Alice In Chains - Rainier Fog

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Serenity, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

The lead track, Drone, and Red Giant are worth repeated listens. The rest feels like overproduced filler.

2. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

One listen and not really digging it. Nothing grabbed me.

3. Lamby

Lamby Member

Have to admit I'm not loving it either. I'll persist with it though, hopefully it will grow on me.

4. AdamCook

AdamCook Member

It’s very monotonous sounding. Lots of similar dynamics and tempos. Makes it difficult for anything to stand out.

tabb74, Jason Calieri and Jarick like this.
  5. jbcohen92

jbcohen92 Supporting Member

Rainier Fog, Red Giant, and Never Fade are fantastic tracks.

6. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I dig The One You Know, Rainier Fog, Red Giant, Drone, So Far Under, Never Fade, and All I Am. The others drag too much to catch me off the bat, but a couple may grow on me. I like these "filler" songs more than half of The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here, where they sounded more monotonous.

I agree...that's one of my big criticisms of this era. Lots of mid tempo songs with very similar riffs. The songs need a bit more variety.

Bieling3 likes this.
  7. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Like it much, and the video is pretty freaky

8. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, album after album it seems like they're stuck in that same tempo. They really need to mix it up a bit. The vocal melodies all seem pretty similar, too.

Jarick likes this.
  9. Brooks

Brooks Member

Yep, agree. But, same thing happened w/ VH, AC DC, and Sabs.

10. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Those individuals also have other employment options and have never built any sort of brand equity in their lives.

Jarick likes this.
  11. UncleDuke

UncleDuke Member

To me, it's Facelift themes with Blue Gives Way to Black sonic qualities and I like be it. The more recent albums have grown on me over time, but Chains is the one band that I love everything they've put out.

There is no other album I've played more than Dirt. That is a near-perfect album, IMO

Jarick likes this.
  12. vchizzle

vchizzle Member

I like it. Don’t feel particularly blown away by anything on it, but it’s a good, solid album. I do like there were some nods to the Layne era AIC. I also liked they did a few unfamiliar things as well.

Jarick likes this.
  13. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Member

Reading through the comments, it's hard to not feel like bands that have survived as long as AIC has just can't win. If they break into new territory -- like, say, Metallica -- they are blasted by the old-timers for "selling out" or losing whatever made them special. But if they keep on in the spirit that made them popular to begin with, people say they don't have anything new to say.

It seems to me that all but a few exceptional bands have at most 3-4 albums of truly innovative, vital material. After that they are either offering variations on their own themes, or branching out in ways that strike some as less worthy or even less sincere. I think the new AIC is outstanding. Super high quality sound and production, interesting and engaging songs, amazing harmonies, and some powerful guitar work. Is it groundbreaking? No. But is it cool-sounding professional rock? For SURE.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    vchizzle likes this.
  14. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Yeah that's a great summary. I don't think they've ever touched on Facelift on any other album like this one. I mean they used to be a glam band heavily influenced by Ratt and Jerry's kind of run away from that for a while. But sounds like he's throwing a little nod to it.

AIC is in my top three favorite bands of all time but to be honest I don't think they've ever put out a great start to finish album! They always start really strong and lose a bit of steam towards the back of the album. Still, the highs are very high.

15. Serenity

Serenity Member

Dirt is amazing start to finish. No fillers, no weak tracks, and Would? is one of the finest tunes they've ever done, and that's not their only album that finishes strong.

B Money likes this.
  16. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I didn’t like it the first listen, I have to go back.