Alessandro English - New Clip " in love "

Axeplyr

Platinum Supporting Member
WOW. Stunning. That's a gorgeous tone you have there - and the phrasing is very, very classy.

glman

thanx - The amp really sounds good but it's not for everybody .
although I'm really happy with it - it seems a bit temperamental and at times it feels like it gets a little too cleaned and hardens up after being on for more than an hour - this could be a figment of my imagination and I've spoken to George about it and he has no answers but still the amp sounds great 90% of the time.
I think that what happens is after an hour of playing my ears get used to the sound - it's like eating chocolate - you always want more!

I've been sitting on the fence thinking what to get next - /13 ( but I already have a great Slash 2555 ) - I've heard all the D13 clips and all are great but I still prefer my Slash 2555 for overall tone.

i've also been dabbling with the idea of a D-style amp but deep down I know that I don't like channel switching especially after playing the English.
i think I'm getting a bluetick next - i know it's similar to the English but i think it's gonna be even better for me!

here's a clip of my Marshall slash with 4x12 greenback Celestions

the song is called - " you Should Know "

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=508391

luv2playm

Silver Supporting Member
I really like your style---very expressive. The tone you're getting from your amps is also nice. I'm looking forward to your future posts. Thanks.

rah3

Beautiful playing. I own a High End English, as well as a High End Blue TicK and Italian Greyhound. You will dig the Blue Tick. I know what you mean about a D'style. I bought a D'Lite kit a while back and haven't done the build because I'm digging the single channel/volume control approach.

Keep posting clips they sound great.

-RAH3

deeval

Gold Supporting Member
thanx - The amp really sounds good but it's not for everybody .
although I'm really happy with it - it seems a bit temperamental and at times it feels like it gets a little too cleaned and hardens up after being on for more than an hour - this could be a figment of my imagination and I've spoken to George about it and he has no answers but still the amp sounds great 90% of the time.
I think that what happens is after an hour of playing my ears get used to the sound - it's like eating chocolate - you always want more!

I've been sitting on the fence thinking what to get next - /13 ( but I already have a great Slash 2555 ) - I've heard all the D13 clips and all are great but I still prefer my Slash 2555 for overall tone.

i've also been dabbling with the idea of a D-style amp but deep down I know that I don't like channel switching especially after playing the English.
i think I'm getting a bluetick next - i know it's similar to the English but i think it's gonna be even better for me!

here's a clip of my Marshall slash with 4x12 greenback Celestions

the song is called - " you Should Know "

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=508391
Man My Black n Tan is wonderful all the time it doesnt loose the tone even after playing it a full gig set,and man the 15 watts it puts out is very loud can play good size gigs with it,I use a 2-12 with blues Alessandro Cab.
These amps are great tone generators!Also I had the Mullard real tubes ordered with the amp maybe tubes might change your preception of ear fatigue.

glman

Man My Black n Tan is wonderful all the time it doesnt loose the tone even after playing it a full gig set,and man the 15 watts it puts out is very loud can play good size gigs with it,I use a 2-12 with blues Alessandro Cab.
These amps are great tone generators!Also I had the Mullard real tubes ordered with the amp maybe tubes might change your preception of ear fatigue.
I'd love to hear a clip of the BnT - that's another amp that has intrigued me but I can't seem to find a single clip of this amp anywhere!

mcgriff420

I'd love to hear a clip of the BnT - that's another amp that has intrigued me but I can't seem to find a single clip of this amp anywhere!

+1 on that, there's not much on any of the Alessandro products. What I have heard sounds really nice. It seems that most of the Alessandro users are pretty tasteful players too.

Thanks for posting your clips, it helped relieve the pain of waiting for my RedBone to arrive.

BTW if anyone..ANYONE has clips of the redbone please provide a link or two will ya?

glman

Great sounding clips!
thanx - i love my english but i'm now in buying mode again and i think a bluetick is on the cards next - I've always been tempted by the /13 stuff but in the back of my mind I know that my Slash 2555 is a hard act to follow - even for a /13.
the only amp that would replace by 2555 is the Komet concorde.
like i said before - I'm taken with the simplicity of the english - I don't like channel switching amps - the 2555 is something that i use in my studio for rock stuff only. -

glman

What vintage is your english? Aluminum chassis or the newer version?
it's the newer copper chassis - it's got silver plating but the silver is starting to wear out in places and the copper is shining through.

my only complaint with the English is that to my ears after about an hour of playing - it seems as if the amp cleans up and there is less gain - nothing wrong but i prefer the amp in the first 15 minutes .I've asked george about this but he offered no advice other than to say that most people experienced the opposite - amp having more gain after playing for extended periods of time. this could also be my ears getting used to the sound and wanting more......?? but i think it could be the heat effecting the components and changing the sound slightly.
I'm going to try keeping a small fan blowing on the tubes while playing to see if it makes a difference.
other than that the amp is absolutely lovely to play.

