alex lifeson gibson model

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by analogwarmth, Jan 12, 2008.

1. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

Any news on a release date yet?

2. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure it is coming soon. To coincide with their tour back through the USA in a few months -tix onsale I think Mon - or at least some announcements are expected.

Mixed blessing in seeing this signature model come out - I'll want it bad and it is great he is getting that recognition; but the price is likely to be more than I can swallow. Guessing over $4k street.

3. analogwarmth

analogwarmth Member

same guess on the price. gibson isn't talking. all i know is the neck is fatter than his real one. may or may not have mini toggle on the varitone knob that cuts from pos.1-3 by skipping pos 2. i dunno maybe mid 3k's cause it is white so the wood won't have to be as good as a see thru finish. Johnny a pricing is a good guess. i keep hammering away at the gibson contacts i have, but to very little avail. its either happening very soon like the first quarter of '08 or not at all. someone at gibson said they are still in contract negations (6 months?). i think they might be coming out with a new JP model, a 3 hum black beauty from his early days with Zep. obviously one will sell better than the other, so it's really a business decision. their loss, my money is in the bank waiting and slowly getting more and more. i have a goal amount and when it gets there i am going to buy something else and gibson can bite my left cheek.

4. gadzooka

gadzooka Member

Not surprising. The narrow nut is not popular.

I read that the mini-toggle bypasses the Varitone entirely. Paraphrasing Lifeson; "The Varitone gives some interesting tones, but is a little horsey to mess with onstage."

5. analogwarmth

analogwarmth Member

6. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I would l have loved to see him get a Sig PRS CE...

But,

A Gibson is cool too.

7. analogwarmth

analogwarmth Member

i meant fater like the 59 neck

8. PFCG

PFCG Member

id like to see him get a sig prs as well. He sure does have a ton of stuff, and alot of toys, like actual toys. Kinda silly if you ask me

9. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I think that a Sig PRS would be a great seller but kind of a boring guitar to own as an "Artist" guitar-
    "Look everybody, an opaque black CE24!"
    The 355, on the other hand, is dead sexy. How many White ES guitars do you see around?
    [​IMG]

10. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

Namm tomorrow will be debuting about 15 guitars at the Gibson booth. I am sure his will be one of them.
    I am curious about the Mick Jones Les Paul. That is about the only one I would be interested in getting, if it is cool like that Frampton Les Paul I have.:RoCkIn:drool:D

11. Ardis

Ardis Member

I wonder how accurate this model could be. The mid 70's body shape of the 335, 345, 355 is noticeably different (narrower, sharper horns; less mickey mouse ear-like) from that of the current 335's, which is closer to the late 50's/early 60's models. I can't imagine Gibson retooling their CNC machines just for this model.

12. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

He put a Kahler on a Howard Roberts Fusion?

13. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

That was one of his early '80s missteps. He has since restored the HRF to it's original state (tp6 and all).

[​IMG]

14. PFCG

PFCG Member

i personally would rather see a plain prs sig than another gibson hackery, i really dont like gibsons at all, something about the neck/fretwork/****** binding jobs. On the other hand, ive yet to see a totally crappy PRS unlike the total crap i see gibson put out for a premium price every week.

I think a black CE 24 with maybe a recall to the old school small neck heel, nice signature pickups and switching maybe? Locking tuners with a matching headstock, and the scrape binding from the maple top. that sounds like a sexy beast to me, id sure as **** consider buying one.

I think the next prs id buy is a johnny highland though, i love that maple neck.

15. Dashface

Dashface Member

I would REALLY like one. I think it would look amazing. I'm totally down with that :RoCkIn

16. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Gibson Press Release:

ALEX LIFESON ES-355 VOS
    Throughout most of Alex Lifeson's ride to superstardom with the super group Rush, a 1976 Gibson ES-355 had been by his side, both in the studio and on stage. With it, he had created many of Rush's breathtaking layered soundscapes, and the very same ES-355 continues to be an indispensable part of his live arsenal. The Gibson Custom Shop Alex Lifeson Signature ES -355 guitar is a recreation of this iconic instrument and a tribute for a true modern master, and guitar he used to expand the definition of popular music.

As of yet, no info or pics on the Gibby website.

- DB

17. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

He doesn't even play PRS anymore, why would they release a CE? he played PRS for decades, and he didn't get one, why would they release one now, when he deosn't even PLAY PRS? look at the video, NOT one PRS on his rack. I went to 10 shows on the last tour, he had a PRS on the first opening night in florida, after that, GIBSON.

I own this for a reason, cause I like Alex, but to make it a signature PRS, right.

[​IMG]

hopefully, I'll be adding a white one to my vintage gibby es355

[​IMG]

18. rog951

rog951 Member

Wow! I never knew Mark Messier played guitar too! :AOK

19. PFCG

PFCG Member

hey it was just an opinion, no need to get snarky. i would love that maple fretboard though!