Alex Van Halens performance on the new VH?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by carbz, Feb 3, 2012.

1. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

You know everyone seems to be talking about Ed, Dave and Wolfie for the most part but not much has been said about Al's performance. Though I love Alex's playing in general I find the more I listen to the tunes on this record I find him just overplaying too much. On top of that I think some of his choice of using the ride vs high-hats in some parts is not helping. Anyone else hear it this way or am I just imagining this?

2. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

3. Ben R

Ben R Member

carbz,

I disagree. I LOVE what he play on this record. And, the sound of his drum kit is fabulous. The snare sounds awesome. He's really tight with Wolfgang and Ed. I think he's as good as ever.

4. V-Type

V-Type Member

Well actually from what the Australian and Zealand friends have released so far it sounds as though Alex sound's pretty good.
    I dont hear Hot For Teacher the intro but I do hear quality AVH double bass stylings and like it.

5. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

Alex's performance never needs to be discussed, because he always does a kick a** job! A great, unsung hero in the drumming world.

6. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

If he gets the boot I reckon he will still get a gig. :bonk

7. paulscape

paulscape Member

I think it has more to do with production than his actual playing or artistic percussion endeavors. Out of pure curiousity I can't help but speculate what this album may have sounded like with different engineers and producers - how well does the mix and mastering actually gell the recorded material? The album is what it is and we have to accept it's a completely new and difficult album in many ways, especially with wolfgang and a new production team, not a continuation of a formula or youthful innocent drive forwards. I imagine it would be a difficult task to produce this album under the circumstances involved. There's going to be compromises. There seems to be this expectation that ADKOT must be the best VH album ever when all it needs to be is a FUN good album - an album at the least that is better than OU812 and VH3 which indeed it surely is.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  8. Marshalls Law

Marshalls Law Member

:huh :omg :rotflmao:bonk

This is just ridiculous. Why do people feel the need to knock everything VH?

Alex is probably the most underated drummer in all of rock history. The guy is a monster player and his work on this new album is among the best he's played on record.

He is amazing and I can't fathom anyone not thinking he is incredible.

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Well, TGP has put Ed, Dave and Wolfie under the microscope.....it's about time we analyze the drummer.

Personally I think he looks like some kind of mafia guy or something.

:sarcasm

10. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

Don't forget everyone who is suddenly dumping on Mike's bass playing abilities to justify the current line up...

11. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Umm I never suggested he was anything less then a great drummer I just find the drums a little bit overkill in a few tunes. Too many fills, overload of double kick drum. I usually never question what Al plays but for some reason on this record I'm hearing some percussion a little erratic.

12. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I was kinda thinking that too .... he is a better drummer than he used to be and stepped it up a notch or two.

13. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

now on to bashing alex..........great drummer with perfect pitch :huh

14. amoodymule

amoodymule Member

...the only thing I hear and see is I love the way he plays on a smaller kit, like back in the SH years (finish what ya started) and I did see he was using a smaller kit on one of the vids circulating. :aok

The smaller kits don't sound as boomy to these ole ears.:D:rimshot

15. Ben R

Ben R Member

...or, at least those people who have revised history to make Mike Anthony into the second coming of Stuart Hamm, John Entwistle, Paul McCartney, or Geddy Lee.

.:knitting

16. 55hz

55hz Member

I agree with the earlier post on the production. I don't like the mixes, or the sound of the production on the new stuff I've heard. It really sounds Garage-Bandy. I think some original Roth-era sounding production/mixing would have helped quiet down a lot of the naysayers here... I'll wait (no pun intended) until I hear the final product multiple times until I fully write it off...but man...they made us wait so long. You would figure they would have had a little bit of help.

17. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Disagree; I love his performance on the tunes I've heard

18. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

Nah, Eddie only has 1 kid, so Alex is safe for now. :p

19. gkinsingapore

gkinsingapore Member

2 times through the album so far. Alex is kicking major butt.....I dont think there has been a VH album where the drums have been as good as this.

The AVH/WVH rhythm section is huge on this record and its great to hear it

20. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I'm ok with the drums on this album so far; still want to hear the actual CD when it comes out and play it loud (and often).

I actually liked his drum sound A LOT on VH III; sounded like the drums were 'closer' and tighter rather than 'huge and in the background.' Sounded terrible on 'Carnal Knowledge' (like big, boomy, empty oil barrels).

The dude is seriously talented, though; originally played guitar before Eddie and is a classically trained pianist. I'd love to hear HIM do an instrumental album sometime. Always underrated; he's a very solid rhythm player and works for every song.