1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

All around versatile cabinet/speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rev2S, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    Hi all. I am thinking about ditching my combos for head/speaker deal. What cabinet/speaker would be the most versatile for most heads? I haven't nailed down what I would like to get for a head...maybe Orange, Budda, Bad Cat, Matchless, or Marshall. I know the Bad Cat stuff is best matched with itself...same as Matchless. I would probably end up going through a few to find what I like the best.

I play pop/rock/hard rock/indie type of stuff.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

My favorite cab for Marshall tones is the Marshall 1965b (or a), 4x10. Light (40lbs), punchy with a big low end and smooth highs.

I've seen a few sell here in the past for around $300 or so.

3. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    IMHO By far the most versatile speaker cab rig is front ported Theile-type 1-12" in multiples. Loaded with EVM12L's and of course Beamblockers. ?? EV's ?? Yep--Hard Rock, Emo, Shoegazer, Jazz, Funk, Zack, Randy, Stevie..........

Usually stack 2 vertically, or sometimes splay them V-style. Flexible, carry-able, almost unblowup-able. With 2 cabs you always have an emergency backup too.

Lots of companys make great ones: Port City, Hermida, Pure 64, Mesa, Boogafunk,

4. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Oh Yeah-- If you're in the Midwest, keep your eyes open for Sonic small ported 1-12" cabs--Believe they're discontinued. Can be a steal. Got one with EVM12-S for $80

5. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Great...I'll check them out. Thanks!

6. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

I think I might try a cab with a v30 and G12h30...