Alice in Chains tones on latest tour?

papersoul

Supporting Member
Anyone know what amps the guys were using on the latest tour? I am shocked, the other dude's solo tons is massively thicv. Either he is playing through one fat ass soundinhg amp or there is some serious EQ going on for those lead tones. Around 5:50 and 7:15, just FAT.
Jerry's solo tone around 2:40 is also fat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MVJI9qQr50

somedude

Sounds like what I'd expect out of a Les Paul.

But, to answer your question, last I heard he's using Cantrell's old Bogner rig. Do an image search on Google and you'll find various iterations of it.

papersoul

Supporting Member
What is his old Bogner rig? Didn't find much. I foudn out, Jerry is also using a Bogner 20th Anniversary Shiva now along with his Marsha.

somedude

What is his old Bogner rig? Didn't find much. I foudn out, Jerry is also using a Bogner 20th Anniversary Shiva now along with his Marsha.
His old Bogner rig changed depending upon his whim at the time, but at various points in time it featured a Bogner Fish preamp, a Shiva, Ubershall, and Alchemist. Generally Jerry would run two amps at a time, one setup for for a "metallic" sound and another set up for a "rock" sound. The metal amp would go into a Bogner 4x12 loaded with V30s while the rock amp would go into a Bogner 4x12 loaded with G12M-25s.

Jerry still runs a similar setup, although he switched to a pair of Marsha's for awhile. From what I understand the new guy (I forget his name) was given Jerry's old rig, although I'm not certain what pieces he's using or if he's doing the dual amp/cab thing that Jerry does.

Beyond that, Jerry's tone isn't all that hard to cop and I don't feel the actual gear choices are all that important. The dude has run a multitude of different amps over the years and his sound has remained relatively consistent. I've run a Dual Rectifier into a pair of Orange 4x12s (V30 and Greenbacks) and achieved similar results.

hammersig

Supporting Member
Last I heard William was using a Bogner Fish (supposedly Jerry's) and a Matchless Independance head. Not sure of the effects or speakers, but he seems to favor that R0 LP. When i saw them in Nashville, he also busted out a new ESP Firebird which was pretty cool. Glad to seem him getting to stretch out on guitar, especially when Jerry could easily do the parts himself. I have a feeling that they will turn him loose a little more on the new album as well

se7en

Last I heard it was two Marshas. Before that was a Marsha/20th Shiva, but that rig didn't last long.

NAV1147

jerry uses two 50 watt friedman marshas and runs them at the same time. one amp is set for a basic heavy thick rock sound and the other has a special mod that is more aggressive and has more gain. run them at the same time and there u go.

Mudder

I believe they also use an isolation cab and mike for live shows, to be as consistent as possible.

Frank Speak

I can't be of any assistance, but I had to comment that I am VERY happy to see the group back on the scene; one of my favorite bands.

papersoul

Supporting Member
Don't forget that the downtuning is also part of his sound/tone
He only goes to Eb and sometimes drops the low E to C#. I dot that to and doesn;t make a huge difference with my gear because I am only a half step down. In those cases where I drop the low E to C#, it is only one string. I couldn't possiblly, for me anyway, justify having different amps for different tunings, LOL! Some say amps with more upper mids are better for standard tuning and lower mid amps better for drop tuning. Not sure.