• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

ALL HAIL ze Klon blind test!!!

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
Too late. I'm leaving for band rehearsal right now and I work early tomorrow morning. Taking my favorite Klon with me. :D

I wanted to make another video for the reveal, but I won't get a day off until Wednesday... Hmmm, what to do... decisions, decisions...
You new name is Cosmic_lame!

Aeon

I noticed in your opening post, you said this:

"Two of the pedals have added bass boosting capabilities. After initial comparison, I decided to only engage the bass boosts for the Strat part of the test. For the LP part of the test, the bass toggle on the Klone will be off and the Bass Contour knob on the modded Soul Food will be at noon. "

Since it seems like A and C sounded similar, and B sounded thin (at least particularly so on the Strat demo sections), it would not surprise me at all if B ends up being the KTR. If that's the case, then perhaps people should focus on the Les Paul sections for a more fair comparison.

There is definitely a bias that people perceive things that are louder (or having more bass) as sounding "better", which may be playing a factor here. I think you really should have avoided engaging the extra bass boosts for all parts of the demo to have a fair representation of the pedals.

louis

Silver Supporting Member
I noticed in your opening post, you said this:

"Two of the pedals have added bass boosting capabilities. After initial comparison, I decided to only engage the bass boosts for the Strat part of the test. For the LP part of the test, the bass toggle on the Klone will be off and the Bass Contour knob on the modded Soul Food will be at noon. "

Since it seems like A and C sounded similar, and B sounded thin (at least particularly so on the Strat demo sections), it would not surprise me at all if B ends up being the KTR. If that's the case, then perhaps people should focus on the Les Paul sections for a more fair comparison.

There is definitely a bias that people perceive things that are louder (or having more bass) as sounding "better", which may be playing a factor here. I think you really should have avoided engaging the extra bass boosts for all parts of the demo to have a fair representation of the pedals.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
I guess I'm the only one that likes B better than A and C. After reading the posts I assume it's because B is the pedal without bass boost in the strat segments. I only listened to the beginning at first, now I know why everyone hates B.

I still like it, a nice texture to the overdrive was my reason.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
I guess I'm the only one that likes B better than A and C. After reading the posts I assume it's because B is the pedal without bass boost in the strat segments. I only listened to the beginning at first, now I know why everyone hates B.

I still like it, a nice texture to the overdrive was my reason.
I liked B the best for what I use a klon/klone for (not higher gain, not after a fuzz, etc.).

Fionn

Brilliant post. I haven't watched the vid. I don't think I will. I at least don't find the need. This is probably the best klon post ever. Brilliant reading...could be a great book...can I buy the movie rights?
Without any sense of sarcasm, I bow to the cosmic_ape, SirGilmore, and the guy on an early page (my humble apologies for forgetting your handle) who listed all the excuses/complaints.
I have seen myself in many posts...and while it may seem I am mocking others I am looking at my own ridiculousness with respect to gear snobbery and how I justify it.
Gentlemen...simply brilliant!

spakuloid

I myself am looking forward to the graphic novelization of this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caribou

Gold Supporting Member
Liked A most consistently, followed by C, then B. I think I would be happy with either A or C. If A or C is the modded SF I might have to grab one. Up until this point I haven't been interested enough to spend the amount of money a typical klone goes for. Maybe it's really different now. Either way, can't wait for the big reveal. Well done OP.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
i am sure when all is revealed we will have everyone who voted SF and liked the SF better finding excuses on how they made a mistake.

Or how now the other pedals sound better all of a sudden.

Jonny D

I cast my vote with the A - C - B Crowd, though all have some nice usable sounds. A seems to sound most full across the board, though I myself would never stack this kind of pedal with a fuzz.

juri

It would be hilarious if just like the Klon the results to this test would never be released

eddie knuckles

Gold Supporting Member
All 3 clips done with a soundtank TS5.
...through a solid state peavey practice amp
....recorded with a $4K Neuman Condenser mic, Mogami wiring, into a Neve console

Glorius fun! In fact I don't want to know the answer. It is way better that way.

:spit

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
Just listened again to confirm... my preference is...
C > B > A

Trending Topics

Top Bottom