• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

All Guitarists, Please, I beg you...

edro

My late big bro beat in my head from the time I was a little crumb snatcher, 'play the damn frets, not the board.'

Not much can sound worse than an actually tuned guitar being played by somebody that acts like they are trying to choke a big pissed off eastern diamondback to death with extreme prejudice....especially on a thin neck guitar...

A short DYI project if you have a strobe or a sensitive tuner....
Sit in the recliner with guitar/bass supported full by a strap. Assuming perfectly tuned guitar, left hand away from guitar, excite string, look at the strobe, and touch the back of peg head with a finger tip as lightly as you can but watch the strobe as you do it. Then excite a string, watch tuner and holding body, move the guitar a bit forward/back watching the strobe... If just THOSE things can dance the tuner (which means detuning the guitar that point in time) consider how far off true, while you are 'chokin dat chicken neck'... ;)

stubbyJ

Silver Supporting Member
Doesn't help, but true story. I was in a group where the other guitarist played with cheap, jumbo-fret-trem guitars, cheap amps and a death grip. Needles to say he was always out of tune. One night for the fun of it we all tuned to his "custom" tuning and it actually kinda "worked." Never did it again, but it was oddly interesting. This guy had been playing for years in gigging bands....blows my mind.

fjrabon

My late big bro beat in my head from the time I was a little crumb snatcher, 'play the damn frets, not the board.'

Not much can sound worse than an actually tuned guitar being played by somebody that acts like they are trying to choke a big pissed off eastern diamondback to death with extreme prejudice....especially on a thin neck guitar...

A short DYI project if you have a strobe or a sensitive tuner....
Sit in the recliner with guitar/bass supported full by a strap. Assuming perfectly tuned guitar, left hand away from guitar, excite string, look at the strobe, and touch the back of peg head with a finger tip as lightly as you can but watch the strobe as you do it. Then excite a string, watch tuner and holding body, move the guitar a bit forward/back watching the strobe... If just THOSE things can dance the tuner (which means detuning the guitar that point in time) consider how far off true, while you are 'chokin dat chicken neck'... ;)
yeah, it’s always hilarious to me when people want their tuner to be accurate to a half a cent to do intonation, when even the best guitarists in the world can’t actually fret a note that accurately while playing.

heck, the leading edge of a pick struck note is generally 2-5 cents sharper than the tail end of a note, depending on how hard you strike it.

I’ve come to believe that the OVERWHELMING majority of guitarists would actually sound better if they intonated their guitar slightly flat to compensate for picking and fretting too hard.

for example, if you’ve ever commented on the “feel” of a rosewood fretboard vs a maple fretboard... you are absolutely fretting too hard and you’re causing your notes to go sharp. If played correctly, your fingers literally don’t touch the fretboard.

edro

Not to mention a bass player with a bass action that would make even an Esteban ski slope guitar look good, tuning correctly on open strings but couldn't play an in-tune note to save his life...

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
My biggest issue is the guys who review and compare gear, usually really nice, expensive gear on YouTube and can't play. I understand everyone is passionate about guitar and gear and I don't fault anyone for owning nice gear at any skill level. Hell, I am not a master player either....but, don't make YouTube videos if you can't actually demonstrate the stuff through competent playing. I see this more and more lately and it makes finding demos a challenge.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
Doesn't help, but true story. I was in a group where the other guitarist played with cheap, jumbo-fret-trem guitars, cheap amps and a death grip. Needles to say he was always out of tune. One night for the fun of it we all tuned to his "custom" tuning and it actually kinda "worked." Never did it again, but it was oddly interesting. This guy had been playing for years in gigging bands....blows my mind.
My tuning has become more even tempered from using tuners. I didn't even own a tuner until 5-10 years ago. I mean I had one you blow into, I used to use it to get an "A" reference at home and not much else.

musicman1

Intonate your %$#@ing Guitar!!
Tune your %$#@ing Guitar!!

