Alessandro Rhodesian or American Coonhound

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Nice!! I can tell that the amp is capable of some really big breakup and still retains the note separation without getting mushy in the gain. I can't really tell for certain, but it sounds like a bigger/wider range sounding 6V6 amp with a more clear breakup.

rah3

bbill,

Great set of amps and cabs.

I own a Italian Greyhound (1st unit produced), a BlueTick (1st unit produced), a English with a gold on copper chassis.

I've gigging been both the English and Bluetick (6v6's) on 2 2 x12 Alessandro cabs with Celestion Blues. I also own a Alessandro 1 x 12 cab and a Working Dog Boxer with a 1 12".

The American is my next purchase.

-RAH3

bbill

Nice!! I can tell that the amp is capable of some really big breakup and still retains the note separation without getting mushy in the gain. I can't really tell for certain, but it sounds like a bigger/wider range sounding 6V6 amp with a more clear breakup.
I have not played 6V6 amps enough to have any knowledge of them. The Bluetick was designed around 6V6's, but I have always run EL34's in mine.

bbill

bbill,

Great set of amps and cabs.

I own a Italian Greyhound (1st unit produced), a BlueTick (1st unit produced), a English with a gold on copper chassis.

I've gigging been both the English and Bluetick (6v6's) on 2 2 x12 Alessandro cabs with Celestion Blues. I also own a Alessandro 1 x 12 cab and a Working Dog Boxer with a 1 12".

The American is my next purchase.

-RAH3
Rah3,

Beautiful amps. That gold with white knobs is something else.

I played a lot of gigs with the Redbone driving a Marshall 4x12 with re-issue greenbacks. With the PRS and a Klon, it is a great gigging rig. Sounded great in the band mix, and punched right through. My band fell apart, and I haven't gigged since I have acquired the others. I have been in jams with the English, and it performed similarly. Just exceptional amps.

bbill

rah3

It would be great to have a Dog Pack Meetup one of these days. Where are all the Dog owners located?
I'm in NYC and the Hamptons.

-RAH3

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
It would be great to have a Dog Pack Meetup one of these days. Where are all the Dog owners located?
I'm in NYC and the Hamptons.

-RAH3
I'm in the Mid-West, but have family in DC that I visit several times per year. An East Coast dog show is in order, my friend! Maybe meet 1/2 way at George's shop?

Here's my one and only dog- the High End Black 'n Tan with every possible option except for the precious metal chassis. Currently running....wait for it...vintage 60's Genelex Gold Lion KT66's!! You have not lived until you've heard vintage KT66's through an amp of this caliber.

Looking to add a High End Beagle to the kennel at some point. Played one some time ago (a non-high end one) and thought it was stellar.

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
skhan007: I've got KT66s in my BnT and I'd appreciate it if you would not mention vintage KT66s anymore. My spending is outta control as it is.

I'd be happy to bring my BnT and Plott (traded a Bluetron away for it - who got the better end of the deal?) to a get together. Not sure if George would like us all descending on his place but maybe at the next NY/NJ amp show? Let's show those Dumble freaks a thing or two!

bbill

skhan007: I've got KT66s in my BnT and I'd appreciate it if you would not mention vintage KT66s anymore. My spending is outta control as it is.

I'd be happy to bring my BnT and Plott (traded a Bluetron away for it - who got the better end of the deal?) to a get together. Not sure if George would like us all descending on his place but maybe at the next NY/NJ amp show? Let's show those Dumble freaks a thing or two!
Don't think I'd be able to swing one of these shows. Too much other stuff going on.

The next Alessandro for me will be a Black 'N Tan (not for a long time, wife would kill me for the foreseeable future). I am familiar with a Dr. Z Route 66 loaded with NOS Genelex KT66's. Any comparison? Do you guys like the BnT better with the KT66's or EL34"s?

Here is a better quality clean clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3ligLs1lo&feature=related

Beautiful amp, skhan007. What wood is that?

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
It's quilted mahogany. Fairly hard to come by, or so George told me. Bbill- where are you located? East Coast?

