All Guitarists, Please, I beg you...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tootone, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

It’s not just about a guitar BEING in tune and properly intonated

It’s ALSO about PLAYING in tune

And for example if you have jumbo frets, it’s a lot easier so to speak to play out of tune because if you are mashing the strings all the way down to the fretboard it is going to be substantially sharper than the open string or just touching the top of the fret

Good players learn to adjust pressure etc On both single notes/double stops and for chords

A poor player can play guitar that is tuned and it will still sound out of tune

Really good/conscientious players will also retune the guitar (remember guitar tuning is ALWAYS a compromise because equal temperament ) for certain songs depending on which interval reigns and where it’s played on the fretboard

Certain songs using drone strings or like say relying on a certain interval on a doublestop sounding right will benefit from slight tuning adjustment for that critical interval

I don’t have perfect pitch but I have very good relative pitch (it’s not a skill I developed - it’s just how I hear) and it is excruciating to hear certain players way out of tune ...

2. nowhere

nowhere Member

That's why I'm going to make my own Youtube channel where there's no gear! Just wiggling my fingers in scale patterns in a close up shot.

Also, my channel will have blackjack... and hookers!

JamCave Studio likes this.
  3. McGTR

McGTR Member

I don’t like rule people, and being told shi*, so I think Im going to start detuning and mess up my intonation now.. it will be like getting a new pedal!

Beckett93 and ellis dee like this.
  4. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

I used to think this way, but is it really so bad if someone can only play three chords and just likes messing with lots of amps and stomp boxes? It's fun to trade gear with friends, like baseball cards, and share opinions about the gear. I'd say it's like a companion hobby to playing guitar, not directly in competition with it. I see people say "they should spend more time practicing, but IME, messing with gear doesn't account for that much time. Repairing the gear when it breaks down does, but that's another story.

5. pinfloi

pinfloi Member

Intonate and play on tune. OK. But also important:

CLEAN YOUR FILTHY NAILS!

Some videos are really disgusting.

moore_for_less likes this.
  6. Brettski

Brettski Member

Facebook, bro. Facebook is where you go to scream into the void that you got a flat tire, your girl left you for Steve, politics and RAAAH PEOPLE NEVER TUNE GUITARS!!!

7. Tootone

Tootone Member

Thats OK. As long as we don't have to listen to it. Even by accident.

McGTR likes this.
  8. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

I feel like the angry people in this thread actually look for YT channels that have out of tune guitars playing just to be angry about something. No one is making anyone click on that thumbnail you know? Frank Zappa said it best: Shut up and play yer guitar.

Beckett93 likes this.
  9. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Member

And an addendum...Do not make people listen to you as you tune up. Sorry, but definitely a pet peeve of mine. Considering how inexpensive electronic tuners are, there is just no reason for it. Carry on.

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

OK. Starting today ...

11. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

I mean, when you tune your guitar with a tuner the FIRST thing your ear should notice is how out of tune your open D chord is.

It sounds bad, period. But if your ears are only trained to rock'n'roll guitar sounds then it probably sounds fine to you which means you cannot hear proper intonation.

Back in reality, people with perfect pitch or at least good ears usually find their own tuning compromise. Danny Gatton religiously tuned to an open A chord with the upper A on the 5th fret of the E string. Hey, at least one chord rang true! Even Buzz Feiten came up with a silly nut design to help compromise the tunings for himself. Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle trying to get the octaves sorted out but then the thirds/fifths often sound worse.

So, dear guitar players, your tuner makes your guitar out of tune the second you touch any frets. You're just used to being out of tune.

12. Silverra

Silverra Member

OK

13. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

I only sweep tune.

14. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I gave this answer to someone else in another discussion:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...been-hinting-at.1963152/page-38#post-29314956

15. gman1951

gman1951 Silver Supporting Member

I tune because I care!

16. Steady

Steady Member

Ok, so I just spent an hour intonating my baritone because this thread got all up in my noodle (and tell me if I’m doing this wrong: tune 12th fret harmonic, then check 12th fretted note - adjust bridge saddle until they match).

Now there’s got to be some middle ground between the golden ears crowd (who’ll never be satisfied because guitar tuning will always be a compromise) and the “it’s only rock n roll” crowd, right? Well I’m trying to find it. We’ll see I guess because I’m on YouTube - y’all call me out if my tuning is egregiously borked, ok?

17. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Wow bro...............

To each their own. I change strings at least once a month on my tele.

New strings sound better and feel better to me.

Also, hard to imagine intonating / setting up a guitar with old strings :eek:

18. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Supporting Member

Awesome tone starts with being in tune!

19. Starshine

Starshine Member

I was trying out the new Electric XII at GC the other day and had left my phone with the tuner app out in the car. Tried for about 10 minutes to tune it by ear and each time I thought I was in, I'd strum a chord and it was worse than before. I eventually gave up in embarrassment and walked out. Those 12 strings are pain.

20. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

And please, please, never ask me to tune your guitar. I effing HATE it when a guitar player asks me to tune their instrument for them. I'll even lend them my Snark clipon for a moment to do it but DO NOT ASK ME TO TUNE YOUR INSTRUMENT

EDIT: busking, folks. it takes all kinds.

Batch likes this.