Alessandro Working Dog

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 3G, Aug 17, 2005.

1. 3G

3G Member

I see that Alessandro has their Working Dog amps on sale @ 25% off plus free shipping, and I'm thinking about getting a Boxer...

One question that I can't get an answer to is: What is the cab made out of?

I called Alessandro and was told that they have not disclosed what it is constructed of, that it's a trade secret (or something to that affect)

Anybody know?

Any other comments about the Working Dogs?

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

It is a plywood of some sort that he imports...

It's VERY light, and, while not finger-jointed, the cabinets do appear to be structurally sound.

Oh... and they're great amps, IMO.

3. 3G

3G Member

On closer inspection, I see the WDogs are not subject to the discount...

4. Dave Orban

Well, he's had that offer up there for a couple of years now... :rolleyes:

They're pretty reasonably priced to begin with, but if you keep your eyes open, they do occasionally show up for sale in the Members Emporium section...

5. 3G

3G Member

Thx for the comments.

BTW, how'd the Jenkins 2X10 work out for you? (We met in Cranford @ MN's house...)

Kevin

6. Dave Orban

Hey, Kevin...

I used for a bit, but then I sold it to someone on the Gear Page here, I think it may have been Jack Zucker....

FWIW, I do like the WDs a lot. They're very versatile, thick-sounding little beasts. And I LOVE the light weight...!

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I think they are great sounding amps as well. Dave and I agree and hear things SO differently, the fact we both like them should be a very strong recommendation I think.

8. Dave Orban

LOL!

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Holy Schmokes.......COMMON GROUND!!!!!! :eek:

:dude

10. KenSea

KenSea Member

I emailed them about getting a beagle at discount but havent heard anything yet

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

the WD series is highly underrated, and while they dont look as sexy as George's high end amps, these are no slouch by any stretch of the imagination.

and while the Boxer's a good amp, IMHO, i'd go with the bigger 6L6 loaded Rottweiler. the cleans were that much bigger feeling, and the overdrive tone was chunkier and fatter, compared to the more grindy and more easily overdriven Boxer.

12. Dave Orban

+1

13. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

hey j-
    i played a WD a long time ago and thought it was cool, but couldn't really open it up in the store. also, i've been really digging both my fargen blackbird 40w and my maz jr--and if i remember correctly, you've owned both of those amps as well. can you discribe the rottwieler in comparison to those two amps?

14. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Call him then. I love my Beagle. Great little amp.

cmn

15. Dave Orban

Ahhh... the Beagle...

It's my favorite amp out of ALL the amps that George makes...! :dude :dude :dude

16. Ogre

Ogre Member

The easiest way to contact George(Mr. Alessandro) is by phone. The Beagle is indeed a wonderful amp. The Working Dog series did not rock my world. I know where 2 new ones are.

17. Dave Orban

George is essentially a one-person operation. He did have some guys doing wiring on the Working Dogs, and another doing the cabinetry for all of his amps, but whenn it comes down to it, it's basically just George.

18. Roe

Roe Member

i'm very satisfied with my rottweiler head. But it needs to be played a bit loud to really sound good.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hey matt!

well, if i may be REALLY simplistic, sorta a matchless meets fender kinda sound. i remember George commenting that he wanted the Working Dog line to have that "Fendery" aura about them.

has that chimey open airy top end i hear in george's high end stuff, yet the midrange is much more filled in and has a sort of tougher fendery like sound. crank it up, and the upper end gets all crushed glassy like a good Vox, yet you also get this primordial bassman/plexi like crunch in the midrange. also, i've tried a few different speakers w/ my old Working Dog, and found that the Jensen C12N he uses is the perfect fit.

also, its by far one of the lightest combo's i've gigging with. usually, i use a little foldable cart, but with the Rott, i just carried it up and down to/from the subway.

i would have kept mine, but in the end, most of the tones of the Rott, i found in my Blue Tick. course, its still an amazing value. it sounds just as deep, 3D like, and hifi as most amps that cost twice as much, and i have yet to find an amp in its price range that's as similar.

and yes, George is NOT doing the wiring in these amps, but he oversees the two guys that are. they're literally in the next room where George works. yet, as you can see, George makes sure that the wiring is impeccable.

[​IMG]

20. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Sounds like a great amp as long as it doesn't try to sniff my crotch or hump my leg.