All Guitarists, Please, I beg you...

nowhere

Lots of YouTube Channels have this issue. Buy a crap load of gear, go down the gear rabbit hole and don't even learn how to play guitar. Can't work on guitars, can't intonate and that's fine if you can't. Get your guitar setup by a proper tech. Don't go on YouTube and play out of tune. At the end of the day your fingers are more important than gear.
That's why I'm going to make my own Youtube channel where there's no gear! Just wiggling my fingers in scale patterns in a close up shot.

Also, my channel will have blackjack... and hookers!

xmd5a

Lots of YouTube Channels have this issue. Buy a crap load of gear, go down the gear rabbit hole and don't even learn how to play guitar. Can't work on guitars, can't intonate and that's fine if you can't. Get your guitar setup by a proper tech. Don't go on YouTube and play out of tune. At the end of the day your fingers are more important than gear.
I used to think this way, but is it really so bad if someone can only play three chords and just likes messing with lots of amps and stomp boxes? It's fun to trade gear with friends, like baseball cards, and share opinions about the gear. I'd say it's like a companion hobby to playing guitar, not directly in competition with it. I see people say "they should spend more time practicing, but IME, messing with gear doesn't account for that much time. Repairing the gear when it breaks down does, but that's another story.

Brettski

I know. It's futile. But where else can I vent my sorrow and pain?

Jimi could tune by ear mid solo and barely skip a beat... so let's not denegrate him here.
Facebook, bro. Facebook is where you go to scream into the void that you got a flat tire, your girl left you for Steve, politics and RAAAH PEOPLE NEVER TUNE GUITARS!!!

Old Guy

I feel like the angry people in this thread actually look for YT channels that have out of tune guitars playing just to be angry about something. No one is making anyone click on that thumbnail you know? Frank Zappa said it best: Shut up and play yer guitar.

SteveK

Supporting Member
And an addendum...Do not make people listen to you as you tune up. Sorry, but definitely a pet peeve of mine. Considering how inexpensive electronic tuners are, there is just no reason for it. Carry on.

I mean, when you tune your guitar with a tuner the FIRST thing your ear should notice is how out of tune your open D chord is.

It sounds bad, period. But if your ears are only trained to rock'n'roll guitar sounds then it probably sounds fine to you which means you cannot hear proper intonation.

Back in reality, people with perfect pitch or at least good ears usually find their own tuning compromise. Danny Gatton religiously tuned to an open A chord with the upper A on the 5th fret of the E string. Hey, at least one chord rang true! Even Buzz Feiten came up with a silly nut design to help compromise the tunings for himself. Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle trying to get the octaves sorted out but then the thirds/fifths often sound worse.

So, dear guitar players, your tuner makes your guitar out of tune the second you touch any frets. You're just used to being out of tune.

Silverra

Intonate your %$#@ing Guitar!!
Tune your %$#@ing Guitar!!

Make it THE first things you ever learn how to do on guitar.

Do it always.

ALWAYS!!! Especially if someone else is going to hear you play.... THAT'S YOU! You YouTube %$#@€rs.
OK

BlueRiff

Do it always.

ALWAYS!!! Especially if someone else is going to hear you play.... THAT'S YOU! You YouTube %$#@€rs.
I only sweep tune.

macmax77

Supporting Member
First off, THE GUITAR IS NEVER INTONATED. So, shut the **** up unless you have a wiggle fret guitar and in that case I apologize.

Second, the guitar is 12TH Fret Intonated. That's all. Your octaves are perfect from the open sting to the 12th fret which makes it sound the same out-of-tuneness in the upper register. This is good but a total compromise. 90% of the other notes are varying degrees of out of tune and in some instances an off kilter 12th fret can make other notes "perfect." But, very few, lol.

Third, nothing else 'cept a freshly tuned or electric piano has perfect intonation. Horns rely on breath/finger, strings rely on finger position, etc. Rarely does a human hand/breath have digital quality intonation.

Fourth, talk about cats in heat, but for some reason as out of tune as it is this **** just works:

A classic, speaks to a generation, way out of tune and there's many more examples like it. You get out what you put in ladies and gents.

