Alexander Quadrant vs Boss DD-500

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by onestop, Jul 15, 2018.

1. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

Alexander Quadrant vs Boss DD-500. I recognize the Boss is more powerful in terms of # of presets and types of delay but interested in pure quality of delay tones. Can anyone share their experiences as well as any pros/cons with these 2 units.

I’ve had the opportunity to play and own many of the great multi delays (ie. Empress, Strymon, Source Audio, Chase Bliss, etc) and had recently simplified my live setup using only a Boss DM-2W. That said, I deeply miss having tap tempo and access to a few presets hence my interest in these 2 delay pedals.

2. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

I have the boss and I love it. Sound wise it's amazing. Although... Timefactor is still the king of all delays.

onestop likes this.
  3. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

I am the biggest Quadrant cheerleader there is. But you just have to see if you like the way it is voiced.
    It has a 'thing'. For instance, I have a Strymon Deco. In slap mode playing by myself, it sounds so good.
    The Quadrant tape tone isn't as full (The Deco is pretty much full range tone with some tape sat).
    But then in use, I keep on preferring the Quadrant.

On a purely mathematical note, the Quadrant is Dry through. I do a lot of fairly low blend delay so that is an important feature to me. I don't want to screw up my dry tone just to add some delay

The Quadrant is more HiFi than the History Lesson II. But similar tones

aman74 and aaronjcurtis like this.
  4. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

If you like the dm-2 but want tap, you might try the rubberneck. Also the obscura does well if the two second hold to tap isn’t a problem. I have both (as well as the dm-2 waza) and they sound awesome.

onestop likes this.
  5. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

I am a big fan of the Alexander delays too. Loved the HL, with my only gripe being the wet/dry mix and how that knob's taper was. The Quadrant is really cool, more control over tone and modulation and the algorithms seem a little more "interesting"..and you get all the MIDI possibility too. It's an awesome little package. I'd choose it over the DD-500, just because I found all the menus and options on the DD too complex. If you want a middle ground, might check out the SA Nemesis.

IMO few of those compare tonally to DM-2W...one of my fav sounding analog delays.

6. onestop

Let me check out The Rubberneck

7. onestop

That’s great info to be considered. Much appreciated!

8. onestop

Interesting enough, which ever I decide on I’m not positive that the DM-2W will leave my live board. It just sounds that good BUT limits me to dialing in one sound for the night :aok

72Telecaster likes this.
  9. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

I hear you regarding the mix taper on the History Lesson. We fixed that with the Quadrant, and we have actually continued to tweak it based on user feedback. The Neo Series handle the mix taper in software using a VCA, so we get to tell it how to behave.

72Telecaster likes this.
  10. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

Yes! I love that, and love what you guys are doing. Forgot to mention that I felt that was fixed/improved for sure in the Quadrant. Just updated the firmware to move past the digi distortion and eager to get it back on the board.

Tangent @DisasterArea ...and to add another request to the list : any plans to add a hold function to the Space Race (or did I miss that in the specs?) Got one coming, everything I've heard sounds sweet and that feature would check the last box for me!

11. DisasterArea

Not as such, no. That's more of the Sky Fi territory, and I think they are different enough to warrant two separate pedals.

You can use a footswitch (Neo or otherwise) to toggle the expression values to have a second sound for each preset. Set that "toe" value with the Reverb and Space knobs cranked and a really wet mix, and you'd have a small / BIG option that might cover some of that ground. Any old tap tempo footswitch will work, but the Neo Footswitch has that ginchy LED...

72Telecaster likes this.
  12. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

I haven't tried that Quadrant, but most likely someone with both pedals could provide you with a preset that emulates the Quadrant (or most delays for that matter) in the DD-500.

13. Coheed

Coheed Member

@DisasterArea
    If I’ve ordered the Quadrant in the last month; is a firmware update necessary?

14. Andy S

Andy S Member

I own a Quadrant and a Dm-2 waza. I'm able to dial in the quadrant to sound so close to the Dm2 that it's currently off my board ( but never will be sold since it's fantastic ) . Plus you can add modulation ( which the DM2 doesn't have ) and have 4 presets and tap tempo.

Unless you need all the special effects and options of the DD-500 ( or other do it all delay ) I think the Quadrant is a great option...I've owned the Timeline, Nemesis and Eventide Timefactor. They're all great delays but I always found myself tweaking through options, oddball effects and menu's rather than concentrating on the music...

As far as tones go, IMHO the quadrant sounds as good as any delay out there right now and melds very nicely in with your base tone.

I've paired mine with the Alexander neo-footswitch to change pre-sets quickly. I love the simplicity of it..

apoyando and 72Telecaster like this.
  15. DisasterArea

Check the LED blinks at boot. The current revision is [RED TEAL BLUE], 1.06c. If it doesn't blink those three then I would recommend the update. It's relatively painless and if you're not on the most recent there are some nice fixes and changes to make the pedal sound and play better. It's up to you but I would recommend it if you need it.

16. Coheed

Coheed Member

Sounds good!
    Thank you for the information!

DisasterArea likes this.