All 'hog dread vs spruce/'hog?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by navigate40, Jan 13, 2020 at 7:10 AM.

1. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

An all hog guitar is exactly that. An all hog guitar. It's a great sound but it would probably never be the first choice for 90% of guitarists if we were still living in the "I only have one guitar" world that I was born into.

Spruce top mahogany body is probably the most versatile "standard" wood combination ever tried. Not too Boomy. Not too bright. You can play anything on it.

2. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

For many reasons.
    Customer preference being one of the primary reasons. Someone convinced that Macassar Ebony allows more high
    frequencies to shine through.
    He/She might prefer working with a particular wood, knowing that their PARTICULAR method of bracing and tuning the top guarantees a rich, complex tone. Asked whether it was the wood or their method, we'll just have to guess what the answer might be.
    My point is these sweeping generalities are being accepted as "gospel" and many guitars are overlooked because somebody read a particular tonewood doesn't favor a vocalist. That's when it's Crazyville, IMO.

People need to play more guitars and see what brands deliver their sound, not obsess on wood, just play a guitar and don't care what wood it's made of. Evaluate it without that knowledge. I guarantee a surprise will occur.

3. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

Excellent point Mr. Natural, in a blind test the guesses would be all over the tonewood scale.

My personal feeling about them is that they just don't sound/feel like I want a guitar to feel. The only way I'd buy one is if I traveled a lot and needed the stability of a CF guitar. In the desert or tropics I can see the attraction, too.

4. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Yeah, I get that every mahogany guitar might not sound like what is accepted as the "mahogany tone." But taking a tonewood's known characteristics into consideration is a far cry from "obsessing on wood," and when choosing between thousands of guitars, intentionally ignoring those known characteristics makes an already daunting task even more difficult.

If I'm looking for a dry, fundamental tone with strong mids, why should I sift through a bunch of rosewood guitars trying to find one that sounds like mahogany?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 1:35 AM
  5. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

Because this is from another website describing Mahogany : warm lows and a thick sound overall make extended lows very full and can produce muddiness in the signal. The low notes are very strong and sometimes overbearing for a pickup. A bright, crisp active pickup that thins out the low end could be a good combination.

How generic do you want to go? Who's "known characteristics" do we choose? What nonsense! But hey, pick the words describing a guitar sound and keep doing it how you're doing if it works for you.

I always hope there's somebody reading that hasn't accepted forum group think and might want to expand their experience and be surprised.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 9:25 AM
  6. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Just because someone wrote that doesn't mean anyone takes it as "gospel." It's just information to consider.

And you go ahead and pretend that a tonewood's characteristic voice has nothing to do with how a guitar sounds, in spite of decades of experienced luthiers who contradict you.

Yes, we're all impressed by how "woke" you are, but advising people to seek out guitars without even considering the wood they're made of is patently absurd, and will waste a lot of people's time.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 1:28 PM
  7. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Does everyone realize we are discussing acoustic guitars?

gibson3798 likes this.
  8. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Yes. Exclusively.

9. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

Funny, you seem to have taken a lot for gospel regarding tonewoods. You're preaching it as if you a true believer.

There's nowhere you can point to where I said tonewoods have "nothing to do with how a guitar sounds." I've said it has less to do with tone than who and how it was made.

And I'm doing just what you said in the last paragraph, I'm "advising people to seek out guitars without even CONSIDERING the wood they're made of." Learning more about guitars by playing them is foreign to many forumites who listen to people who tell them to ignore certain woods. You'll learn FAR more that way than listening to subjective nonsense about how all mahogany guitars sound. That's the real waste of time.

Points though for using the term "woke"!

10. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I haven't preached anything except that knowing the general characteristics of a tonewood can help narrow the search when someone is looking for a specific type of sound.

A grateful nation thanks you for your service.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 2:01 AM
  11. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

My experience with both electric and acoustic guitars is that certain woods have tonal tendencies but that every piece of wood is different. And as to the builder's influence - that matches my experience, too. Just recently I played a few Taylors in a local music store - models with laminated back and sides, models with all solid woods of different types, and while they all sounded different they had a "family tone" which was decidedly different to the Martins, Gibsons and Guilds I tried.

12. SDH

SDH Member

The comedy level on this thread is reaching coffee spewing levels!! I thank you all!!

There are a lot of valid points being made for each position but for others like me who live in East BF Egypt we have to rely on tonewood and model descriptions since we typically buy online sight unseen.

OM Flyer likes this.