Make it THE first things you ever learn how to do on guitar.

Do it always.

ALWAYS!!! Especially if someone else is going to hear you play.... THAT'S YOU! You YouTube %$#@€rs.
yes yes yes. Intonation needs to be checked every string change. Same brand same gauges will have minor fluctuations. Sometimes you get a faulty new string that wont intonate.

Tootone

Out of tune, is, out of normal-human-ear-perceptible tune.

Sure, you can argue the physics of guitar design and imperfections.

But you are just an Egyptian Swimmer...

.. In de Nile.

Put Physics and Feiten aside.... you have to look at it like this. Every other guy on stage is in tune, with pretty much the same guitar design as you. You are the only one out of tune and consistently sucking really bad. Physics? Or is there a more apparent root cause?

Last edited:

apeekaboo

Intonate your %$#@ing Guitar!!
Tune your %$#@ing Guitar!!

Make it THE first things you ever learn how to do on guitar.

Do it always.

ALWAYS!!! Especially if someone else is going to hear you play.... THAT'S YOU! You YouTube %$#@€rs.
Ever heard the expression Close enough for rock'n roll?

:aok

My biggest issue is the guys who review and compare gear, usually really nice, expensive gear on YouTube and can't play. I understand everyone is passionate about guitar and gear and I don't fault anyone for owning nice gear at any skill level. Hell, I am not a master player either....but, don't make YouTube videos if you can't actually demonstrate the stuff through competent playing. I see this more and more lately and it makes finding demos a challenge.
Absolutely. Some of them are almost painful to listen to. Plus, playing which lacks finesse often doesn't show the responsiveness of the equipment in terms of dynamics or sustain character.

If you play at a beginner's level and want to demo good equipment, for heaven's sake have a friend who CAN play come help with the demo.

That way you can adjust controls while he's playing and make a decent demo - one where people can pay attention to the sound rather than having to focus all their willpower on putting up with intolerably bad playing for as long possible can before giving up.

bojocatkite

One important thing: when the strings start to get old, they will sound like if you were out of tune or with a very bad intonation, especially when playing open chords on the first 3 frets.... I think this is what happen for often than really badly intonated guitars, and I see that so many times with guys keeping their guitars out of the case on those rack stands when the strings rust faster.

Calebz

Really good/conscientious players will also retune the guitar (remember guitar tuning is ALWAYS a compromise because equal temperament ) for certain songs depending on which interval reigns and where it’s played on the fretboard
This is a good point. We generally bake in about 15-20 seconds for silent tuning every 2-3 songs. All of my stuff requires a certain amount of tuning compensation. Building setlists and tuning points with that in mind is a nearly invisible way to be just a little bit shinier than the other bands on the circuit ;)

RicOkc

I've always been a stickler for being in tune.

Like mentioned before, most players back in the 60's & early 70's used a "pitch pipe" for tuning.

In the early 70's I paid $90 for a tuner I bought at a local pawn shop. At that time accurate tuners were extremely expensive and were few & far between.

We checked the tuning on every instrument, (even the keyboards) before playing a gig.

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
I've always been a stickler for being in tune.

Like mentioned before, most players back in the 60's & early 70's used a "pitch pipe" for tuning.

In the early 70's I paid $90 for a tuner I bought at a local pawn shop. At that time accurate tuners were extremely expensive and were few & far between.

We checked the tuning on every instrument, (even the keyboards) before playing a gig.
When I first tried to play, it was the late '70s, and I had a pitch pipe. This and a cheap Classical guitar my parents bought me instead of an electric pretty much dashed my hopes of being Ace Frehley. I could never get the guitar in tune and I could not get my hands around that huge neck. I guess in my parents' eyes it was mission accomplished. But, I was not deterred and I tried again at 13, made some progress on an electric and then really started hard in college. By then, I had a cheap tuner, which was a game changer....

Trending Topics