Alessandro Blue Tick

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lerxst2112, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Anyone got anything on 'em? I can't find much information on 'em at all... just one H-C review and one uninformative GP review.

Better yet, anyone got any clips?

2. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Actually, for that matter, I'd like to hear ANYTHING from Alessandros... Plott Hound, Beagle, or Blue Tick. Anyone got anything on those other two?

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

There is a video of one at a tonefest, with a Cowtipper 22 as well. IMO, guess which one slays the other? Hint...... You own it. :D Actually, I think the Cow 22 was hands down the best sounding amp in all of the videos. By far. VERY far. Lol!

On the other hand, I really liked the Allesandro Rottweiler. VERY nice sounding amp, with none of the harsh uppers that the high end English I played had. The reverb was awful though. :mad:

4. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

http://cnc-search.com/chris/alessandro.wmv

Not to say that the Bruno doesn't sound good. It does. I was there. If you are looking to do Fender, it is wonderful. Niether the Bluetick or the Beagle in this clip do Fender at all so it is really kind of difficult to compare apples to oranges.

The Beagle does a wonder rythm to lead transistion with the volume knob. It is voiced really well so rolling off the guitar volume does not suck the life out of the sound. Listen to Joker get great warm clean tones with just the guitar volume.

In the interest of disclosure, the Beagle in the clip is mine.

cmn

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hehe, kept wishing it was mine... ;)

6. Roe

Roe Member

the reverb is not awful - just a bit different. It takes some time to get used to.

7. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Since the original poster asked about Alessandros, not Brunos, I will answer the question asked.

I have owned a Redbone, a regular English, and a high-end English. I have also played a Redbone Special.

Alessandro amps don't really sound like anything else. The English has a little bit of Vox in it, but it is more aggressive and voiced more in lower/upper mids than the typical treble voicing of a Vox. The Redbone and the Special have a little Marshall but again have a voice unique to Alessandro. All of his amps share a clarity that allows you to hear each individual guitar... pick-ups, wood, etc. They are also very unforgiving - they do not let you hide behind poor technique or sloppy playing.

Great amps all.

8. Tag

OK. IMO, the reverb was thin, weak and had no depth compared to a Fender HR Deluxe and PV Classic 50 I had there for comparison. The amp DID sound much better to me than those two amps, which is saying something, seeing that to me, most boutiques do not. I like both of those amps more than the high end English.

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yeah - it sounded even better in person! That's the standard Beagle, Chris?

You know what I really liked, Jae, was how well you "commanded" the Beagle from the Chapin whether by attack or volume control.

Best, Pete.

10. cnardone

High end - Caps, Silver wire and something else I don't remember. I bought it used from George. I sent it to George to look at it this summer. When we spoke he raved about it, "This is what a Beagle should sound like." Blowing smoke up my ass? Perhaps. Is is a good 6 years old and really broken in. He believes that why it sounds so good. He said that the highend parts make more of a difference as the amp ages.

I would not hesitate to get a Black n Tan for more Marshall-ee sounds. In fact, I would love to have a pair.

cmn

11. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

That Beagle sounds awesome! I'm not looking for a clean amp - I already have the CT22 for that. I'm looking for kind of a moderate OD amp... lately, I've really fallen for that crystal-clear type sound where everything retains great definition even when cranked up. As far as I can tell, that sounds kind of like what the Beagle does. Is there any amp in George's lineup that does that better?

12. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I have a 6v6 Blue Tick. Extremely sweet, can get Fenderish with the mid control down,but it lives in a kind of ultra tweed/meets vox zone. NO flub on the bass. The edge of breakup sound is the best I have heard.

focused mids

prferred it to my cow 22 - much better breakup

<settle down TAG >
    I do still have a cow45 which is really nice

13. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

My friend was at my house and finally got my CT22 to break up. Volume on full, bridge pickup on the LP...

14. Tag

Where is the video of that Cow 22 for comparison? :p IMO, that last video sounded awfully average, So take that into consideration.

15. Tag

My comments are for the original poster. To be sarcastic like you, lets try this..... (In my best ScottCW voice)

Why listen to clips of both amps with your own ears?? :confused:
    You have MUCH more reliable information by listening and trusting usernames on the internet try and "describe" the tone by words! None of which could POSSIBLY have any relation to the brand in question, or could be guys posting under different usernames. :D

Back to me. Ahem, let me clear my voice...

The best solution is ALWAYS to play all amps for yourself. Personally, I was SOOO underwhelmed by the high end Allesandro, I try to offer an alternate perspective when I read the cork sniffy accolades about them.

I have the videos. If you want them, email me and Ill see if I can find them and send them to you. In the mean time..
    Carry on! :AOK :cool:

16. cnardone

I might have it somewhere. it might even still be up. I don't remember. I'd have to be @ home to check. I still think the point is that you are comparing apples to oranges. They do two different things. You prefer Fender-ee cleans others prefer the slice of the Beagle.

lerxs

Better, as we now know, is in the ears of the beholder. The Englsih is similar to the Beagle (4 el84 instead of 2). It gets much louder before break up and i think that it is not quite as "aggressive" I have not played or heard a Black n Tan to know how it handles itself. Though I understand it has a little more crunch and is more towards the marshall side than voxish.

cmn

17. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I don't need a video of a CT22... I own one. I know what it sounds like. It's a killer clean amp, and I'm not asking about clean amps. Brunos are great amps, there is no disputing that. However, I am not looking for another Bruno.

I'm looking for specific criteria:
    -Low wattage (anything under 20-30)
    -Moderate overdrive
    -No master volume
    -Crystal clear even when distorted. Great note/string definition.
    -Can do crunchy-yet-clear OD
    -Not based in the Marshall camp, not based in the Vox camp, not based in the Fender camp... somewhere in between.

18. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

That clears that up for those who don't get it, doesn't it?

For Alessandros, I think the Black & Tan would meet your criteria. The TopHat Club Royale, Z MAZ Jr. and Cage Corsa would also fit nicely.

19. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

I'd love to play a Blue Tick. As much as I love my English, I think the "tweed meets vox" description of it sounds a little more "me" than the English. I need to find someone to loan me one so I can compare the two side by side to see which I like better :).

But as others have said, George's amps can kind of spoil you. I've owned some different stuff (including a great sounding UG30), but since I've had the English I can't commit myself to a different brand of amp. Very unforgiving but very rewarding at the same time. And the way it cleans up and reacts to your guitar's volume and your pick attack is quite addictive.

You really need to try one - only way to find out if its your cup of tea or not.

20. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Can you tell me more about the Black n Tans? I'm dying to hear one...