All-in-One Mics?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Baphometblood06, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Baphometblood06

Baphometblood06 Member

Thinking of trying out home recording.
    Does anyone happen to know of any one microphone that would serve well as a mic for electric guitar, bass, and vocals? I was thinking just going for an SM57, but are there any other jack-of-all-trades options out there?
    I plan on recording death and black metal. The mic also doesn’t necessarily have to excel at all three categories, basically anything that’ll get me buy for now until I scrape together some more funds will be suitable. I’ll have to go the programmed route with drums by the way, since I don’t know any drummers in my area.
    Any help is appreciated :)

2. Emigre

Emigre Member

An SM57 is the standard mic
    for guitar amps.

I’m not a bass player, but for bass I wouldn’t mic it; I would get a preamp and record it direct. I’m not 100% but the SM57 should do if you must mic an amp.

For vocals though you’ll likely need a different mic.

An all in one is difficult, but I would try a condenser like a Rode NT-1A.

woof* likes this.
  3. Baphometblood06

Baphometblood06 Member

I really like that idea for the bass, thanks for that.
    I believe that the SM57 is in some cases suitable for vocals, I have seen some bands use it in that fashion.
    I’ll definitely give the Rode a look as well

4. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

Probably an SM7B will do the trick for all three.

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

how far removed from an sm57 is an sm7b?
    i've often wondered

6. m@2

m@2 Member

I believe they are nearly identical mics housed in different structures. Sm7b is more comfortable for vocals in my experience.

7. drjordan

drjordan Member

Absolutely agree about recording the bass -- just record it using a DI/preamp. You can get a great bass sound using EQ and a compressor plugin. As a matter of fact, I recorded a band once a couple of years ago where the bass player really wanted to be mic'd. I put an Audix i5 (a lot like an SM57) and a Sennheiser E602 (large diaphragm dynamic kick drum mic) on his bass cab. Thankfully, his amp had a DI on it that I ran directly into the interface. I'm fairly certain that, in the mix, the mics ended up just being muted.

For a mic that will work for vocals and guitar cabs -- you can record vocals using an SM57, but there are probably better options. There are some famous examples of artists using an SM57 to record vocal...probably the most famous is John Lennon. But for $300 (new, less used), you can get some really good condenser mics: Audio Technica AT4040, Miktek MK300, Advanced Audio CM47FET, sE Electronics sE2200, Warm Audio 47jr, Blue Bluebird, and the aforementioned Rode NT-1A. Any of those will work better for vocals than an SM57 and will be fine on a guitar cab. For $100 more, the Shure SM7b is a large diaphragm dynamic mic that would also work for vocals and a guitar cab.

gulliver and Emigre like this.
  8. orogeny

have you ever used a 57 with the foam pop filter on it? it changed the way i experience that mic.

for the OP, my favorite mic is a great GREAT all-rounder: HEIL PR35. a bit pricier but worth it. i could sell all of my mics and record with this one alone.

9. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

Pretty far. An SM7B is a really solid, full-sounding dynamic mic that captures bass well and doesn't have the high-mid peak that an SM57 does.

An SM57 is a standard for guitar cabs, but doesn't do a lot else very well. And, actually, I hate them on guitar cabs, too, but I'm virtually alone in this. :)

I've used an SM7B with great results on bass cabs, kick drums, and vocals, and I like 'em on guitar cabs, too.

That isn't my understanding (though I could be wrong). An SM57 and an SM58 are nearly identical, but my understanding is that an SM7B is way different, both internally and structurally. In any case, it sounds way different. It's also about four times as expensive, and I don't think that's due to the housing alone.

Badtone and Jugghaid like this.
  10. orogeny

good reply
    thanks

theRagman likes this.
  11. m@2

m@2 Member

From Shure website “For the development of the SM7 (what became SM7b), Shure engineers were given the SM57 cartridge elements (Unidyne III) and asked, without restrictions on size or cost to essentially make it better. For this reason, the SM7b is sometimes referred to as the SM57 on steroids.”

Glitch Magnet and theRagman like this.
  12. Pewtershmit

Pewtershmit Member

They use similar capsules, the transformer is much higher end, which extends its frequency response a lot. It also sounds different because there is no way you can get close up on the capsule and there is more air behind the capsule, resulting in more low end.

I use an SM7 for my everything mic, the big reason I use it is that it doesn’t take a lot of the room into consideration. If I had a perfectly treated room and no computer humming and guitars sympathetically vibrating I would 100% use a condenser all the time but it is not practical. The sm7 I can hold in my hand and sing into it too and again I don’t really have to worry about extraneous noise.

That being said, the SM7 is pretty over rated. You need a good preamp to go with it , or at the very least a cloud lifter. I would highly recommend if you are looking toward an SM7 take a look at the Aston Stealth. Really nice mic with built in preamp.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY

when you’re just starting out, the actual choice of mic’s, preamps and converters mean very little if you don’t have the experience. Your going to see way more gains by focusing on mic technic, good playing and good tone.

Get a decent interface, good monitors and start with a cheap mic dynamic or condenser, whatever at this point.

The world of Recording is wrought with diminishing returns, far more than guitar gear. Don’t get caught up in the gear, it’s a huge rabbit hole.

13. Trick Fall

Trick Fall Member

My opinion would be get the 57. They are a classic for a reason and while it won't be the "best" mic for all three applications it will do a credible job of all three. You will get much better results with a 57 and recording as much as possible than you will with a Neumann U87 and not recording much at all.

Emigre likes this.
  14. HammyD

HammyD Member

I saw this sometime ago and I think it illustrates your point perfectly!

15. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I would get two inexpensive mics. A dynamic for amps and a condenser for vocals or acoustic instruments.

There are plenty of SM57 copies that are much less expensive. If you plan on using it live, spring for the SM57 as it is built like a tank.

Even an SM58 copy will be fine, many on the used market for next to free.

There are also low cost condensers, some with performance that attempts to copy the Neumann U87. Not saying it will match a U87, but as long as it picks up vocal nuances and is not nasal in its voicing, it will be good.

If you do get one mic, I think a good condenser will sound great with vocal and amps, where a good dynamic will be just okay on vocals.

I've always found, putting blankets around mics in a non-professional recording environment is an excellent way to get rid of room echo.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  16. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

For those two genres, I think an SM-57 will do just fine. Vocal fidelity isn't exactly at a premium there. :) The previous post about diminishing returns is unbelievably accurate.

Emigre likes this.
  17. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

A 57 is fine for most things. Personality, I dislike that mic for most things.
    However, I like a substantial amount of mics for vocal and cabinet application: The RE20, 421, ND46... are some of my go-tos.

18. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

I'm a fan of Sennheisers. The 421 would be very allround indeed, for instance. Modern e9-series are great as well.

Also you could explore ribon mics or something like the SE Magneto.
    Sound nothing like the other. The 7 is more forgiving and not as peaky. It also has a ridiculously low output.

theRagman and Badtone like this.
  19. Trick Fall

Trick Fall Member

I also wanted to mention that the SM7, while a great mic has a pretty low output and you would need a strong preamp to drive it. I've heard of people having issues with the built in pres in some interfaces and the SM7.

Badtone likes this.
  20. KenMorgan

KenMorgan Member

I’ve never gotten a bad sound when using an EV RE16...

Owned a mega expensive pair of Sennheiser 441s...and frankly the RE16 won in 99 out of 100 applications