Alessandro Working Dog Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DOMINIC, Oct 22, 2008.

1. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

Well, I have a Alessandro Working Dog Rottweiler..

It has all JJ tubes in it and a Jensen c12n speaker

I play a Strat with custom shop p/u's

Now, my question is that I'm just really not satisfied with the tone I'm getting...

but really I was playing a Line 6 amp for 4 years prior so I don't think my standards are very high....lol

It's just that the tone I'm getting is real muddy and the mids are really stiff...it's almost like I'm playing humbuckers with the tone knob rolled off...real jazz guitar sounding...is this just the amp natural voice or something wrong?:worried

I hear tubes can change a amps tone a lot...would this help?

maybe the speaker?

I want the amp to sound more open and less thick...and have more of a mushy mid...and more presence...more of a bite... cause it seems real muffled..

Like I said I just can't seem to get a blackface tone at all...and I'm using the jangly switch and making some switches with the knobs back and forth, but It's so thick and muddy...

Someone please help me out with this..

thanks

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

All kidding aside? I'd call or email George. He's usually pretty good about talking with owners of his amps.

3. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

ok

i didn't know if he responds to emails or calls

thanks

4. msgdsrf

msgdsrf Member

That's the opposite from my experience w. working dog and 12N speaker. Call George, I think something wrong somewhere.
    Are there more than one speaker outs on the back, I can't remember. Be sure your in the correct one.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

He does. I do know that he's kind of busy today and tomorrow, but he's usually pretty quick to get back to you. ;)

And yeah, your experience with your amp is the opposite of what mine has been, so it sounds as if something is not quite right...

6. nomadh

nomadh Member

What tube amps do you like? Is there something significantly different from the other 7 or 8 tube amps you can try at GC? Do you like most of the other tube amps or mostly not?

7. bmetelits

bmetelits Member

I have the same amp (2 x 6L6 power tubes...right?) with the Jensen C12N. I called George last week during business hours, and he answered the phone and my questions.

I probably wouldn't use the same words you use to describe the tone. If you want more of a Fender sound try these settings:
    Jangly ON
    Volume at 12:00
    Treble 2:00 or greater
    Mid at 12:00
    Bass 9:00 or less
    Final Output Volume wherever you need it.

Setting the Volume or Midrange > 2:00 will make the amp VERY mid-thick.

8. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

If the WD amps had more reverb, they would be my go to BF reference.

9. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

Dave is one of the two people who pointed me in the direction of George's amps and the rottweiler in particular. . . I have both spoken to him and traded emails with him (George). He will most certainly help any way he can, even if the amp is used.

Meanwhile, I just want to chime in and say that your experience couldn't be much MORE different from mine. I would venture that something is definitely amiss with that amp. It is my favorite amp out of all others that I've ever played. I've said it before, but . . . it takes STAIRS like a mofo. It is one of the BEST clean machines out there and easily hangs with the favorites that cost 2-3 times as much. . . . i don't find any difficulties at all dialing in a blackface tone. The only thing I didn't LOVE about this amp was the reverb. It is, as we speak, being modded to be more 'fender-like' and 'wet' by Jimmy Somma of Sommatone amps. My point is. . . . when I read your post, my first thought was "damn. . . something's wrong with that amp". . . .