. it's sending input 1 to USB channel 1, Input 2 to USB 2 etc. You just have to each channel in Garageband set to the correct input, they should all already be there. Try Studio One as well if Garageband gives you trouble. Garageband may be able to DO multi-track now but it doesn't have great tools for it.

10. retroLS1

Oh awesome, thanks for that. I will check out Studio One. The mixer came with a free version of Cubase but I haven't even looked at it to know if it's even worth messing with.

11. Tal Eisenberg

Tal Eisenberg Member

Where did you get the 2.0? Been searching everywhere and cannot find it anywhere. I know it's been discontinued but there have to be some around.

Tal