• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Alice Cooper eras....Buxton/Bruce or Wagner/Hunter...

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
Good thing I don't have to pick, Heck some have all of em. But just for argument...I gotta go with Dick Wagner and Steve, especially live from the Welcome To My Nightmare tours. And Train Kept a Rollins solos, etc.

BUt it kills me NOT taking Buxton and Bruce as they have very certain swagger. School's out and the others never sound just right like they do with those two.

I am torn and in the end its even.

joek86

Silver Supporting Member
Buxton/Bruce quirky playing, which was different in it's day...nice grind and effect playing. I liked the way they looked at the songs too, it's what made the music as a whole for me.

~Joe

rickc007

Gold Supporting Member
While the Wagner/Hunter era were certainly better, more versatile musicians, there's just something about that double SG attack of Glen Buxton and Mike Bruce that does it for me.
This ^

But I'm a Huge Wagner/ Hunter fan. Lou Reed "Rock and Roll Animal" is a showcase of their stuff

roadfilm

Buxton/Bruce all the way. They were equal members of Alice Cooper (the band). Vince Furnier didn't legally become Alice Cooper till the original guys disbanded. Halo of Flies. Luney Tune, Is it My Body etc. Hunter and Wagner as great as they were, were hired hands.

Mark Barna

Buxton/Bruce all the way. They were equal members of Alice Cooper (the band). Vince Furnier didn't legally become Alice Cooper till the original guys disbanded. Halo of Flies. Luney Tune, Is it My Body etc. Hunter and Wagner as great as they were, were hired hands.
Hired hands? Well, Wagner got a lot of cowriting song credits with Cooper, and Hunter got a few, as well.

JDW3

Alice Coopers music became a bloated mess and something of a joke after he allowed Wagner/Hunter in. Or was forced to. Buxton/Bruce were part of a real rock band, not sidemen.

I even remember reading the names of the musicians on the back of WTMN and thinking who are these wierd guys, Russian immigrants? Alice jumps the shark.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Muscle of Love has some of the best guitar playing on any of his records. The tone is to die for, too.

At 1:18 of this is what I'm talking about:

roadfilm

Hired hands? Well, Wagner got a lot of cowriting song credits with Cooper, and Hunter got a few, as well.
It's not like it's a secret or anything. Once the original band split up and Vince had his name legally changed to Alice Cooper all of the musicians up to today have been hired. Not to disparage Hunter or especially Wagner at all. Wagner wrote the music to "Only Women Bleed" one of Alice's biggest hits but they were hired hands.

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
Wagner and Hunter were hired hands as early as Love it to Death by Alice because Buxton and Bruce were too unreliable and lacked confidence. Wagner and Hunter WERE hired hands but by everybody, even Kiss and Aerosmith. The gang got to hooked on drugs and Vincent didn't want a break. He called their' bluff.

I love every dang band he had though, hired or not.

JDW3

Muscle of Love has some of the best guitar playing on any of his records. The tone is to die for, too.

At 1:18 of this is what I'm talking about:

Sounds like Steve Hunter. Also sounds like most of the solos on BDB!

Mike Bruce and Glen Buxton wrote some very strange music. The early hits were mostly Bruce. Glens last major contribution was the Schools Out opening lick. If you listen to The first two albums PFY and EA(before Ezrin), there was twin lead guitar sprayed all over the music.

Eventually Glen seemed to totally lose faith in playing after Ezrin came aboard.

Most rock bands or session players could ever look as cool as these guys either!

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like Steve Hunter. Also sounds like most of the solos on BDB!

Mike Bruce and Glen Buxton wrote some very strange music. The early hits were mostly Bruce. Glens last major contribution was the Schools Out opening lick. If you listen to The first two albums PFY and EA(before Ezrin), there was twin lead guitar sprayed all over the music.

Eventually Glen seemed to totally lose faith in playing after Ezrin came aboard.

Most rock bands or session players could ever look as cool as these guys either!

It's actually Dick Wagner on Muscle of Love. Hunter didn't play on it.

roadfilm

Wagner and Hunter were hired hands as early as Love it to Death by Alice because Buxton and Bruce were too unreliable and lacked confidence. Wagner and Hunter WERE hired hands but by everybody, even Kiss and Aerosmith. The gang got to hooked on drugs and Vincent didn't want a break. He called their' bluff.

I love every dang band he had though, hired or not.
Wagner says his first work with Alice was on "My Stars" from the Schools Out record. He says he got paid $75 for it. He wasn't on Love it to Death or Killer as wasn't Hunter. Rick Derringer was on Killer, on one song. Wagner co-wrote "I love the Dead" but wasn't credited. I think he said he got paid 90 bucks for that one.

msteeln

I love much of the Wagner/Hunter stuff, and dig whatever other players did on Killer, but I can't live without Love It To Death.
I've yet to listen to Muscle Of Love, my friend that turned me on to AC said it sucked after buying it. Nuff said.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom