All hail and praise for the 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mangoman, Dec 11, 2019.

1. SweetSAAB

SweetSAAB Supporting Member

New favorite

2. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

Some like a 412. I prefer a half stack. ;)

3. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

All Hail the 4X12's. 45YO still gigging still loving still hauling and wouldn't change a thing.
    [​IMG]

vicdeluca71, abnerfm, Deus56 and 3 others like this.
  4. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

If you have a good preamp with tons of gain, the Nady RSM-4 or Apex 205 are good places to start on a budget. I like ribbon mics for room mics for their figure 8 patterns and openness of sound, without the delicacy of a condenser that would just get lost in a mix anyway. I also like the AT3035. It has a bit more presence than most LDC's without going into SDC territory.

Honestly though, the mic is only about 10% of the sound for a room mic. It's not like a close mic where the choice of the mic is vitally important. Room micing is all about the sound of the room itself and the placement of the mic in that room. I'd rather use a knockoff SM58 in a good room than a Neumann U47 in a bad one.

In any case, to the OP, don't just fall for any old 4x12. I've played and owned a bunch, and they're not all equal. In fact most, to me, weren't impressive. But a good one, with the right amp, can be a thing of beauty. Find one you like and then find out what speakers and what kind of cab they're in (volume and batting). It could be that what you're liking is the difference in sound than what you're used to. Once you get used to that, you may not be so enamored with it. Or you could have found a good 4x12 that fits your style. 4x12's tend to sound more mushy and less punchy. But they also sound a bit thicker and heavier. It's a tradeoff.

One things for sure, 4x12's are extremely hard to sell. So don't buy one until you're absolutely sure that you love it, because you may be stuck with it for a long time.

bemymonkey likes this.
  5. mody

mody Member

Hey Silent Sound, thanks so much for writing that down!

I didn't think about the room being as important! Really good points, will def experiment on this; my house on a farm has all kinds of spaces, high ceilings too, lots to go by with your post.

I'm into YJM and 80s rock tones these days; got 1959 69' clone (RR100) and the cab that's on it's way is loaded with T75s, I picked that cause it's what he uses and I can't find the older 65s here. I know I'll like it, but as you said it's going to be very different from what I'm used to. This is the sound I got out my Fender MV 2x12 (CL80s) with the same amp, YJM sig strat and a vemuram budi clean boot.

I had to stick the SM57 between those speakers as they were just to bright anywhere else; or maybe my SM57 has issues, will get another one to check against soon. Using an RME babyface pro. Lots to experiment with.

I've committed to that 4x12, it'd done :brick

Fun times ahead! Thanks again.

still.ill likes this.
  6. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

Agreed - between the softening of the market for big/loud/heavy amps and the hassles involved with shipping something like a 4x12 cab, I've had some good luck on Craigslist for stuff like this. Same with larger-scale bass gear.

7. BigBadOrange

BigBadOrange Member

Nothing sounds better than my Marshall 1960ahw, it seems to love every single head I run through it. My Marshall 1965a runs a close second, 4x10 and seems about 1/3 the size and weight of a 4x12.

Darkburst likes this.
  8. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

Every combo amp I've owned, with the exception of the Fender Quad Reverb, I have run through a 4x12 via the extension cabinet out. A 1x12 or even a 2x12 combo just sounds thin and small to me. Gotta move some air. My classic 30 sounded Gigantic through my 4x12.

Darkburst likes this.
  9. GibsonGeek

GibsonGeek Member

I finally recently sold my last 4x12 cab. After decades of playing thru nothing smaller, it is an odd empty feeling. I’ve always had practice amps around but never really used them. Letting go of the last of my gig stuff has been... strange.

The cool thing is, I sold it to a 20ish year old kid who is just opening his own door to the world of gigging rock bands. Just as I’m walking out the door at the other end. It was his first cab. Standing there helping him load it into his car, I rembered that very moment, many many years ago when that was me.

10. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

I always run two 4x12s side by side (spread apart) in stereo in my studio with the Quad---it's epic. :bow

Way too much to haul around often, so typically I use my vertical 2x12 elsewhere.

abnerfm likes this.
  11. Zonk

Zonk Member

Playing through 4x12's is therapeutic, I play more through a Princeton reverb and an assortment of small practice amps but whenever I get the urge I fire up the big iron and blow the cobwebs out. I like to remind myself what it's like to handle high volume, to me nothing can match the fullness and spatial effect of a full stack or a half stack.

12. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

Fryette D120 into a Fryette D412 with Fanes and a FB412 with P50Es is the dream.

I’m looking for something classic and woody that I can load the Fane/Avatar M/H speakers in. Maybe Germino? What about the Reeves stuff?

13. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I have a few, they’re spectacular. Problem is, I recently moved and the new studio is not ready yet, so I’ve been slumming it with a 1x12 for the last 9 months. I miss my 2 4x12 stereo setup I had.. hopefully again soon.

abnerfm likes this.
  14. Deus56

Deus56 Member

Also a devotee of the mighty 4x12.
    Scumback and Kerry Wright, both are stellar.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Mather 1960B style modeled after the Mojave cab (Peter Mather was the OEM for Mojave cabs), loaded with 2 Fane F70s and 2 Avatar/Fane m65s (larger dust cap).

Mated to a Mojave Scorpion, a modded 1987 (extra tube in there) and an Elmwood M90.

Pow!

crimson on pink likes this.
  16. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Scuffy was sad, Scuffy was cross. Scuffy sniffed his blue halfstack.

“A 1x12 is no place for a red tolexed tube head.”
    “I was meant for bigger things. A 4x12 is the life for me.” ;)

17. 71strat

71strat Member

Mather replica 1966 JM45/100 TVB cabinet x EC Collins Pinstripe cloth x 4 Pulsonic G12Ms x Metropoulos LTD ED GMP45 head x all NOS glass. 1956 coated glass MO KT66s x Mullard everything else. 2 x 10Ms gold pins, and 57 mC1 in PI, 61 fat base GZ34.
    Carvin cab Is loaded with 2x Altec 418Hs, and will scare any 4 x 12 to death. Celestion 90w Cream in the 1 x 12.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    MkIII Renegade, Zonk and Swami Asango like this.
  18. Kojack19

Kojack19 Silver Supporting Member

could not agree more....

19. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

Since ive got my 1960tv in 2014, this is my "bedroom" amp/setup to this day:

[​IMG]

PS: im gassing for a 1960ax.

20. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

That’s for sure.. love my Egnater Tourmaster oversized horizontal 2/12... loaded with a Scumback and a Tone Tubby alnico.. sounds closer to a 4-12 with 1/3 of the back off