Alice In Chains - Rainier Fog

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Serenity, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Serenity

Serenity Member

The new album is out, and damn fine it is too. Very 'Dirt' like in feel. Closest album they've done to the Layne era stuff since his passing.

2. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

Love the first three tracks, the one you posted in particular. Side note, whatever Spotify does to the tracks I can tell you the album version sounds much much better and more dynamic range (my Spotify is set to highest bitrate which is supposed to be 320kbps and my copy of the album is at 320kbps).

3. partytrain

partytrain Supporting Member

In before the Alice in Laynes trolls start bitching about it not being an AIC album without Layne.

Rainier Fog is a damn good album. Jerry continues to be the standard bearer for Rock/metal guitar tone. Red Giant is a standout track for me.

wharris, struffy and Bullhonky Deluxe like this.
  4. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

Can’t wait to check this out.

5. wetordry

wetordry Member

Will be grabbing a copy.

6. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

7. JackedEagle

JackedEagle Member

The title track has a great groove. :dude

8. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

It sounds killer.
    Jerry’s the man.:dude

9. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

sounds great! Have to check it out

10. Serenity

Serenity Member

The more i play it, the more i love it. Definitely one of my favorite new releases this year.

drunkenguitar and struffy like this.
  11. MrX

MrX Member

Sounds great!

12. Fendegibs

Fendegibs Member

Giving it a second spin right now...really loving it!

13. Doom Man

Doom Man Member

Loving that edgy/paranoia inducing verse riffage, contrasts so well with the prettier, melodic chorus. Definitely will check out the rest of the album soon

14. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Loving it so far. Several great tracks on the album...first three tracks are killer. Bit of a lull in the middle, but the last three tracks are also awesome.

I agree, they kind of flash back to Dirt probably more than they have in the other two William era albums, but they also hit back to Facelift era as well. There's a bit more playfulness in some of the melodies I think. I also like that they let William sing more as he's got a great voice. Felt like they tried to hide him on the first couple albums because he's not Layne.

Couple things I wish they did different...the acoustic sounding tracks drag kind of like the other two William era albums. They used to be a real highlight from the Sap to Tripod albums but I skip them most of the time. I also find the production a bit flat and levels overall a bit quiet, although I'm listening on Spotify (still comparing to their other albums on the same platform). And while I know they probably aren't going to rip out speed metal tempos, the new albums all have a lot of the same mid to slow temps that get a bit monotonous.

Anyways, really hoping they tour this album. I caught them at a festival earlier this year and they were outstanding. Would love a full two hour set!

15. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Saw them do a full set last night near Portland. Was fantastic! STP was one of the openers and they were also fantastic.

Jarick likes this.
  16. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Awesome!

STP opened for AIC at the festival I saw this year and I agree, also fantastic. The new singer is outstanding and really seems like he has his head on his shoulders. Their new album was good overall I think, not as good as Rainier Fog IMO.

There's a ton of people who get really annoyed that these bands are continuing without their original singers. I get it, and I do think Jeff Gutt and William Duvall don't quite have all the character and excitement of Scott Weiland and Layne Staley (both were incredible talents and just legendary). But it's better to have new music from these groups than not.

I also saw Smashing Pumpkins last week. Very glad to see them back together. Again, a group of people are super uppity about Darcy not being there, but they were outstanding live and didn't miss a beat.

jbcohen92 likes this.
  17. partytrain

partytrain Supporting Member

My musical life is infinitely better when Jerry Cantrell, Billy Corgan and the DeLeo brothers are making music. Whoever they have to get around them to make this happen, I'm a happy camper.

18. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

+10000000

Those guys (along with Kurt Cobain and Dave Grohl), are the reasons I started playing music and were so important in my life. So long as I keep going, I hope they do too. And I'm sure as hell not the same as I was in 1995 so I don't expect them to be either.

jbcohen92 and GaryMcT like this.
  19. uab9253

uab9253 Member

Saw a few clips on a Bangers TV review of it. It sounded very very good. The last one I got was Black Gives Way to Blue, but I just never bonded with it.

20. struffy

struffy Member

I can’t really say too much about the previous releases with William on vox. I don’t think I was ready to accept another singer, so I didn’t bond with the new material. This album captures the beautiful darkness that is Alice in Chains. I love it! It’s just got that feeling ya know.

Jarick likes this.