Alessandro Working Dog Amps--anybody played one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jake5, Oct 10, 2006.

1. jake5

jake5 Supporting Member

Who out there has played through one of these amps? Thinking of buying one, but I don't have a dealer in the area to try one out. I'm looking for a good solid clean tone, amp that takes pedals well, flexibility...i play blues, funk, rock, fusion...etc.

The one I'm looking at is the single 12 Doberman 40 watts/ w/ 2 EL34's. I'm worried it may sound "small" though w/only a single 12. I play at home and in small bars/clubs. So I don't need a ton of power, but I'm not sure of the headroom on this amp?

Any insight would be great...thanks guys.

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

It won't sound small, by any stretch.

I don't think you'll find as much clean in there as in, say, a Twin... these amps tend to break-up a bit earlier with some compression -- more like a Tweed -- but otherwise, I think they sound huge.

For small to medium-size clubs, this would be very versatile and gig-worthy, IMO...

3. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I had a 1x12 thought it was very versatile and had good clean and headroom it used 6L6s though. Great amps at a very good price in my opinion.

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I played through the 2x10 and had to use pedals but I found it to be extremely lightweight and phenomenally toneful.

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I played the Rotty and loved it. One of the best deals out there IMO. My only complaint is the reverb. A boutique that truly deserves to be called one. That is very rare to my ear.

6. dzo

dzo Member

I have a Boxer 1x12 and it sounds huge for it's size.

7. Terp

Terp Member

I have the 20 watt Boxer 2 6v6 with 2 10 jensens in it. I play classic rock and blues. I was worried that this amp may be under powered for the small clubs and would not give me the head room for the cleaner stuff. After A/B ing it with my buddy's 4x10 rottweiler 40 watter. I was suprised at how loud and clean I could get it. Or how fat and chunky I could make it also. The thing with these amps are that the Middle knob switch acctually works. If you want more break up turn it up. If you want clean turn it down. Once your dial in the tone you like you can bring up your volume with the 50% knob and not lose your tone or have to tweek things again. Playing live and in the bedroom are to way different animals. It has a great vibe to it. Like it was said earlier the Reverb is almost not there. Very light. I think a 40 watt 1x12 would do what you want it to do just fine. You can always e-mail or call George and tell him what you want and he will be more than happy to recommend the model and speaker combination for you. Along with tube selection for more or less breakup. I hope that helps

8. jake5

jake5 Supporting Member

Thanks so much guys...I took the plunge and bought the Doberman today!!! I'm pretty freakin' excited! Should be here hopefully by the weekend. I'll post some opinions once I've had a little time w/ it.

9. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Definitely post your opinions. I'm planning to add an EL34 amp next year and the Doberman is on my list of amps to consider.

10. r9player

Congrats let us know how it turns out!

11. jake5

jake5 Supporting Member

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh my freakin' goodness! i'm not going to go to far and get all specific and all right now b/c i've haven't even hooked this thing up to my entire board yet. but this is hands down the best amp i've ever owned...and i've only spent about an hour and a half w/ it.
    a simple statement will cover it. THE ABSOLUTE BEST CLEAN TONE I've ever heard. It's just huge, warm, rich, and PHAT! I'm running the master volume (final output control) at 100%, but i haven't even got the volume to 25% yet. and this thing is loud at 25%. plenty loud to gig w/ at that level if you're miked...but i don't even think you could go to 40% unmiked at small to medium clubs. beautiful simplicity is the name of the game here. i had a good tone in all of 10 seconds.
    the only pedals i've ran so far are ibanez ad9, h/k rotosphere, and phase 90 w/r28 mod. those are all here b/c i've just got them recently...the board is back at the bandhouse, so i haven't hit this thing w/ o.d.'s, fuzz, or wah...but i can't freakin wait. it takes pedals better than anything i've ever heard. i've owned a rotosphere before, and they are usually really noisy and trebly--not w/ this bad boy, the ad9 sounds like it should be one of those $300 delay pedals, and the phase 90 sounds huge and watery. can't wait to run my mi audio blues pro & blueboy deluxe, analogman od9, london fuzz, and teese wizard wah! i honestly think my tone searching is pretty much over (kind of sad!)

did i mention that this thing is dead quiet? no ambient background noise to speak of. this amp isn't for the high gain metal boys, but if you want monster clean tone...get one! mine is the 40watt el34's doberman w/ the celestion g12 century.

other amps i've owned (and loved) 74 blackface twin w ev's, rivera r5512, rivera r100 duo twelve, mesa maverick, mesa rocket 440, musicman hd130, mesa studio 22. good amps all were...some i thought were great, until i got this thing. this is the @#!$ --oh yeah, it only weighs $32 lbs!!!

sorry to gush guys...but i'm super happy--i'll follow up w/ the od tones after the weekend!

12. r9player

Awesome! Congrats man, enjoy and Rock!!

13. go7

go7 Member

Congrats!! I love it when people are happy with new purchases.Good luck!!

14. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Good on ya Dude... these amps are one of the best kept secrets in the boutique world.

I love my Rottweiler, can't find anything wrong with it at all. Sounds big, does cleans better than most Blackfaces, does the tweed thing really well, most interactive tone controls I have ever seen, Touch sensitive, QUIET!!! (no rattles, no buzzes, no crackles, nothing... dead silence until you hit a string), and the workmanship is without match.

Congrats!

15. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Glad it worked out for you, Jake...! :dude

16. Roe

Roe Member

congrats! I'm satisfied with my rottweiler too (but use mostly my jtm45 and clark blackface amp for the moment). lots of good info about the working dogs in this tread

17. jake5

jake5 Supporting Member

Thanks Dave...I really appreciate you letting me pick your brain before the purchase!:AOK

18. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

If you would, give us an update when you've had it a few days/weeks, used it with your band, ran all of your pedals through it, etc.

Congrats on the purchase and I hope you keep on diggin' it.

David

19. jake5

jake5 Supporting Member

Don't worry...I'll definitely send a follow up once in a real life type of setting. But I was not exaggerating (sp?)...you can tell as soon as you plug in to this thing that it's just super well made w/ only one goal in mind...big, lush clean tone! and for me, that's all I want out of an amp. I'll be back w/ more posts next week.

20. uncle looie

uncle looie Member

I've used a 6L6 Rottie for 3 or 4 years for live work. I really like it a lot. Doubt I'll ever sell it.