Alf Hermida Contact

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iim7v7im7, Apr 4, 2012.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

What part of "my employee left and i'm scrambling" is unclear?
    Would you rather he build or answer whiny e-mails?
    Would you rather go back to the days of a 1600 person wait list and $400 flipping?

He's not a company, he's a guy. At least he doesn't charge $400 for a copied design and shell top, and insist on being called mr. hermida.

Chill and wait. Or don't.

2. GasMask

GasMask Member

Well put!

I understand the frustration of some who have posted in this thread. Their complaints sound legitimate. However, I would urge anyone in this category to be patient if possible. Given my dealings with Alf, I would be shocked if everyone is not taken care of eventually. It seems a confluence of events has created this situation. It might be taking longer to get your pedals, but I think the wait will prove worth it to those who stick it out. I know I start to fear the worst when dealing with an unresponsive business. I believe in this case you'll find your worst fears are not coming true!

My Zen 2 is really something special. It's really the only overdrive pedal I own that I would miss if gone. If it was lost or stolen tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to order another immediately, regardless of the temporary backlog now occurring.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Umm, Nolla, I think that's a bit over the top. First off, Alf builds some pretty solid pedals, one might even call a few of them innovative, which is unusual in this day and age. Secondly, this recent problem of paying and not seeing anything is in the last year perhaps, not for years as you suggested. That doesn't make it OK, at all. But having satisfied customers for years possibly should mean that his whole reputation shouldn't be trashed.

That said, the last year's happenings are completely unacceptable and Alf should get things together at least to the point of refunds for outstanding pedals and a clear policy on what's happening and how long it's going to take. The waitlist isn't a problem if you don't have to pay up front!

4. waters

waters Member

I would like it if he answered emails and kept his customers informed. If he can't keep up don't offer things in stock and for sale on a website. Get caught up then start listing pedals for sale again. My two emails were not even that whiny... I was just wondering what was up with an order I placed that was a month old when his website specifically said that due to high demand this pedal ships in ONE WEEK. I am actually glad I never got the Reverb 2 pedal from him it led me to the Stereo WET purchase instead.

5. waters

waters Member

Having had a Zendrive and his first Reverb pedal in the past I will say that he does make good solid pedals so I do hope he gets everything worked out and flowing smoothly again.

6. SamOfFinland

SamOfFinland Member

1. I understand this. BUT...

2. He would not get any pedal status request emails if he could update his website. The message on his website is over 6 weeks old. "wait time can be up to 3 weeks" should something like "wait time will be many months".

And like I have said earlier. Updating Wordpress site Alf uses takes one (1) minute! With that one post he could answer to many questions.

3. I definitely would choose wait list instead of paying up front and complete silence. I have bought Analogman King Of Tone and I waited 18 months to get the pedal.

7. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

This thread is strangely making me want to order a Zendrive, they just seem so much more..... unattainable now.

8. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

if you cannot run a business , stay home a eat ice-cream

9. slopeshoulder

Yes, all that seems reasonable.

But for those who complain about inability to run a business, bear in mind that Alf is 1. a great guy, 2. a brilliant guy, and 3. a nasa engineer or professor or both. He made a pedal, for love, and it became a modern classic (and saved us all $30K on a Dumble). His price is VERY fair, his list gets LONG. He realizes he should and can do this full time. He takes the plunge, like a great American, never planning before to be a businessman per se. Oops, there's operations, fulfillment, and cash flow issues - much to learn. He's doing his best. He's not the enemy. He's one of us and deserves our support. I can be a sombich, but this guy needs a hand, not a hard time.

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Slopey, I could not have put it better. Well done.

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

those two aren't mutually exclusive. he has his own business - it's his company. how long has he owned it - 10 years?

you defend him as a friend, or a super dedicated fan, but you see it from a side that's not clear. perhaps you are not waiting for a repair ticket, or your pedal back or your pedal order; with promised eta not even remotely close. or many unanswered emails? people have been talking about the same topics in this thread for the past two years. and people should be made aware of what's going on by alf, it's his business.

alf can possibly gleam something from - apologizing and setting the record straight. i bet his standing and trust would be restored rather swiftly from those he's let down; for whatever reason/excuse.

in the new age of lawsuits after lawsuits even the biggest corporations are understanding that if they say they are sorry, and truly mean it - that forgiveness and a clean slate is right around the corner.

12. limfac

limfac Member

Great guy or not - if he doesn't provide a product or communicate, I'm going to get my money back.

13. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

I know, right? Ever since I missed on the Haunting Mids pedal, stuff like this just makes me start to salivate....

14. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I've never had an issue contacting Alf. He's a great guy, hung out with him a bit at the Gibson Summer Jam a few years ago.

I got a Zendrive back in the year and a half wait days. Best pedal I've bought and one of the few that has never left my board, and never will! Just kick myself for not buying one of the cherrywood Zen's when Alf offered me one of the last ones :(

15. Semi

Semi Member

I ordered a Zendrive 2 a couple weeks ago. From the sound of this thread it may be a while before it arrives. Does he send out an email when he ships? Just wondering if I should not bother expecting anything in the mail until I see an email first.

16. slopeshoulder

I spoke to Alf once, 5 years ago.

I've owned six Hermidas, I currently own one, the boost.

I undertand the frustration and criticism, just not the bashing and unsolicited consulting from the hang 'em high types.

17. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Wow, it's like a modern day fairy tale! You should offer to do Alf's PR for him... :D

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  18. modernp

modernp Member

Just stay away from the Zen drive 2 I tried and tried with that pedal. All different types of tubes and makes just couldn't get a tone out of that thing that worked for me. Just way too dark even with my brighter amps. Finally flipped it.

19. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

To each their own I guess. :dunno The Zen 2 is my all time favorite! It booted some pretty impressive pedals. Like the Minstrel, Boiling Point, Varidrive, Tube drive, Keeley BD-2/SD-1, Ecstasy, Puredrive, Pearldrive, all the Barbers, Flex drive, SHOD, BB preamp, OCD, Blackstone, etc.
    Thanks TGP for that :rolleyes:
    I also own 4 of Alf's pedals and they are all top notch at what they do.