All Guitarists, Please, I beg you...

exactopposite

Intonate your %$#@ing Guitar!!
Tune your %$#@ing Guitar!!

Make it THE first things you ever learn how to do on guitar.

Do it always.

ALWAYS!!! Especially if someone else is going to hear you play.... THAT'S YOU! You YouTube %$#@€rs.
So no traditional Tele saddles for you huh?

fjrabon

I honestly see more issues with people PLAYING out of tune than their actual guitar BEING out of tune. Especially the bloozdads in clubs who have a vice grip left hand but like big frets for the SRV bends. They’ll go on and on about having perfect intonation from the master setup they had, but the minute they do any kind of barre chord they pull everything sharp. None of their bends are to pitch. They slam the strings so hard that the leading edge of the note is always VERY sharp.

I run a jam session fairly frequently so I end up playing with these guys a lot. It wouldn’t be so bad, but the minute you say something about it, they point you at their fancy Peterson strobe tuner and say “see, nope, I’m in tune.” They can’t get their head around the fact that just because your guitar is in tune and you put your finger on the right fret, that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re actually playing the correct pitch.

whereas Jeff Beck could take a strat that was wildly out of tune and actually play it in tune.

prototype

imo this is a lot of misplaced anger... the golden ears crowd always gets bent out of shape about intonation but their ears never seem to pick up the fact that their own meticulously maintained guitar is not perfectly intonated. unless you have a rare guitar with buzz feiten or better yet a true temperament neck your guitar is not perfectly intonated. nobody's is. you make approximations for rock and roll chords (i actually really like the peterson sweetened tunings) and you use your ear for everything else. complaining about youtube guitarists has always struck me as a complete waste of time "hey this totally free product doesn't meet the standards that i myself have decided on - fetch the emperor a new pedal demoer"

prototype

I honestly see more issues with people PLAYING out of tune than their actual guitar BEING out of tune. Especially the bloozdads in clubs who have a vice grip left hand but like big frets for the SRV bends. They’ll go on and on about having perfect intonation from the master setup they had, but the minute they do any kind of barre chord they pull everything sharp. None of their bends are to pitch. They slam the strings so hard that the leading edge of the note is always VERY sharp.

I run a jam session fairly frequently so I end up playing with these guys a lot. It wouldn’t be so bad, but the minute you say something about it, they point you at their fancy Peterson strobe tuner and say “see, nope, I’m in tune.” They can’t get their head around the fact that just because your guitar is in tune and you put your finger on the right fret, that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re actually playing the correct pitch.

whereas Jeff Beck could take a strat that was wildly out of tune and actually play it in tune.
i remember when someone asked either jeff beck or his tech how the strat with a vintage trem and stayed in tune throughout the show with all his whammy abuse and he just said something like "it doesn't. i play it in tune." helps that he rarely plays chords but that is really what its all about.

ellis dee

TUNERS I OWN

Peterson 100

Peterson 420

Peterson strobe plus hd

Turbo tuner 122

Turbo tuner 300

Boss waza tu3

Korg tm 40

Various clip on tuners I never use.

Simon

Supporting Member
Intonate your %$#@ing Guitar!!
Tune your %$#@ing Guitar!!

Make it THE first things you ever learn how to do on guitar.

Do it always.

ALWAYS!!! Especially if someone else is going to hear you play.... THAT'S YOU! You YouTube %$#@€rs.
And learn to do it without a tuner.

Liquid Quarter

Silver Supporting Member
On the other end of the spectrum, tuning has become an obsession for some of us. Tuner on the headstock, tuner on the pedalboard, bench tuner with it's own microphone and all in use at the same time! I may be a crappy player, but you can never accuse me of being out of tune...:D

boo radley

Stupid question, but why are you watching videos where the guitar(s) are obviously out of tune? is there otherwise good that can come from it??
You'd buy that Splawn Nitro head, but Billy's demo was poor because he was in a rush to record after school before his mom came home, and didn't tune?

I'd like some examples of professionally recorded and/or sponsored gear demos with the guitar out of tune or audibly not intonated properly.
The stuff I've seen by Sweetwater, Greg Koch, Greg V, Pete Thorn, etc., etc., seems fine, or my ears certainly aren't good enough to hear anything amiss.

singlecutarmy

You said yourself that audio quality is a niche. You don’t understand that vinyl is an actual physical sound, and CD’s are but a snapshot.
Your Mona Lisa keychain is certainly almost as pretty as the original but it’s no substitute.
If you can’t hear it, your rig is trash and your hearing has aged to blissful acceptance of lo fi. Enjoy.
Who the hell said anything about CDs?

A full quality digital audio file is 100% sound integrity.

I wish I saved the reddit post from the pro audio engineer who explained point for point why digital captures the entire audio wave in lossless format, the only loss occurs when it's compressed after the fact for things like youtube or quick distribution.

True lossless digital files are every bit as good as vinyl, but without the artifacts of vinyl, like the fact the circumference of the turns effects quality.
https://www.quora.com/Nostalgic-fee...a-CD-or-a-digital-source-MP3-or-FLAC-lossless

https://www.npr.org/2012/02/10/146697658/why-vinyl-sounds-better-than-cd-or-not

LeicaBossNJ

Tone isn't necessarily in the fingers, but tuning is.

Playing an "in-tune", well intonated guitar is far from what it takes to play on-pitch.

thewhit

Silver Supporting Member
Well that does it......the age of searching for warm tone in a slightly incorrectly intonated guitar is over. Time to dig out my accordion?????????

Trending Topics