Alessandro love?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DrJamie, Sep 13, 2005.

1. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

Had a Black and Tan some years back, and didn't bond with it. I still love that compact head size, and keep thinking about another try. Anybody played a Bluetick that Guitar Player loved so much? Thanks, Jamie.

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Not a Blue Tick, but I have a stock Beagle and a high-end English that are both great amps. I also used to have a Redbone that sounded teriffic... just way too loud for my application...

At the end of the day, the Beagle is my absolute favorite out of ALL of George's amps....! :dude

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

what was it about the BnT you didnt dig?

the Blue Tick is pretty much its bigger bro. tell us what didnt work, and what does, and maybe we can steer you in the right direction.

but count me as a HUGE fan of george's work. i've owned the Beagle, and BnT, but needed more power, and went w/ the Blue Tick. and i have an English on order. heck, i use his attenuator and cabling, too! the man pWNS when it comes to the high/hifi/end.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Jae,
    Did you bother ordering with any of the high end components? It came up a couple of weeks ago and the consensus (then...) was that the basic set up in George's amps sounded better........

Best, Pete.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hey pete,

cause i live near George's shop, i've been lucky to try a few amps in both the standard and high end configs. and, i've played a few experimental iterations using different combinations of audioquest wire, his new more affordable copper wire that's in the Working Dogs, Black Gate caps, regular caps, paper in oil pots, not paper in oil pots, etc.

so, my own preference is to use the new copper wire, w/ Black Gates, w/ Paper in Oil pots.

wire-wise, the difference btwn the audioquest wire and new copper wire is pretty subtle, yet there is a slight "feel" difference. the AQ stuff is a tad bit stiffer, and yet a touch more responsive and snappy. kinda like that feel akin to the Two Rock Opal. but the copper wire is a tad bit more vibey and loose. and yet, no loss in fidelity. think it may add a touch more chime.

but for me, the Black Gates are a must. adds a background of low end, that also adds more 3D depth to the cleans. grab 'em while you can, cause i heard they might be out of supply in the long term.

pots wise, the paper in oil arent that much different, but i think the upcharge is nominal enough to justify at least getting 'em.

now, with all this said, the standards are TERRIFIC amps. had i not heard the high end, i'd still be a huge fan of george's work. there's nothing he cant do. but once you've tasted the good stuff, the good stuff does taste good. :cool:

6. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

I sent George my amp in the early spring. When we spoke he told me that my Beagle (Hi End) is what the Beagle is supposed to sound like (blowing smoke up my ass? a good possibiliy) When talking about it, he feels that the high end components age much better than the standard it the difference really shows after a few years. My Beagle is 6 or seven years old at this point.

When I bought mine he also suggested that that I only get the high end if I was going to run the amp through a Blue. He said I would not hear a difference with any other speaker.

7. v-verb

v-verb Member

I think that he's an artist. I had a hi-end BnT that I loved and stupidly traded, and now have a standard Redbone that has an amazing clean tone and wonderful plexi overdrtive.

Terrific amps that are way undervalued.

8. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Does the BnT get close to the BlueBreaker tone with a pair of blues?

9. v-verb

v-verb Member

I think so as it has a slightly rolled off tone, BUT we all hear different.

See if you can borrow one - perhaps George has a loaner

10. DrJamie

I probably acted in haste. I loved the BnT on gigs, but didn't like recording with it. I think I had it opened up, and felt it was flubby on the low end. In this studio, I could play really loud, and was going for a thick (think 355 into a Marshall) thing. My lack of experiance was the biggest factor in my disappointment. I've learned alot about getting good tone recorded in ther last few years. I did have a Bloodhound for a short time, from a trade, and didn't really check it out until a guy who came to buy it, plugged in a LP, cranked it, and WOW! That was a sound! I did think I'd be happier with the Blue Tick, more power when needed, and use a Muzzle (I have 3) when needed. By the way, I leave my 4 ohm in my Vicky Double Deluxe, and on small gigs, it's a blast. Getting back to the studio, my cab may have had something to do with my low end also, a Matchless with 2 V-30's. Thanks. J

11. Ogre

Ogre Member

My Alessandro Redbone Coonhound is my favorite amp!

12. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Jamie, I bought the B n T from you, correct? Walnut cab??

I *LOVED* the cleans on that amp, the OD was not exactly my cup of tea.... I liked my English much better..... but the Constellation displaced the English a couple months back.

Alessandro amps that I've tried get a very 'wooden' overdrive sound. The highs roll off substantially when cranked. You either like it or don't. I'm kinda lukewarm on it. :)

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yum, Yum, Mike - I like that! Corpulent Deluxe.....
    Bloody good job we don't all like the same sound:
    a. The Gear Page would be boring.
    b. We'd all be chasing the same amp.

Best, Pete.

14. DrJamie

Yup, it's me. I also loved the cleans. The Bloodhound had that fat, juicy overdrive, and that's an AB type amp, I believe. The BnT just didn't have a sweetness to the overdrive. It did however sound great on the job.

15. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Love the Redbone Coonhound!
    Love the English!
    Great amps!
    George is a genius, IMO.
    S.
    j

16. joel

joel Member

I've got that amp now. With EL34s, I thought it had a bit of a fizzy sound when driven. I've got EL37s in it now, which I think gives the best edge-of-clean tone. A nice pair of 6L6's seems to do the best at both clean and overdrive. BnT has a plump tone. My other two Aly's (beagle and plotthound) are crisper, the beagle having the most choice overdrive to my tastes. Plott does the chimey woody clean, sounds great with a hollowbody. My preferences will probably change tomorrow, or even tonight if I get a chance to play. I need to sell one of them some day, but I haven't been able to decide which one...

17. v-verb

v-verb Member

GT KT66's are geat in the BnT amp as well!

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

What speaker is everyone using with the Beagle - Celestion Blue?
    Anyone tried a Greenback or Red Fang?
    Sorry, I just happen to like good Greenbacks........

Best, Pete.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

Blues are by far the best, and REALLY bring out that sweetened voxy chime. wired up in series for 16 ohms RAWKS. Red Fang's are great, too, but the Blues are best.

George's own "Pre-Rola" G12 reproductions are great, too! has a very cool unreal chime that isnt quite as gooey as the Blues, but when overdriven stays together better, and really brings out that woody, throatie character.

currently, i have an open back 2x12 hooked up w/ an Alessandro G12 and a vintage silver bell that George reconed for me, and its by far THE BEST speaker setup i've heard for his amps.

next NYC ampfest, i'll be sure to bring it. :cool: