Alice in Chains at their apex in 1993 ...

Big'Uns

I was supposed to see them the following year opening for Metallica’s summer tour but they bowed out because Layne was “indisposed”.

Bammer77

Saw Jerry Cantrell a month or so ago with his solo band at a small club in Sacramento. One of the best club shows I've ever seen! His solo material is damn good, if you've never heard Boggy Depot or Degradation Trip or his latest, Brighten, check it out.
AIC, one of the best ever. Layne's voice, often imitated, but never very well. RIP. By all accounts, a really nice guy from a good family, but his addictions and demons couldn't be stopped.

Bankston

Layne and Jerry's harmonies are my all-time favorite harmony vocals in any genre.

And Layne's voice was so unique and distinctive. I miss it.

Rest his tortured soul.

DrewJD82

Pretty much when he was on. Just listen to how he breezed thru the encore Man in the Box after an hour of bringing it full throttle.

While I’m admittedly and AIC/Layne fanboy, I’m not sure if there’s a bootleg I haven’t seen yet, even in his worst of times he still delivered. His last show with the band is a pretty good example, even in his poor health, while he basically clung to the mic stand, his voice was rippin’ the entire set.

Like Mike Patton, the dude didn’t really have bad shows. He studied with an amazing voice teacher (who also taught Geoff Tate from Queensryche) and had phenomenal control over his voice. What I get a kick out of the most is that both him and Tate used speech-level-singing, which is what their coach taught. As powerful as those guys sounded, the majority of it was done at or just above speaking volume.

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if the idea of needing to deliver on a nightly basis while trying to stay clean on the road was a mass amount of stress for him and wasn’t far behind “if I stay on the road I’ll die” when they left the KISS tour.

BriSin

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite grunge band! Most of my friends at the time couldn’t stand them….they eventually came around. I was fortunate enough to see them back in like 91 with the original lineup playing tunes off of Facelift (Clash of the Titans tour). I was shocked because folks were actually booing during their set. More of a thrash metal crowd I guess. Anyway, I loved every minute of it! The whole band sounded great, Layne was on it!

LikeLinus

Alice in Chains was the first band I ever saw live (opening for Van Halen) and they were amazing. Sadly, I never got to see them again. They were, by far, my favorite band out of the Seattle scene in the early 90's. I don't care much for the new singer, but the original core of the band is still an all time favorite.

NorCal_Val

Saw Jerry Cantrell a month or so ago with his solo band at a small club in Sacramento. One of the best club shows I've ever seen! His solo material is damn good, if you've never heard Boggy Depot or Degradation Trip or his latest, Brighten, check it out.
AIC, one of the best ever. Layne's voice, often imitated, but never very well. RIP. By all accounts, a really nice guy from a good family, but his addictions and demons couldn't be stopped.
That show would’ve been awesome.
I was pi$$ed that I didn’t hear about it until the next day.

lostpick

Silver Supporting Member
They came to my hometown back in the early 90s before they got big, tiny place, and my buddy got on the bus with them and had a few beers after the show before the girls showed up and then he was promptly ushered out. :D

AlisterHag

I love Layne and he is a great singer. I also love AIC and have been a big fan since the first album. That being said Layne's voice and AIC were heavily influenced by early Soundgarden.

Top Bottom