Alessandro WD Rottweiler vs Gries 35

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by empty71, Jul 3, 2006.

1. empty71

empty71 Member

Hey all,

This is a shot in the dark but I'm seriously considering either the Alessandro Working Dog Rottweiler or the Gries 35 to replace my soon to be sold Reverend Kingsnake 1X12 combo.

My requirements for the replacement amp are as follows. PTP wiring, single channel, single input, 6L6 equipped with master volume and reverb. The amp should be able to stay clean at gigging volume. I use pedals to get my OD/Fuzz tones.

I’ve read all the reviews I can find on-line on both amps and am presently leaning toward the Gries coz it’s a better constructed amp with solid pine cabinet and all but I’ve been jonesing for the Rottweiler since George introduced the amp some years back.

I’ve e-mailed both builders regarding their amps but since it’s a long weekend, I doubt I’ll be hearing from them soon.

Any comment on either amp is appreciated as I live in Singapore and even though a trial period is available for the amps, it’s really expensive to return the amp.

Thanks and happy holidays.

2. Roe

Roe Member

I can recommend the rottweiler. it sounds best with amp vol on 5-8 and guitar vol on 2-10. build quality is excellent. however I have a head. I don't know if the combo can compete with nice fender or marshall style ext cabs.

3. Roe

Roe Member

i haven't tried the gries, but it seems to be much closer to a blackface fender than the rottweiler is. the rottweiler is not a fender clone at all.

4. empty71

empty71 Member

Thanks for your thoughts Roe. Did you get your amp direct from George or from one of his dealers? I noticed you're in Norway, how much was shipping?

5. Roe

Roe Member

I got it from george when i stayed in british colombia. shipping wasn't much.

6. empty71

empty71 Member

Wow!!! That was fast. Thanks. Appreciate it :)

7. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I just pulled the trigger on a Rott 1 12 as the AmpRoom was liquidating its stock. Won't be here for another 10 days probably, but I WILL know more then.

jon

8. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Here's a vote for the Gries amps. Great Fendery clean tones. I got a chance to play a few at Junior's a while back and was really impresssed with the tone and build quality. I'll probably pick up the 35 when the time is right.

I think Junior could drop ship you one....

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=146285

9. empty71

empty71 Member

Thanks bluesdoc and milesat. I've already e-mailed Paul at Juniors and Scott at TheAmpRoom but they both only ship within the U.S.:(

I guess that's understandable as shipping an amp overseas has a lot more risks involved.

The good news is Dave Gries replied to my e-mail and we're trying to work everything out.

My Reverend Kingsnake got picked up a couple of hours ago and although I still have a Goblin to tide me over, I would like to get a replacement 1X12 a.s.a.p.:)

10. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

I've never tried the Gries, but I do own a Rottweiler 1-12 combo, with a Weber Classic alnico speaker. I swapped out the 6L6s for 5881s. The Rottweiler is a nice amp, and the final output control works really well, especially nice for low volume playing at home. It has very nice clarity and definition, and takes to pedals well. The amp has plenty of clean headroom, even at half power output; definitely needs pedals to drive it into OD/distortion zone. And the creamy/jangly switch is very cool, allowing much tonal flexability My complaints about the amp are:

1) The reverb on it is very subtle. . . . too subtle in fact. I don't even begin to notice verb until about 3 o'clock, and it doesn't have much more on tap. I'm not at all into overdrenched, surfy reverb, but it's nice to have a decent amount on tap to really add depth and ambience. I did use a Maxon AD909 delay pedal in conjunction with the amp's reverb to add some spaciousness to things and got a really nice sound. My issue with that, however (and it may not be a big deal for others), is that the amp has no efx loop, and I really don't like running delay through the front of an amp, especially when adding distortion.

2) I also found the low end to be somewhat flabby after a certain (not much) point.

