Alesis Quadraverb Rebirth?

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by braveheart, Feb 20, 2019.

1. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I connected my MV4 to the loop of my MPX G2 last night and it really didn't hold up all that well. It's too bad, really, because I do remember a certain fondness for the sound of these.

Running the Hall reverb into the MPX's Hall reverb in series made a nice, smooth verb with tons of buildup, but it really wasn't worth the rack space.

Oh well..

ctreitzell likes this.
  2. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

ADA MP-1 with Alesis QuadraVerb II on strat at 4m30s. After this gig I traded in my '71 Les Paul Goldtop Deluxe for a DigiTech WH-1 :)

3. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

That could be a simple fix. Mine did also...the ribbon cable to the display came loose.

A440 likes this.
  4. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Pretty sure there are aftermarket replacements on eBay if there are further problems.
    They may be a different color than the original.

5. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

I opened the cover ...pushed the connector down on the pins and it was fixed. I had it for many years. Served me well. Ridiculously big external power supply was a bummer. I remember it having a cool rotary sound with fast n slow spin rates.

ctreitzell likes this.
  6. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

yep, I used that rotary stuff a bit ...that said it was pretty noisy...you gots to learn how sculpt that high end for a more subtle effect

7. edro

edro Member

Loved the QV... You just had to get in there and dig to find the magic dust...

8. edro

edro Member

Presets mostly suck on anything with presets....

Multi floor stomps too.....

I think they all hire the same drunk cab driver that barely speaks English to program all the star trek whirlygig bulltish worthless presets...

You just gotta learn the map and dig around...

9. Trevor76

Trevor76 Member

Hi there, I too have a Quadreverb 2 and some years ago fitted EFTP files ( echoes from the past ) this provided some 79 different echoes particularly suited to all the old Shadows sounds. This system was developed for the Alesis by Charlie Hall in England and after purchasing the files, I downloaded them through a dump program into the QV.
    They are really authentic and I had a great time with the Alesis. In the rack was a GSP 21 Legend and via MIDI and the foot controller, I was able to change programs in the Alesis.
    Although that particular rack system is not used much these days, it all still works with the exception of a display with a couple of lamps that are fading.
    Cheers from New Zealand. -- wrangler.

10. braveheart

braveheart Member

After the first sentimental enthusiasm about my find vanished, I realized why I stopped using the quadraverb...it colours the tone even in bypass mode very badly...so by by forever little QV! ;)

11. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

That’s what mixers are for. A lot of older devices really need to be heard with a mixer or you don’t know what you’re abandoning.

swinginguitar and ctreitzell like this.
  12. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

we need a huge banner on this forum that reads "PLEASE GET A MIXER"

fx loops arent the same....

ctreitzell and teofilrocks like this.
  13. cram

cram Member

I have one from back in the day. I keep it in a 2 space rack under the mixer I use for our rehearsal room.
    The reverbs and eq get the most usage. With the mixer we have, there are 2 options for fx/loop w/on board vs external loop. So each track/patch can get those two levels added.
    I like to have a different flavor for the channels to pull from.

one thing I'd love to find -
    example settings for this unit with various applications.
    I can get a vocal or snare/kick sound I like. I've never seem to find a sound for guitar I'm happy with like some of the demod values here:

14. iam_krash

iam_krash Supporting Member

Alesis was always noisy and I could never get a reverb that "sat" right with guitar...cheap, low end.

15. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I always liked the flange regen and auto wah in my QV days
    pretty much all the syncanonymous on my soundcloud are QV

My bro got mine repaired a couple years back, but it is in Hollywood now and I am in Europe...
    maybe I'll bring it back with me this fall...maybe not
    too many great Lex units available at nice prices to go back to QV

swinginguitar likes this.
  16. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

An ADA MP-1 and an Alesis Quadraverb is an absolutely classic pairing.

ctreitzell likes this.
  17. Royslead

Royslead Member

I decided to check on those. Sure enough - they are available! None could be found back when I originally tried to repair mine with a different style. I found two sources on eBay, and both are completely plug and play. Simply remove the top cover, remove the four screws from the faceplate, remove the nuts from the input/output jacks on back, remove the chassis. Carefully pull the connector off the old display (make sure you know which end is up). Remove four tiny screws from the old display to the faceplate, and reverse the process. I literally removed the unit from my rack, changed the display, and had it back in and powered up in fifteen minutes. I am so glad I have it working again. Thank you for the tip on checking eBay.