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
I've never had that experience with my English. Maybe a check or change of tubes is in order. And I've had a fan blowing on the tubes from day 1.

Oh yeah, and gorgeous tone and classy playing.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
Nice playing!! I have a high end english and had a b&t. Sold the b&t because the english could do the same thing only better IMO. I've thought about selling my english a few times but every time I get ready to pull the trigger I step back, play it awhile, and then realize that it is one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard.

If you don't like channel switching but are gassing for another amp, try the new Two Rock Classic Reverb. One channel, class A tone monster that reminds me of a cross between my English and a Matchless DC-30. It is my current favorite amp, but you know how that goes. My favorite until my next purchase.

I'm always amazed when I see an English for sale because I feel they are better than the usual selling price indicates. IMO Alessandro amps will be a collector's dream one day when George retires.

glman

I've never had that experience with my English. Maybe a check or change of tubes is in order. And I've had a fan blowing on the tubes from day 1.
I've changed tubes many times - I'm no tech by any means but logic tells me it's heat that's causing component drift?
I'm going to try the fan approach as this little " bakeoven " gets really really hot - after about an hour or 2 even the on -off and standby switches get very hot as well.
Not too hot to handle but I can feel the amp is really cooking. - I know this is normal for Class A but I'm going to carry a small fan with me from now on.

glman

Nice playing!! I have a high end english and had a b&t. Sold the b&t because the english could do the same thing only better IMO. I've thought about selling my english a few times but every time I get ready to pull the trigger I step back, play it awhile, and then realize that it is one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard.

If you don't like channel switching but are gassing for another amp, try the new Two Rock Classic Reverb. One channel, class A tone monster that reminds me of a cross between my English and a Matchless DC-30. It is my current favorite amp, but you know how that goes. My favorite until my next purchase.

I'm always amazed when I see an English for sale because I feel they are better than the usual selling price indicates. IMO Alessandro amps will be a collector's dream one day when George retires.
Like anyone else I've also thought about selling the English - and I kinda sold it to my brother for a week but after hearing some of my recordings with it I quickly returned the money and took my amp back.
i must admit that I sometimes feel the overdriven sound could have a bit more of this or a bit more of that - I'm sure everyone feels like that about any amp they own otherwise everyone would own just 1 good amp for the rest of their lives.
what it coms down to is that the English is a great amp that I must not ever sell. it's got probably " the " best clean sound for fingerstyle Jazz that I've ever come across and the overdrive sounds are totally unique and sound like no other amp I've played !
human nature dictates that we as humans are constantly on the lookout for something better - Job, More money, new wife, new amp !!!!
the English is a Keeper - it's not perfect but it's a classic and one day it will be sought after by many!!
I'm holding on to mine with both hands and will only buy more Alessandro stuff but never sell an Alessandro amp - when I'm tired of a particular sound I'll just store the amp for a few months before making a decision I'll regret in future.

glman

Great sounding clips.I've been on the fence about getting a English and your clips make me want to check one out.I'm within driving distance from Alessandro's shop.I should give him a call and see if I can stop by and play through one in person.
you are so lucky to be able to just drive to " George's " shop - I live in South africa and rely on clips.
Anyway I'm sure you've read my sentiments on George's stuff.
if you do get down to his shop please try the beagle,bluetick,plott and BnT next to the english and tell me what you think - I know it's a bit much to ask but I would love to hear your opinion on these 4 amps from someone who's played them side by side.
I'm in the process of ordering a Bluetick to go with my English and your opinion could help !

glman

it's the newer copper chassis - it's got silver plating but the silver is starting to wear out in places and the copper is shining through.

my only complaint with the English is that to my ears after about an hour of playing - it seems as if the amp cleans up and there is less gain - nothing wrong but i prefer the amp in the first 15 minutes .I've asked george about this but he offered no advice other than to say that most people experienced the opposite - amp having more gain after playing for extended periods of time. this could also be my ears getting used to the sound and wanting more......?? but i think it could be the heat effecting the components and changing the sound slightly.
I'm going to try keeping a small fan blowing on the tubes while playing to see if it makes a difference.
other than that the amp is absolutely lovely to play.
here's an update on the sound changing after the amp heats up - I've solved the problem by keeping a small fan on the back of the amp with the back cover off.
this amp gets really hot and cooks the tubes.
I don't know if it's my ears that were dedeiving me or my hands sweating after a while and the guitar and amp feeling different because of that .
Anyway I've been playing solid for 2 hours + and the amp is behaving nicely - it must be the fan keeping the amp temp cool.

M I K E D.

Gold Supporting Member
just stumbled on this thread-

monster tone and feel on those clips; very "chewy" sounding.

Trending Topics