All Guitarists, Please, I beg you...

whatizitman

You say that like people "back in the day" generally cared about audio quality. It will always be few and far between that people care enough to chase down quality equipment because the return on investment to eek out a little bit of audio quality extra becomes exponentially more expensive.

You have groups of them out there

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/

I went down the rabbit hole of buying quality studio headphones, a mini pre-amp, etc. and ultimately I got a similar amount of quality out of a cheap pair of KSC75's and sold them.

And then there's the people that insist vinyl has better sound quality than high quality digital recording which is demonstrably false. They just enjoy the nostalgiac relics the media imparts on the sound quality, it's not better.
Huh? My AM transistor radio with mono ear plug sounded way better than any of these fancy shmancy mp3 thingies young folks are into nowadays!

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
YouBoob has definitely given a voice to the amateurs of the world. :messedup
Absolutely...it’s brought out all the wanker guitarists in the world.......that seemingly think they are worthy of us listening to their crap.....

toddincharlotte

Supporting Member
Well, here’s one of thousands of examples
Yeah, I get it. It's worth singling out Delta Blues. Honestly though, I feel like John Hurt or Robert Johnson were living in 2019 they'd be laughing at six-figure dad bods detuning their 3k Gibson Songbirds to sound like something a hundred years old.
And let's call it what it is....an exception to the rule, the outlier. The OP was more referring to wannabe Youtube guitarists that don't tune or intonate before doing their "pro" videos. FWIW, the video example you provided is a lot closer than some of the trash that's on Youtube.

fjrabon

I know a guy that has been playing for close to 50 years and will refuse to tune, in public live. He also says things like Hendrix didn't use a tuner but of course he is not Jimi either.
Also, have you ever listened to a live Hendrix concert? He spent like 3 minutes between songs tuning off the bass player.

sleshnyc

Supporting Member
Also remember to add more gain and even more delay regardless of the actual tone on the track you're playing with.

fjrabon

That 'worst band' video I can understand. I've run into several people (or groups) who actually think they are going to make the 'big time, talk about it all the time, and they sound just like that or even worse (drug use could play a role ). It's fun to play no matter how much you suck, but reality is often useful, if just for perspective. :D
I’m pretty sure that was a thing the music store puts on for their beginner students so they can slowly get used to the idea of being in a stage.

mac jones

I’m pretty sure that was a thing the music store puts on for their beginner students so they can slowly get used to the idea of being in a stage.
That's nice. Maybe, but that singer, how do you explain that? A friend of a student, who they begged to embarrass himself? He isn't smiling, so it's not a joke.

Last edited:

Vaibhav Joshi

This is really hard to believe.

I haven't changed strings on my main tele in over 4 years. Its now a quest to see when one will break. I have adjusted the intonation several times as needed. Its darn amazing, because I routinely bend these things all over the place. Its being played on average 16 hrs a month, and has been for a couple years. The plain strings are now nearly black, but shiny and smooth from routine playing. I play up and down the neck, and use the neck pickup as a fret ocassionally for the high high E. When one breaks, I plan to remove them, inspect them under 200x, take some pictures and share.

I told you this would be hard to believe.

The point being, its not just about changing strings. Its about setup and proper tuning. I don't tune the B string to concert B for instance. I tune it so the D on the third fret is a D. I do other things so the chords and dyads up and down the neck are easily pulled into pitch and harmony. And I set the intonation when it needs it, as often as it needs it.

But it is truly hard to believe its been over four years (April 2015) since I've changed strings on this guitar, which is seeing more play time than any other.
That's incredible.
My strings are pretty much in the same condition & they get 30-60 hrs a month.
But it doesn't stay in tune because of the cheap nut & the intonation isn't great as well.
I've tried to lubricate the nut with graphite+oil but only had a slight benefit for some time. I also adjusted the saddles of the trem bridge for the preferred action, so now I want it to be set properly & then intonated. Will try intonation at home & then get it done at the store.

fjrabon

That's nice. Maybe, but that singer, how do you explain that? A friend of a student, who they begged to embarrass himself? He isn't smiling, so it's not a joke.

But i'm game.
I don’t know the exact story, but this video has been posted on here several times over the years, and it’s been verified that was what it was, the beginner student showcase.

maybe he was just an older guy who wanted to take voice lessons? Or maybe they just had to find somebody at the last minute who at least knew the words?

Atmospheric

Intonate your %$#@ing Guitar!
A few years back (jeebus, has it really been 15 years??) when I was still doing the Contemporary Christian Worship thing, I used to hate having to learn Chris Tomlin stuff because his lead guitar player's Les Paul was clearly intonated very sharp... painfully so... and he used to do tons of fills around the 14th fret. It was painful listening to it, let alone having to learn that shizzle. I got the definite impression a lot of his stuff on the records were one-take placeholder parts that the producer just ended up saying, "Yeah, that's good enough. We'll use that."

Lucidology

I have to respectfully disagree, particularly the intonation aspect.

I’m with you on the tuning issue but for a lot of styles the intonation is a part of the sound.

I’m thinking about the great blues guitarist, the not perfect intonation was a big part of the sound. Same goes for rock and roll. Subliminally I think it’s a big draw towards the tele, lots of humanity with that three barrel system.
yep ....!!

unseen hand

Yeah, I get it. It's worth singling out Delta Blues. Honestly though, I feel like John Hurt or Robert Johnson were living in 2019 they'd be laughing at six-figure dad bods detuning their 3k Gibson Songbirds to sound like something a hundred years old.
And let's call it what it is....an exception to the rule, the outlier. The OP was more referring to wannabe Youtube guitarists that don't tune or intonate before doing their "pro" videos. FWIW, the video example you provided is a lot closer than some of the trash that's on Youtube.
I agree, Delta Blues wasn’t necessarily in the spirit of the original post. I guess my point was that intonation is a complex component of music that is often overlooked. For example a single piano can really take on different characteristics depending on how it’s tuned (never perfectly intonated).

I struggled with this for a long time with my main guitar (telecaster). No matter how much I tuned and tweaked it was always a tiny tiny bit out in certain positions. Now I love it, it’s a big part of my sound. I embrace it. What I’m talking about is a few cents off here and there... Now if I’m playing classical then the smallest bit out of tune or poor intonation drives me nuts

one last thing.. when I’m in alt tunings I’m generally on my strat because the imperfect intonation of the tele bugs me in that context... I guess there’s a time and place for everything!

Last edited:

ferrinbonn

So many strawman rants in this thread. Bunch of old men yelling at clouds...

BUT THE YOUTUBES IN THE INTERWEBS ONLY HAS PEOPLE THAT CAN'T TUNE! BEFORE THAT EVERYBODY COULD TUNE BY EAR AND DIDN'T NEED A TUNER AND WERE ALWAYS IN TUNE!

rawkguitarist

This should read "Learn to tune your guitar". I don't believe the "I've never played a Les Paul that stayed in tune" crowd have learned this.
100% Only on rare occasions is the guitar the problem. Physically tuning your guitar to a reference is just like learning chords, intervals, rhythm, etc. on your instrument. Stretch new strings until they essentially don't go flat, tune up to pitch and adjust the saddles to get the best intonation possible. *ALSO* don't press so hard you push notes sharp.

I haven't had a single guitar with "tuning problems" once I knew a bit about tuning.