All Guitarists, Please, I beg you...

edro

In the old days of Rhodes, Wurli, Yamaha El Grands, tuning issues were compounded. When I bought Korgs back in KB playing days, digital tuning was a blessing... No more tuning hell... Easier for guitars and bass to know they were in tune....or not, with no analog or mechanical keyboards mucking up things... Yamaha electric Grands sounded beautiful at the time...when it was set up, tuned, and stationary, and not moved (banged) around by a Buford... Not much sounds worse than an out of tune mechanical piano... If I lived in cowboy times, I'd a probably shot the piano player too... Some had to sound horrendous in saloons with no piano tuner within any reasonable travel distance...

Digital keys helped because they were always in tune so it was easier for gtr/bass to know if they were out. Us old farts remember the old days where some guitars and basses would yell at the KB player for a reference note... That sometimes didn't turn out well... Thank jeebus for clip-on tuners now. Some early affordable needle tuners tweren't quite calibrated at times for whatever reason... Some bands sounded interesting back then...in an odd but interestingly putrid kind of way... Tuned their gtrs/basses to an out of tune piano... What could go wrong...

Mr Fingers

Even with idiotic robotuners, you've still got to set intonation correctly because as soon as you fret, it's vital. I have found that various non-radical means of compensation (in addition to getting things right at the saddle and setting the nut so no string is too high) really do help. The Earvana nut works pretty well, and so does using a sweetened tuning. I'm a bug for intonation, too -- pitch and rhythm; what's left? -- but despite the limitations of guitar design, you can get in the zone. Most people won't or cant manage this degree of setup, however.

s2y

Oh man... FRs in the hands of the unknowing is just a bad thing. I do not understand why someone would ever think of getting a guitar with this type of bridge and not understand a single thing about how it works - especially in the days of (cringe) You...Tube... Arghh I said it! But in all honesty, there IS some good tutorials out there how to fix and set up your guitar. Just hate listening to crappy guitarists playing a guitar that I dig.
It was indeed a bad thing. He was never in tune and somehow thought I was a jackass for pointing that out.

s2y

While we're at it, PLAY and take care of your acoustic or just sell it.

I see lots of guys who have one, but the strings are 2-3 years too old. The guitar is dry as hell and has lots of forward bow because they've never humidified it. They compensate by using lighter strings when they should humidify it and get a setup. Then they play it lightly because they never stray from electric guitar.

fjrabon

bass on vinyl rules, all DJs know it, and so generations of funkateers, I've mixed too many records, not going to argue it, listen to CDs and MP3s and be happy

A/B roots reggae vinyl 7"s, 12"s, and LPs with CDs and other digital formats and you will see
Bass “rules on vinyl” because it’s just built into the RIAA curve. It has nothing to do with the vinyl itself, it’s just pumped up AFTER the needle.

You can do the same thing with an MP3 with a cheap EQ.

whatizitman

And an addendum...Do not make people listen to you as you tune up. Sorry, but definitely a pet peeve of mine. Considering how inexpensive electronic tuners are, there is just no reason for it. Carry on.
Pedal tuners are overpriced, IMO. Clip-ons are fine. When live, just turn down the guitar volume. Easy peasy cheapsy.

stanshall

Bass “rules on vinyl” because it’s just built into the RIAA curve. It has nothing to do with the vinyl itself, it’s just pumped up AFTER the needle.

You can do the same thing with an MP3 with a cheap EQ.
there are many who prefer the sound of vinyl, Neil Young is one such person, so am I, vinyl records sound much better to me, for those who like CDs, MP3s, or any other digital format, please enjoy them

Mikhael

bass on vinyl rules, all DJs know it, and so generations of funkateers, I've mixed too many records, not going to argue it, listen to CDs and MP3s and be happy

A/B roots reggae vinyl 7"s, 12"s, and LPs with CDs and other digital formats and you will see
Oh. With that scientific evidence presented, how can I argue?

stanshall

Oh. With that scientific evidence presented, how can I argue?
who wants to argue? listen to whatever you like, and you can "prove" your point anyway you like, I prefer the curvy physical event of the needle moving in the groove to the 1s and 0s of the non-physical squared-off flat digital reproduction

for every pop in a vinyl record there's a glitch in a delaminated CD playback

just a subjective preference, but in 2017-18 I did more than 80 DJ gigs over 54 weeks spinning vinyl, sometimes side by side with guys playing CDs or their laptops, anecdotally I know what sounded better to me and to the listeners

if you like digital reproduction better, more power to you, as for me, there's no comparison, the vinyl sounds much warmer, and records are what I'll continue to buy

if you want to read the opinions of other people who prefer the sound of vinyl there are plenty of articles on the subject, and conversely there are plenty of supporters of digital reproduction

anyway, some people like analog delay, others prefer digital, you take your pick based on what appeals to you sonically, there's no right or wrong, but I don't care about the "accuracy" of digital, or whether vinyl is capable of less range than digital, all I care about is how it feels personally

digital formats have no mojo for me but opinions vary and everybody's got one, although not everybody gets paid for spinning vinyl records, which is something I love to do

so I'll carry on with my 1200s and crate digging and I'm happy to let others get on their phones or laptops, and I'm glad CDs are making a comeback, I've got boxes and boxes of them too, it's just that they get so glitchy over time because of the poor manufacturing, I really dislike that

Julio Iguana

Those guise should be made to buy all the stockpiled e-tune/mini-tune guitars! Then we won’t have leave the gig or turn off the youtube

Trending Topics