Alessandro English+PRS245 New video clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by glman, May 3, 2008.

1. glman

glman Member

Here's a new video clip of my Alessandro English and my new PRS 245 -
    I think this clip is better than my previous clips cause this time I hooked up my Shure SM57 and recorded into logic 8.
    there's no effects whatsoever - the clip is completely dry with no processing at all.
    I've had to convert to MPEG 2 so it's down to 16 bit and quality is compromised.
    I'll do some clips with the Bluetick soon - I just had to get my previous English clip upgraded cause it was actually not that great and I'm sure this will give a better idea of what the English sounds like .
    PS - the amp is fully attenuated through the muzzle - if I take the muzzle off the sound improves drastically - more balls and thickness/body - but I'm recording this at soft volume to give a real world example of what this amp sounds like in a home environment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztltQbSxGWY

2. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Amazing. That is the exact tone in my head, all the way from clean to mean. It sucks finding the exact tone you want, then finding out you can't afford it. Oh well, looks like I've got a lot of saving to do.

3. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

4. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

VERY NICE!

You've got a great touch, and great lines; killer playing there!

The amp compliments your style a lot, extremely responsive and very nice elements of added bloom to the tone.

Nice demo man, thanks so much for sharing.

5. coxswain

coxswain Member

Sounds awesome! I'm so glad PRS made that guitar. Great use of the volume knob.

Chase

6. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

nice demo, easy to listen to and shows what the gear can do w/o a lot of crap in the way. Thanks.

7. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Nice tone and nice playing.

8. glman

glman Member

I must say that although the English is not cheap it's not as expensive as some other offerings and it's an amp I'll never sell.
    I've said this hundreds of times before and I'll say it again - the best thing about this amp is the simplicity - I feel that the need to stomp on a switch to go to overdrive just spoils things - the ability to turn your guitar volume up and make the amp sing is what it's all about - pure tone without any mumbo jumbo boxes - no need to do the highland fling to get different tones - hehehe

9. glman

glman Member

thanx

10. glman

glman Member

thanx man - I've been raving about Alessandro amps for a while now and this is the first clip that I feel does the amp justice.
    I did some mediocre clips ( IMO ) when I first got the amp and I also posted a crappy video a few weeks ago so this clip was just to set the record straight about what this amp really sounds like with the muzzle - it's gets 50% better if I take the muzzle off - less buzz and thicker/ballsier sound but it also gets quite loud so I cannot do a no muzzle clip at present as my studio is booked 24/7 and I'm forced to do the clips at home.

11. glman

glman Member

The SC245 is the perfect 59 Les Paul that I could never afford - what you're hearing is the exact tone this guitar produces - no tricks/pedals/reverb/delay etc........
    IMO this is the way guitars should be demoed - as soon as you put a pedal in front of an amp you're effectively changing the circuit

12. glman

glman Member

thanx for the compliment - in reference to " crap in the way " my exact sentiments - I also hate pedals with a passion - the word " Treble Booster " just makes my skin crawl - but I respect the fact that " Many millions " of other guitarists love their " Pedal Boards " with a huge assortment of pedal/effects.
    I got off the pedal bandwagon about 20 years ago when I realized that with the right amp and guitar - if your tone is right at the source you're getting a purity that eludes the pedal pusher crowd - and if you're in a large band that can afford to hire a soundman he can add whatever is necessary at the board.
    I'm sure that this is not practical for the average gigging muso out there who needs to get 20 different sounds out of a simple rig in order to do his Job - therefore my rig/sound will probably only fit into the kinda stuff you're hearing me do -

13. glman

glman Member

thanx

14. Ironman

Ironman Member

Nice harmonic content, very sweet sounding! Would love to hear your SC245 through your Slash too. You still packing that amp?

I broke down and bought an SC245, should be here next week. I'm a LP Historic fan and thought I'd try something different but similar to mix things up a little.

Thanks for posting!

15. glman

glman Member

thanx - I'll see if I can do a clip of the SC245 and the Slash in the coming week - the slash needs to be a bit cranked to sound good but I'll see what I can do - if I remember correctly plugging into the slash after playing the English was a bit of an anti climax - the English is just so harmonically rich - it really gets the output stage cooking - when I plugged into the slash it was almost like going into a fuzz box all over again - I used to love the Slash but the more I play the English and bluetick the more difficult it becomes for me to play anything else - especially channel switching amps that change the gain structure of the sound - I like turning down and getting a hairy clean and then turning up my guitar volume for creamy Overdrive - - nothing beats the feeling!
    by the way - the SC245 is hands down the best Les Paul type guitar I've ever laid hands/eyes on - the feel of this guitar is what I imagined it to be - and the sound is thick and creamy but with enough bite - even on the neck pickup - it suits my Alessandro English like hand in glove - so much so that I'm selling my Santana II

16. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Great amp! But I guess some of the tone has to do with the player too - great chops.
    I liked very much the fact that the amp can make your guitar sound almost 'acoustic', in the sense you can clearly hear all the notes of a chord and then you morph into this beautiful, sustainy overdrive that is just gorgeous!
    Congratulations all around!
    Any chances of posting a youtube video with the 'Tick?
    By the way, thank you very much for your posts.

17. glman

glman Member

thank you for the compliment!
    I'll definitely be doing a bluetick clip soon - I just had to do a proper clip with the English first as my previous You tube clip was actually not that great.
    I love posting here - it's my way of giving back something to the people from whom I've learnt so much - if it wasn't for TGP I wouldn't even have heard about Alessandro amps or any of the wonderful amps out there.
    I'm not a contributing member yet so taking time to make some clips and post them is the least I can do.
    this place has helped me grow as a musician - lots of great people here who share the same passion.
    thanx again for listening - I love both my Alessandros but I have to admit that at the risk of sounding crazy - I'm preferring the English to the bluetick .
    I know that 2 weeks ago I was raving about the BT and it is awsome - thick and ballsy but the English just has this harmonic complexity and there's some special mojo that this amp has when you play it that's hard to describe.
    it took about a year for it to sound the way it does in the clip.
    a lot of it also has to do with the fact that the BT is still new - I'm going to play it for the next couple of months and then I'll put in a nice RCA 5691 in V1 and see what happens to the tone
    also - this is a bit of backtracking but I'm now back on the RCA 5691 in V1 - it just oozes tone - I've stuck with the tung sol 6SL7 in V2 as it just adds a bit of punch to compliment the smoothness of the 5691.
    there are a lot of great amps out there- I've found my perfect setup.
    SC245 + Alessandro English - desert Island setup.

just for the record - I'm using Analysis plus Studio Pro Oval instrument cable, Analysis Plus Oval 12 speaker cable and Siren II speaker cab wiring cable which I got from mark at Lavacable - great guy BTW.
    to me - the siren II in the cab makes a noticeable difference from the cheap twin flex that was in there before

18. glman

glman Member

thanx
    I went through a stage where I was testing different tubes - I've settled on the following
    Pre amp tubes - V1 RCA 5691 red base black Plate V2 - tung sol 6SL7 re -issue
    Output tubes - JJ-EL84's - Groove tubes matched quad rating of 3
    I find the higher ratings make the amp sound a bit too hard and clean - especially when warmed up. - i've tried ratings of 6 and 5
    I find that this amp actually gets louder and cleaner after about an hour of constant playing - it could be my ears playing tricks on me - nothing bad - just something I've noticed about this amp.

19. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

This is the first time I've heard an Alessandro amp, sounds great, nice job!!! ...I notice the whole time you stayed on the neck pickup, do you have any clips in the middle position and bridge? Thanks!

20. Telephant

Telephant Member

Sounds damn good to me.