Alex, Geddy and Neil: anything happening?

hobbes1

So, yeah, Rush is retired. Got it.
I've done some googling and there are blurbs here and there describing possible musical stuff in the "future". I'm wondering if there are any people on TGP who might have more direct or reliable knowledge as to what the Guys (formerly) at Work might be getting up to, post-Rush.

I have seen Geddy's BBBoB project mentioned online but not the actual book itself; I've seen a reference to Alex and Marco Minneman doing "something at some point". Anything shaking with Neil?

Last edited:

mikebat

i say they get another drummer, a keyboardist and a singer and let Geddy play bass. And use a new name.

hobbes1

I was watching the Sweetwater interview with Alex. It's cool but I was a little sad when Alex didn't know the difference between EL34 and 6L6 tubes

bugzapper

I was watching the Sweetwater interview with Alex. It's cool but I was a little sad when Alex didn't know the difference between EL34 and 6L6 tubes
I'm sure he knows what he wants sonically as well as any of his peers. A little lack of tube knowledge certainly hasn't limited him creatively.

I'm curious to hear what he's up to with Marco Minnemann.

Last edited:

stevenymets

From what I’ve read- Neil hasn’t touched the drums since the last show.
This is what Geddy said in an interview I saw of him promoting his book, though he also said he sees Alex weekly, keeps coming over and drinking his wine, and that they had both just gone out to visit Neil. I think the interview was back in late 2018 or early 2019. Geddy said Neil is pretty much retired, that he was really physically suffering on the last tour.

Don Vito

I can see maybe a one off every now and then. After reading most of Neil’s books he’s a perfectionist so he will need months of practice to do one show.

Daytona57

Neil has the touch and he could play in a manner that is not so demanding on his body and extend his playing days.

The group could hire another drummer to do the heavy playing. There are a lot of classic rock bands that have two drummers or a drummer and a percussionist.

Neil is the lyricist, and he is probably still writing as this is something that you can't stop doing.

We can only hope.

YMMV

hobbes1

He's an actual musician and not a technician.:aok:aok:aok
Yeah, yeah. I get it.
But seriously....50+ years as a musician (guitarist), 40+ professionally, using tube amps pretty much all of that time....and he hasn't picked up anything along the way about the amps he likes and plays night after night....even back to the old days when he presumably humped his own gear in and out of clubs and changed his own tubes and his own fuses, etc? OK. Maybe so....still makes me a little sad....it's ok for me to be a little sad, isn't it? Not offending you, I hope?

CBHTele

Supporting Member
This is what Geddy said in an interview I saw of him promoting his book, though he also said he sees Alex weekly, keeps coming over and drinking his wine, and that they had both just gone out to visit Neil. I think the interview was back in late 2018 or early 2019. Geddy said Neil is pretty much retired, that he was really physically suffering on the last tour.
From what I have heard here and there, Neil doesn’t even have his own set at home anymore, although his daughter has apparently taken an interest...

His longtime tech and buddy had posted a pic of them on Instagram a few months back; they were in NOLA, and in the pic Neil was holding a cane :(

Rush is my all-time favorite band, and as I was watching the R40 show in Chicago I knew it would be the last time I would see them perform live there. They went out on their terms, and deserve a nice post-Rush life.

Trending Topics