Alex Lifeson YYZ Tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Goldstrat, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Does anyone know what amp and guitar Alex used in the song YYZ? I think it was a Marshall and ES335 but am not sure. I really like his old tone from the 2112 days. Saw them allot in the late seventies early eighties when I was a kid. I also love the tone on Working Man.

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

YYZ was done after he stopped using the ES-347 so much. Most of the footage around Moving Pictures show a Howard Gibson Roberts Fusion and a few Strats with Bill Lawrence blade pickups (and some very early Floyd Roses).

Hard to say which was used for what, on a lot of tracks, as there is so much gain and chorusing present, but some stuff like Limelight is clearly one of the modded Strats. YYZ could be either - most of the pitch changing is Beck-style 1/4 step bends that can be done sans whammy.

The amps at that time were mostly Marshall 50W 2x12 combos, but I forget the model - there's a page floating around that has every Alex rig by album - a search in this forum will probably find it.

3. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

4. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

^^ ...the aforementioned page.

5. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Thanks for the info!! Good stuff.

6. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I''ve seen them many, many times from Hemispheres to vapor trails. My favorite tone was mooving pic tour with strats that had humbukers and marshall combos. I fell in love with 335s and will one day own one because of alex lifeson. the first time I heard 2112 I was like what is that how cool is that. the guy can make any amp sound good.

7. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I think he is a great player also. But that being said I like his old Gibson Marshall tone way better than the PRS Hughes and Kettner tone he has now on that Live in Rio DVD. I have the old VHS recording from Showtime in the early eighties that blows it away.

8. erksin

erksin Member

I'm as big an Alex fan as anybody (been seeing them live since '81), but his tone on 'Hold Your Fire' still makes me wretch (those crappy Shark guitars thru GKs?)...

T4E is one of my favorites, BTW...

9. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Favorite Recorded Alex Tone-Hemispheres. Runner-up would be Permanent Waves.
    Live, I thought the last two tours (Vapor Trails and 30th anniversary) sounded great. I was skeptical toward the H&K setup, but it delivered live. Seen 'em 40 times since 1980.

10. Don L

Don L Member

I like everything they did up until P/G. After that, dunno what happened with them... :confused:

11. RSRD

RSRD Member

Lerxst2112 Thanks for that link. It's awesome. I love every album they've made, but I think HYF and Presto were the weakest as far as guitar tone. seeing that he was using those sigs and mainly GK amps was an interesting correlation. I thought his tone came back in spades for counterparts. Now I see thats when the PRS made it's first appearance!

Good stuff.

~t

12. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

13. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

There is just no other band like Rush...

14. erksin

erksin Member

Agreed - and why the HELL aren't they in the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame!!!???

15. Ron K

Ron K Member

Heck of a good question. Just one example -- as much as I liked the original Pretenders lineup, THEY are in, and Rush is not???

16. Ron K

Ron K Member

Back to the original question -- I remember way back in the day reading about how much Alex liked the Marshall 4140 combos when recording Moving Pictures. So that's probably the amp part of the question.

Funny -- Marshall introduced that amp to compete with the Twin Reverb! It never sold well, yet Alex and SRV (first-rate guitar heroes!) both used them.

17. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

farewell to kings great song great solo. closer to the heart same. when they used to tour an album they would play darn near the whole thing. they are too long now to do that. seen them do cynus x1 and book 2 hemispheres back to back. Unfortunately I missed t4e when they did the whole side one of 2112. awesome stuff man. My favorite tone Limelight.

18. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

Does anyone remember when By-Tor and the Snowdog was a popular song in concert they had the whole duel thing going on. Great memories and I'm not sure if I spelled that right or not. I liked the Hollowbody feedback he used to get nobody is better at controlling that than him.

19. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

they do it as part of a medly now. i love it

20. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Goldstrat - Pick up their Rush in Rio DVD. They do the first 3-4 minutes of "By-Tor," then launch into "Cygnus X-1," then into a full version of "Working Man." That part of "Working Man" after Alex finishes soloing and they start playing together... it makes my naughty bits tingle every time.

[​IMG]
    THE KING!