I gigged with the amp a few times with a funk/fusion combo with horns, and a jazz combo. The amp cut through the mix fine, and the cleans stayed clean, but somehow in the end I just felt that there was something missing for me sound and feel wise. It's well built and very straightforward to use. Some may complain about a lack of an external speaker jack with the combo (Alessandro says people could just use a Y cable). The amp is really lightweight, which is nice for folks like me with bad backs. However, I'm probably going to sell the amp as I find my modded Fender DRRI to be more my ticket for small, portable amps. The Rottweiler definitely has a lot of blackface vibe, but it wouldn't be fair at all to say it strictly is a BF clone.

Cheers,

-- Sunil

11. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

What about Allen amps? If you put 6l6s in the Accomplice it could put out a decent amount of wattage.

12. Roe

Roe Member

the rottweiler reverb is subtle but great. not like a blackface at all. the bass is less flabby than most fenders. it overdrives quite easily if you ask me. :D

allen doesn't ship outside the usa

13. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Another +1 for the Rottweiler.

I picked mine up used for a great price and have loved it from the beginning. I, too, went with Nos 5881s as well as RCA Preamp tubes.

It's got more balls than a Deluxe Reverb, not as bright, and definitely NOT flabby on the low end. With Humbuckers, on the creamy setting, you can get that natural, organic, overdrive at about Noon on the volume, more on tap as you turn up... best with mids turned up. The Final Output Control (really an attenuator, not a MV... it keeps the tone unaffected while giving you the output of a 20 watt amp at full attenuation) is a miracle knob.

The Tone controls are exceptionally interactive and you can go from very subdued jazz tones to near BF brightness without touching a volume or attenuation setting at all. Scoop the mid control, turn up the bass and treble, set the toggle to "jangly", the reverb over halfway and you are right in the Pro-Reverb, Vibro-verb, even Super Reverb territory. Next set the Mid at 3:00, Treble at 3:00, bass at 11:00, toggle to "Creamy", FOC to max attenuation, and volume at 2:00 to 3:00 and plug in a Humbucker axe and you are AC/DC territory at moderate volumes with no pedals. Back off on the treble a bit and go to a Single Coil and you are inTweed Territory.

As for pedals, I have tried a ton of them and it loves them all. A Zendrive sounds awesome, my favorites being a Keeley Tubescreamer and a Barber Direct Drive for two separate levels of natural-sounding overdrive and into the early distortion stages for more bottom end that a 1X12 should give you.

At 3:00 am, as you tote the 35 lb (with ceramic speaker!) amp back to your car at the same time as your gear bag, pedal board and guitar, you will thank George Alessandros mother for giving birth to such a genius.

Never tried the Gries, so I can't make a comparison, but against all the other amps I have used (SRRI, several Boogies, Marshall, Bassman, Peavey, etc...) it is by far the best so far.

14. empty71

empty71 Member

Thanks guys for all your comments:dude

For the sake of disclosure, I use Maple necked Strats and the 3 pedals I own are the RMC picture wah, Skreddy Screw Driver and Skreddy Top Fuel:)

Dave Gries has gotten back to me and I'm still waiting on George Alessandro's reply to my e-mail.

15. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I have only played the Rotty, but its a cool amp! Nice clean tones, and nice light overdrive. Its a bit Hi Fi sounding in the cleans. (Reminds me a bit of my Fuchs clean tones) The reverb stinks, and the Attenuator does not do much. I thought about one for a while, but in the end, I am more a real Fender fan. I really dig my HR Deville 4/10 more in that price range.

16. hemlock

hemlock Guest

My experience exactly but with a HRD 212.

17. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I am glad you agree, but why no correction on the english and spelling this time? :confused: I am a bit disappointed.

:D

18. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, I'm hoping to like mine (incoming Rott). Great price on a new one, excellent form factor/weight, and I get all my OD and effects in front of the amp. We'll see......

jon

19. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have the Gries 35. Great amp and Dave is one of the best.

I hope it all works out for you.

20. hemlock

hemlock Guest

English should be capitalized.:moon :D