Alex Turner is a badass

popinvasion

Been listening since the first record. He just keeps cranking out gems. I hate to pick the obvious song but the contrasting rhythm with the guitar and vocal melody are pretty badass.

Amazing songwriter, average player. I'm never blown away by his lead work which I find a little generic at times, but his lyrics are second to none. Incredible use of language.

mo77

Agreed! Badass riffs, cool songs, great lyrics!
The first record is one of my all time favorites!
:dude

4inchjones

I saw them live after Favourite Worst Nightmare came out. They were barely over 20 years old and I think they were just about the tightest band I had ever seen live. Pretty amazing. Their first couple of albums are just so dynamic, almost like prog punk or something. They've kind of dumbed down their style for their latest releases, which of course led to increased popularity. Not that their new stuff is bad, just no where near as interesting.

josephvman

Silver Supporting Member
Turner is the whole package, but you've got to give credit to the other guys in the band too. The rhythm section is killer, and Jamie Cook's playing is sublime. They've got it all, big riffs, killer lyrics, soaring chorus', and a frontman with boatloads of charisma. How far back do you have to go to find a band that has all of these elements? Queen?

It's strange seeing that video of "Do I Wanna Know" being played live in a studio, because if there was a song that begs to be played in a jammed stadium it's that one! The riff alone is too big to play in a studio! My favorite album is either the first one or "nightmare", but I've played AM to death as well, so it could also be.

If you like Turner, you might also check out Myles Kane, and Turner's soundtrack to the movie Submarine.

I've got 2nd row seats for the Houston show this Thursday night, and I've been waiting all summer for this one!

RocksOff

Turner is the whole package, but you've got to give credit to the other guys in the band too. The rhythm section is killer, and Jamie Cook's playing is sublime. They've got it all, big riffs, killer lyrics, soaring chorus', and a frontman with boatloads of charisma. How far back do you have to go to find a band that has all of these elements? Queen?

It's strange seeing that video of "Do I Wanna Know" being played live in a studio, because if there was a song that begs to be played in a jammed stadium it's that one! The riff alone is too big to play in a studio! My favorite album is either the first one or "nightmare", but I've played AM to death as well, so it could also be.

If you like Turner, you might also check out Myles Kane, and Turner's soundtrack to the movie Submarine.

I've got 2nd row seats for the Houston show this Thursday night, and I've been waiting all summer for this one!
Totally. Matt Helders is a phenomenal drummer. Even now that he's laying back more, still super good and very inventive.

popinvasion

yeah Matt does kill it, really doing more and more back up vocals nearly whole songs now.Which may explain why he has simplified his playing, his vocal duties are quite a bit for a drummer.

Empros

Their early material was so great. And then Humbug came out and I was sold on them, I thought they were absolutely incredible. The writing on that album is great. The drumming, guitars, bass, vocals, lyrics, everything is perfect on Humbug.

Suck It And See was a bit of a disappointment, and I really disliked their latest album. But Turner is still a very good writer, I just think they've gotten a bit boring now. The songs don't have any energy anymore, which may have to do with the drumming.

mo77

"Do I wanna Know" is great! Love that Riff! After i heard it for the first time I bought AM without listening to the rest of the songs. I knew I would love it. And it is a great Album. Close second together with FWN.
It rocks!

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
If you dig Alex Turner you really should check out his side band The Last Shadow Puppets. It's pretty incredible stuff.

bsacamano

I first saw them live in 2007 and I've seen them three time since so I've had the pleasure of watching them grow up and change and evolve. They really are a very solid rock band. I love how they aren't afraid to try different things.