All-in-One Mics?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Baphometblood06, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Pewtershmit

Pewtershmit Member

I would argue the opposite. As long as the performer is aware of the proximity effect and doesn't eat the mic, the 57 is the more versatile choice.

Trick Fall likes this.
  2. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

This is the opposite of diversity.
    It's like you want to combine everyone & make a generic human.

3. Emigre

Emigre Member

Tbh if I were to get two mics I would get the SM57 and the Rode NT-1A or another mid price condenser mic. Then you'll have some variety at least.

The SM57 and the e906 are both guitar amp mics, though can be substituted in a pinch or sound good when used creatively.

for my money, sonner or later you'll end up with an SM57 because it's the gold standard, frequency graphs be damned! And a condenser is the all rounder.

Bottom line, you'll end up with an SM57 and a condenser, so might as well start there.

Just my $0.02 :)

4. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Honestly couldn't say that the 57 was intended as one, it probably having been used by US presidents to speak into for longer than with guitar amps.

Emigre likes this.
  5. Emigre

Emigre Member

Fair enough, happy to be corrected :)

Humble Texan Fan likes this.
  6. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

AKG C414B-ULS

it's a mic that covers everything very well

7. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I've had and used both mics for a long time, and to be honest the differences between the two were extremely subtle and nothing that couldn't be adjusted via EQ at the mixing stage. In my opinion, the 57 sounds a little better on guitar cabs (there's a reason they're ubiquitous and have probably been used on more rock guitar recordings than any other mic in history), but I also find the 57 considerably better on snare drums than the 906. But really it's apples and oranges, as the two are so similar.

So with that in mind, I'm not sure you'd really need both.

8. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

No, not to correct. Just a bit of trivia.

Emigre likes this.
  9. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I use a couple 57s for guitar, and I usually prefer to mic my Trio from a 12" Tweed Bassman speaker. It does all I need it to and makes it possible to record in a small room with minimal bleed over. The proximity effect makes mic placement critical. It'll work for vocals too but is *pop* prone without a wind shield or cover. I prefer a 58 for that but since I don't sing anymore, it doesn't matter.

10. halcyon

halcyon Member

I love the SM57 for vocals, but I love screamy black/doom metal vocals, so... :) \m/