Alessandro Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trisonic, Aug 6, 2005.

1. trisonic

trisonic Member

Exactly what "options" on the Alessandro line (eg Beagle head) are worth getting or looking out for?

Thanks, Pete.

2. Ogre

Ogre Member

You can go with the Black Gate filter caps, and other audiophile upgrades(silver wiring, NOS tubes), but my experience is that these amps sound GREAT in their base form. I also recommend passing on the gold chassis option. ($50,000)

3. larrylover

larrylover Member

Ogre,

You are crazy and a fool to pass on the gold chassis option. It is absolutely essential. You just have not heard that amp -- and nothing can touch it -- with the gold chassis. One might as well not spend one penny on an Alessandro if you won't get the gold chassis. It will be the best $52,600 one has ever spent.

On a more serious note, Alessandro has an upgrade package to his standard amps called "High End." The high end package consists of three things: black gate caps, silver wire, and one other item I forget. The cost of the High End upgrade is, I think, an additional $400 to the price of a standard amp. I think the High End package makes a world of difference and makes a great amp superb. It adds more of what makes the amps great -- the amp sounds more open, more ease in the sound, highs are sweeter, bottom is clearer, and the distorted sounds are smoother and more musical.

As for old stock tubes -- I would do that, if at all, on my own.

Wood cabs other than oak or birch painted black are also available for additional cost. These look superb, but can be forgone if the cosmetic difference is not significant to the buyer.

4. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Does anyone have any clips of an Alessandro? I was looking at them for a long time, but I couldn't find ANYTHING about them apart from a few scant reviews.

I'm looking for a low-powered clean/mild OD type amp and was kind of glancing at the Black n' Tan... anyone?

5. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

he makes great stuff.

I had the first English ever made. George talked me into selling it to get a high end version and I regreted it.
    The low end amps without all the high end enhancing audiofile things are better in my opinion.
    Less clack.

6. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Grr... their website is useless. Their amps are sold in very few places, and there's no way to even get any sort of feeling for how their amps sound... the two people they have clips of, one of 'em uses the Working Dog amps.

7. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

In fact, they aren't sold anywhere, are they?

8. larrylover

larrylover Member

there are a few dealers who have limited amounts of things. They are on his website, I believe.

I have played a standard english and a high end english. I liked both very much, but preferred the high end version for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post. I think these things are obviously subjective.

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

George told me that the high end upgrades make the amp 'bluesier' .... didn't clarify what that meant, but I took that to mean less mean.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I have the "stock" Beagle in a black poplar cabinet, and the "High-End" English in a gorgeous flamed Koa cabinet.

I greatly prefer the stock Beagle.... but that's just me... ;)

11. teddys

teddys Member

I owned Lance's# 1 a few years back, sold it. and had mucho remorse.

I bought greg c's "high end" English an his Bob Burt 1x12. Then I put in a Fane blue. Holy Moly!!

Sound clips ala Jackaroo are on the NYC Tonefest CD,
    Those in lawngisland are more than welcome to come on over and check it out.

A stellar amp, I use a HOTCAKE to slap it around a bit:D

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

Sounds like the consensus is to get the bog-standard version..........
    but in the solid gold chassis.................:D

Thanks guys, as usual the depth of Forumite knowledge is astonishing.

Alan - If I get over to LI, I'll let you know. Your "Pro" requires some worship.

Best, Pete.

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Pete, I don't kow where in NJ you are, but you're welcome to come and play through my Beagle or my English...

14. Ogre

Ogre Member

Pete- And if you are ever headed to Austin TX, I have a Alessandro Redbone Coonhound that will make a believer out of you!

15. trisonic

trisonic Member

Man, I've gotta get to Austin - never been!

Best, Pete.

16. joel

joel Member

Lextr,
    The BnT is the smoother/fatter of the 3 little Alys. Beagle & Plott are crisper. Beagle has the fiercer overdrive, and Plott has the chime. BnT doesn't chime. It can sound quite different of course, depending if you've got EL34s, EL37s, 6L6s, 5881s in it. I promise to maybe try to learn how to put some clips up this year, unless I'm too lazy or I drink too much beer. /jd

17. trisonic

trisonic Member

Baz told me about the last jam - I couldn't make it due to daughter's confirmation (i.e. no excuse worked at all). Too embarassed to jam (incipient joint trouble at present) but would love to visit and try soon. This Summer seems busy and endless......
    Oh, nearest town is Westfield.

Best, Pete.

18. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I love my Alessandro English with the upgrade and through an Alessandro cabinet. Clear, chimey, natural compression. Oh my god the 6th string on my Strat copy. I haven't been able to turn it up (neighbors and all that) - so my comments are based on playing mostly clean at low volumes. I told George what kind of sound I was looking for and he recommended the English. So, if you don't know what model, talk to him. I bought it just based on reviews & talking to George and without ever having heard one and I'm completely satisfied. It revealed limitations in the room & other equipment and, while it caused me to spend more money, things are sounding better all the time.

BTW, I worry about it running hot so I got one of those little square fans that fits in the corner of a doorway and aimed it at the back of the head. Works great.