Alice in Chains Nutshell homage

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Cary Chilton, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Gary ... for some reason this clip would not download properly
    for my computer from the link ....

3. Apeman

Apeman Member

Not too shabby :) I can see (or rather hear) some parallels to Axl Rose's singing style as well. I never thought of that before; I guess they were always there in the original, but your voice kind of accentuates the similarities...

4. Cary Chilton

Lucid, I just tried it, it works. You might have to let it load a bit? Oh yeah, it is "Cary" not Gary. ;)

5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I like your voice. I can't sing for poop.

6. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

I normally don't want to hear a clip of somebody playing along to pre-recorded material on TGP, but you hit my soft spot with this one as I just I love AIC! You should post a solo acoustic version of this sometime to really make the tune yours. Like songs such as the Rooster, but this one would work really nicely as one man, one guitar, one great tune. I think you do a good job of singing in that style...MUCH better than me!

7. Cary Chilton

thanks guys, I was 1/2 or more into a bottle of wine then heard Nutshell and got all vibed to do it at 2 am. It isn't perfect, but it is VIBED! Imo, anyway...
    I will do my version or in not too long. This particular clip, I felt I hung my ballz out there, more than if I did a gtr/ solo vox rendition because the right side is ONLY me, no music to hide or blend in with -if one listens to the right speaker only. THe more I practice and record my takes at Layne's songs, them more I realize how much more work will be involved.... Most of all, his all out WALL of sound scream are pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to replicate.... when I try those screams aka would etc, I end up sounding more Hetfield or something.... oh well! :jo

Rock on!:dude:dude:dude:dude

8. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Good job. THis tune was an instant classic when it came out

Good vocals

IT would be cool to try to do this in a ragtime, chord melody, bass style - just to really take it out

9. KCWM

KCWM Member

Kind of reminds me of a guy i went to high school with. He could nail a good layne staley. Too bad he doesn't tap any of that with his normal band.

I always felt that AIC was just as much Jerry Cantrell as much Layne. The harmonies are what made that band so good to me. I know it's a simplistic song, but "I Stay Away" has always been one of my favorites.

Plus, that video is great.

10. Cary Chilton

11. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Damn, it's been a while since I heard this song. It came out when I was in my super-emotional-ridiculous-amount-of-teen-hormones-a-pumpin' middle school years, and it (basically Alice In Chains in general) had such a huge effect on my interest in playing and writing music.

Just a huge flood of memories coming to me after listening to that song.

You sound great man; keep it up.

12. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Excellent Cary ... always enjoy your work ...

13. Cary Chilton

THanks Lucid! Glad you liked it. It is rough, no edits, but I just liked the vibe.
    THat night the song got my inspired and depressed at the same time. I wanted to record that emotion quickly for the vibe. I have learned quickly over the last 3 months or so, that vocal tracks are even harder to capture the magic, attitude and character than say with a performance on guitar.
    If I am playing Eruption, I am never happy with the performances, always feel I can improve upon it, but it always is pretty consistent. However with vocals, the slightest hesitation, mis pronounciation etc makes a track sometimes useless. I haven't really got into comping tracks yet. If I had tracks from a band, and they had problems I would maybe NEED to comp to fix things up. With myself, I can just redo the whole performance. It is easier.
    Yes, Cantrell layering of tracks and the choice of chords right at the very beginning of the solo ------- is amazing in tone and perfect for the feel of the song in a complimentary way. I can't explain it, but wow! What a mix of harmonic crunch! The part if I were to stick my neck out on a silly abstract idea, that part reminds me of being 16-18 years old, dusk at summer, beer, cigarettes... and/or alternatively makes me think of the smell of gasoline, and the sense of a engine. Again, I don't really know why, but those were images that I got I whenever I hear it. I will say this if it invokes our senses: smell, images, memories or even taste then the ART: performance of instr and or vocals or the painting, drawing or literature was successful.
    Funny, it is always different for everyone...the invoking that is...
    I think Layne said in an interview, kinda of impatiently with the interviewer, regarding a songs meaning: if you think that our song means this, then that is what it means. That is actually correct, imo. That why great songs like these, still live and breathe and change. I mean, many already opening up: saying wow, what a great song, brings up so many memories etc.... ;)

I hope I will writing a few of the type of songs in the future. Really, that will be my success in music, if I can accomplish that...money or not.