All Guitarists, Please, I beg you...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tootone, Nov 8, 2019.

1. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

I was hoping the op was going to say "please dont leave clip on tuners on your headstock at a gig."

2. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I once owned a one off G&L artist guitar. That thing would not tune. That guitar got passed around to a few players I knew well. Everyone came to the same conclusion. Something just wasn’t straight with that guitar.

3. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Yes but actual tuners did not exist at that point in time and I know because I was there. Had to have a giant stroboscope that cost an actual fortune. Keywords are DID NOT USE A TUNER.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Its a simple fact..alot of people have issues with intonation and tuning. TBH it isnt a given..Ive watched EJ tune a guitar 5 times in a row before he started playing it. To many guys/girls..just dont work at it.

5. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

Only guitar I've ever had tuning issues was...? I'm sure everyone can guess the model.

My Les paul! (HIS LES PAUL!)

Shocker. Stepped up to schecter with locking tuners and hipshot tailpiece with Ernie ball compensated nut, and i literally can tune on monday and not worry about it until band practice on sunday.

Average Joe likes this.
  6. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

A lot of it is down to the individual nuances of each player.

I can have a guitar perfectly in tune and intonated and my playing and its inherent intonation will have the notes coming out not at pitch. Just how it is.

7. Tootone

Tootone Member

This is not rocket science.

Your guitar is either properly intonated and in tune. Or it isn't.

If it isn't and you can't hear you are out of tune, then you are tone deaf.

I don't have golden ears. Most people can hear strong dissonance and it makes their spine shudder. Don't subject us to this horrific display of laziness and ignorance.

Judging by some of the comments left here, I see that tone deaf guitarists are alive and well and in the community. To those who blatantly shun and disregard this plea to make an effort, I can only say your music sucks, nobody wants to listen to it and your journey as a guitarist will be rocky and ultimately unsuccessful.

8. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

Choose your battles mate.:cool:

9. davess23

davess23 Member

There's a guy who comes to our jams who consistently ignores the need to tune. He's a nice enough guy but I'm beginning to hate him. My take on tuning is that if you don't bother tuning, don't bother playing. It's painful to listen to.

10. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

I have no time for tuning, I’m holding out for the polyphonic autotune pedal.

Calebz likes this.
  11. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I will not! Never!!!! this is after all RnR.
    You go intonate your piano!

rhinocaster likes this.
  12. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

First off, THE GUITAR IS NEVER INTONATED. So, shut the **** up unless you have a wiggle fret guitar and in that case I apologize.

Second, the guitar is 12TH Fret Intonated. That's all. Your octaves are perfect from the open sting to the 12th fret which makes it sound the same out-of-tuneness in the upper register. This is good but a total compromise. 90% of the other notes are varying degrees of out of tune and in some instances an off kilter 12th fret can make other notes "perfect." But, very few, lol.

Third, nothing else 'cept a freshly tuned or electric piano has perfect intonation. Horns rely on breath/finger, strings rely on finger position, etc. Rarely does a human hand/breath have digital quality intonation.

Fourth, talk about cats in heat, but for some reason as out of tune as it is this **** just works:

A classic, speaks to a generation, way out of tune and there's many more examples like it. You get out what you put in ladies and gents.

Fifth, our Western modern system of intonation is technically out of tune away from perfect intervals, so eat that mcnugget for breakfast. You're already programmed to be out of tune.

Sixth, if you "intonate" your guitar then play a cowboy D chord, then a cowboy G chord and your ears can't tell those octaves and thirds are off??? You don't belong posting in or starting threads about intonation because clearly your ears cannot hear intonation worth a damn.

Oh, and I have a counter thread:

DEAR GUITARISTS, AFTER YOU LEARN ABOUT SOMETHING WITHOUT KNOWING THE WHOLE PICTURE....STOP PRETENDING YOU'RE SMART AND SUPERIOR.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  13. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

This is simply false. You can easily prove it with a tuner. Unless you’ve got compensated frets your guitar can’t possibly be 100% perfectly intonated everywhere. It’s a fact of physics.

14. wstsidela

wstsidela Sedulous Gold Supporting Member

15. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

Forget YouTube, the maddening thing is when you actually get into a playing situation with one of these bozos. I remember this guy I played with once (once as in: one time, never again) who spent 5 minutes getting his guitar in tune, sort of, with itself, at full volume, and then thought he was ready to go. Yeah, ready for atonal experiments - only those weren't on the menu that day.

16. Ps28

Ps28 Member

OP please post clips of your own playing. This ought to be fun.

17. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

God I hate that.

dpeterson likes this.
  18. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

I can make a guitar with jumbo frets sound out of tune if it wasn't intonated using the same fretting pressure. I play wound third because I feel they are more forgiving (and because of vintage stagger). I tried cutting my own nut from scratch, did a poor job and it affected intonation - now I start from tusq and file carefully to correct depth.

There is a lot that goes into not sounding unpleasant.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  19. scotty31

scotty31 Member

oh my