I've never heard the Dr.Z before, but they're very popular and most guys praise those amps. I have some '61 Mullard XF1 EL34's that sound amazing in the BnT. The amp goes to a whole new gain territory with good EL34's- sounds like a JTM-50, but with a bit less crunch and more big sustaining singing notes. With the KT66's, it has less gain (like a JTM 45 or similar), but has a much bigger sound, bigger lows and dynamic highs. Hard to describe, as these amps have such a unique sound, that I hate to compare them to anything else. I've run this amp with 6v6, EL34 (many different NOS brands), EL37, and KT66. I'd say the KT66 is my favorite with the XF1 Mullard EL34's in a close second place.

TDJMB- sorry, not trying to fuel your GAS for vintage tubes. I just got mine after REALLY searching for some that I could afford (I've seen Gold Lions go for $500/pair as NOS, but I got my used, so much much cheaper). Keep in mind- the vintage tube market is waaaay down right now- deals are out there (but again, I'm definitely not trying to fuel your GAS! Just sayin').

bbill

It's quilted mahogany. Fairly hard to come by, or so George told me. Bbill- where are you located? East Coast?

I've never heard the Dr.Z before, but they're very popular and most guys praise those amps. I have some '61 Mullard XF1 EL34's that sound amazing in the BnT. The amp goes to a whole new gain territory with good EL34's- sounds like a JTM-50, but with a bit less crunch and more big sustaining singing notes. With the KT66's, it has less gain (like a JTM 45 or similar), but has a much bigger sound, bigger lows and dynamic highs. Hard to describe, as these amps have such a unique sound, that I hate to compare them to anything else. I've run this amp with 6v6, EL34 (many different NOS brands), EL37, and KT66. I'd say the KT66 is my favorite with the XF1 Mullard EL34's in a close second place.

TDJMB- sorry, not trying to fuel your GAS for vintage tubes. I just got mine after REALLY searching for some that I could afford (I've seen Gold Lions go for $500/pair as NOS, but I got my used, so much much cheaper). Keep in mind- the vintage tube market is waaaay down right now- deals are out there (but again, I'm definitely not trying to fuel your GAS! Just sayin').
The Dr. Z is a nice amp, but I prefer the Alessandros. I believe the Dr. Z is supposed to be in the JTM 45 arena, but I'm not sure. Somebody correct me here if I am wrong.

I agree with you guys. NOS tubes do make a big, sometimes huge difference.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I was just cranking the 'ol Black 'n Tan today and really think it does the job well in the JTM-45 cateogry. Much more musical and bigger tonal palette, of course.

Here's a lower cost NOS tube recommendation: Vintage 6V6G's. If your amp is running less than 300 volts on the plates (as is the case with mine), these are safe to run. They have the early breakup of 6V6's, but the tonal range (big, round, full, lows and low mids) of KT66's. These are GE's from 1940 and less than $100 for the duet.

joel

Those coke-bottle 6V6G's have a cool sound. I got a quad of them out of an old 'hifi'. I run them in my Clark Gullah, a dual-tweed-champ with oversized iron, a roaring crunch monster without shaking the house apart. Nothing beats Mullards in the B&T for me though, can't exactly put my finger on the reason.

Hey Khan, if you're interested in a Beagle, let me know. It's time for me to set mine free. /jd

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Those coke-bottle 6V6G's have a cool sound. I got a quad of them out of an old 'hifi'. I run them in my Clark Gullah, a dual-tweed-champ with oversized iron, a roaring crunch monster without shaking the house apart. Nothing beats Mullards in the B&T for me though, can't exactly put my finger on the reason.

Hey Khan, if you're interested in a Beagle, let me know. It's time for me to set mine free. /jd
Hello, my friend! Great to hear from you- yes, sending you a PM.

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
I played a BnT and fell in love with the clean ...I`d love a sound like that with more headroom ...I`m not really interested in the rock n roll thing that happens up the dial .
So ... does George make something else that behaves that way ?

Trending Topics