Fifth, our Western modern system of intonation is technically out of tune away from perfect intervals, so eat that mcnugget for breakfast. You're already programmed to be out of tune.

Sixth, if you "intonate" your guitar then play a cowboy D chord, then a cowboy G chord and your ears can't tell those octaves and thirds are off??? You don't belong posting in or starting threads about intonation because clearly your ears cannot hear intonation worth a damn.

Oh, and I have a counter thread:

DEAR GUITARISTS, AFTER YOU LEARN ABOUT SOMETHING WITHOUT KNOWING THE WHOLE PICTURE....STOP PRETENDING YOU'RE SMART AND SUPERIOR.
I gave this answer to someone else in another discussion:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...been-hinting-at.1963152/page-38#post-29314956

Steady

Ok, so I just spent an hour intonating my baritone because this thread got all up in my noodle (and tell me if I’m doing this wrong: tune 12th fret harmonic, then check 12th fretted note - adjust bridge saddle until they match).

Now there’s got to be some middle ground between the golden ears crowd (who’ll never be satisfied because guitar tuning will always be a compromise) and the “it’s only rock n roll” crowd, right? Well I’m trying to find it. We’ll see I guess because I’m on YouTube - y’all call me out if my tuning is egregiously borked, ok?

Anthony Gring

Silver Supporting Member
This is really hard to believe.

I haven't changed strings on my main tele in over 4 years. Its now a quest to see when one will break. I have adjusted the intonation several times as needed. Its darn amazing, because I routinely bend these things all over the place. Its being played on average 16 hrs a month, and has been for a couple years. The plain strings are now nearly black, but shiny and smooth from routine playing. I play up and down the neck, and use the neck pickup as a fret ocassionally for the high high E. When one breaks, I plan to remove them, inspect them under 200x, take some pictures and share.

I told you this would be hard to believe.

The point being, its not just about changing strings. Its about setup and proper tuning. I don't tune the B string to concert B for instance. I tune it so the D on the third fret is a D. I do other things so the chords and dyads up and down the neck are easily pulled into pitch and harmony. And I set the intonation when it needs it, as often as it needs it.

But it is truly hard to believe its been over four years (April 2015) since I've changed strings on this guitar, which is seeing more play time than any other.
Wow bro...............

To each their own. I change strings at least once a month on my tele.

New strings sound better and feel better to me.

Also, hard to imagine intonating / setting up a guitar with old strings :eek:

Starshine

Have you noticed that the out-of-tuneness of a guitar being played in the local Guitar Center is in direct proportion to how loud it is being played? Every single Tele that is played loud for overdrive through the floor Deluxe Reverb is always out of tune. No exceptions. At least on YouTube you can stop the video. I honestly feel so sympathetic to the guys at GC for that reason alone.

If you love music and playing guitar, and appreciate the folks that are listening to your hard work, you should at least be grateful enough to tune your frickin' instrument. I have a zero tolerance policy for out-of-tuneness in bands I'm in, even if I'm the leader or not.
I was trying out the new Electric XII at GC the other day and had left my phone with the tuner app out in the car. Tried for about 10 minutes to tune it by ear and each time I thought I was in, I'd strum a chord and it was worse than before. I eventually gave up in embarrassment and walked out. Those 12 strings are pain.

FokenBusker

Do it always.

And please, please, never ask me to tune your guitar. I effing HATE it when a guitar player asks me to tune their instrument for them. I'll even lend them my Snark clipon for a moment to do it but DO NOT ASK ME TO TUNE YOUR INSTRUMENT

EDIT: busking, folks. it takes all kinds.

teefus

i played for years with a band leader that did not even own a tuner. pedal or headstock. he would attempt to tune by ear and he was always way off. drove me nuts.

If a guitar goes out while playing, that's somewhat forgiveable (though mostly preventable IMO).
But I've turned off many, many YouTube demos because the guitar wasn't tuned to begin with.

How do players not hear this in their vids?

Maybe they get so distracted by making the vids that they don't notice until afterwards, and by then it's too much trouble to do over.
But to put yourself out there playing out of tune for all the world to see?

Are they entirely devoid of self-respect? or so egotistical that they think it sounds great anyway?
Or is there now a whole generation of tone deaf musicians?

Trending Topics