All I want to do is buy Analogman pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DiNiro, Aug 23, 2019.

1. DiNiro

DiNiro Member

Before I inevitably spend over a thousand dollars, please help me! Right now, I have both sunbenders and a beano boost in the shopping cart and that just cant happen if I want to eat at all over the next month or so....

I'm really looking for suggestions on optimizing my set up for these types of pedals before I start the collection. I bought an RCA Sunface that I'm really liking, and I feel like I should tread softly on the path of fuzz before I load up on options. "spend some time with a good fuzz face" seems like good advice.

I'm using humbuckers and p90s into a Retro King 18w most of the time, and a 50w RK JTM50 when I can get away with it. My bridge pickups are around 9k output PAFs on average and I'm thinking of moving to t tops 7.5k-ish output. If I'm after more touch sensitivity and clarity, more shades of dirt between sparkling cleans and plump fat ass fuzz sounds, is the lower the output better for that? I hear T Tops more single coilish, better for fuzz, but.....

I'm surprised how bright it the RCA sunface gets. I'm nervous at times that it is too much, even though no one seems to be complaining. Sometimes at practice if I'm the only one playing I think, damn, that chord sounds like broken glass, I would never want to plug single coils into it. My amp tone knobs are dialing in more bass than I'm used to. Thats cool, theyre there for a reason, but if I'm correct on the t tops being more like a single coil am I going to be moving past the threshold?

I've never liked any fuzz face pedals before and I think the brightness concern would go away with the sunbenders, but I think if I can get a firm grasp on this sunface thing first, get the right pickups going, i'll be better prepared for this fuzz journey.

I'm considering low output unpotted A3 PAFs, T tops, or possibly overwound T Tops with coil splitting and would appreciate any thoughts on how to get the most out of the sunface with my guitar's electronics before I start really diving in. Hope to hear some wisdom from those who have gone before me on this path!

2. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

On a side note, how’s the RK 18?

3. ED_P

ED_P Silver Supporting Member

I'm very pleased with the POT, his BD-2 Blues Driver mod, and have a Sunface on order.

If you are an effects nut though, the one thing you really need to order is the effects book.

It's a really interesting read, and doesn't have to be read chronologically. You can jump around and read individual short stories piece meal.

[​IMG]

oxtone, nkt275, StratmanSteve and 8 others like this.
  4. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Supporting Member

You like to buy..
    I like to try...
    Mike is fly...

I'll pm you my mailing address:aok

:beer

5. Radar

Radar Member

The POT/KOT is an overrated drive pedal with no bass and ice-picky mids. No need to thank me.

6. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

Well, I have a KOT and IMHO its a great sounding pedal.

Nothing wrong with wanting to buy Analog Man Pedals - he makes great sounding pedals.

His Bi Chorus is on my short list.

Bopcat and Mngwa like this.
  7. 65ChampAmp

65ChampAmp Member

Empty your shopping cart for now. Go cold turkey and quit reading about and thinking about effects pedals entirely. Focus ALL of your energy into your actual music. Work hard on something you cannot now do. Memorize Ted Green's Chord Chemistry, for example.(Hehe).

If you've already done that, screw it. Buy any pedal you want.

Zakor, japanmoran, Abram4235 and 3 others like this.
  8. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

Go slowly, Analogman isn’t going anywhere! totally understand tho

9. Gaheba

Gaheba Member

Don’t worry, we won’t.

10. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Been feeling this way about Keeley pedals lately. Have always loved my Fuzz Head and recently discovered the Red Dirt OD. The sound and feel of his stuff just makes me want to play and play. Now I’m looking at all his other pedals, but no need to rush it.

But yeah, I’d say cool down and bit and enjoy the Analogman stuff you have, no need to go nuts all at once.

DiNiro likes this.
  11. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Mike's Sunbender MK IV is an essential for anyone who likes fuzz!

12. AbePhroman

AbePhroman Member

He's not, but his transistors are!

13. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

As a kicker I like "no need to thank me" a little better than "you're welcome", but they both come off so condescending that it's hard not to be immediately dismissive of the message, not that the sender is normally likely to care much.

14. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

I never had a KOT or POT, but I once had a Analogman chorus pedal. It was ok. It wasn’t leaps and bounds better than other chorus pedals, so I sold it.

15. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

Oh, I'd like to buy him something more practical like a nice suit

DiNiro and TubeStack like this.
  16. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

Buying the MKlV, seems like a good choice. Or, MKlV and Beano- both great with humbuckers

DiNiro likes this.
  17. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Not overrated for what Mike sells them for, it's a good value if you like the tone. But it's definitely overrated for what they sell for on the used market.

Vaibhav Joshi and Radar like this.
  18. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Thanks. ;)

Radar likes this.
  19. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

You say that like its a bad thing.
    Commence!

20. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I'm no help. I have 3 of his pedals on my board now and one on the way.

NKT HG sunface, mini chorius, ARDX20 with Amazio and a KOT coming soon I'm told.

analogmike likes this.