All maple body guitar pups suggestion

BA6412

I have a ESP S/S/H all maple body and ebony fretboard guitar with EMG SA/SA/85, I feel it sound too bright , and high mids is too much but lack of bass, so I'm thinking to upgrade pups, please help suggestion which pups is able to solve this problem.
Thanks!

mesa/kramer

I have an all Maple Kramer that was pretty bright.

I put in a Seymour Duncan "Custom Custom" which is for bright guitars and it sounds great.

BA6412

Thanks for reply, I just checked the Duncan tone chart, The Alnico II Pro is B:7 /M:4 /T:8,
Custom Custom is B:3 /M:7 /T:7 ,
I'm wondering isn't it still too bright for all maple guitar?
Thank you

dazco

Not sure, but alnico 2 will help soften the brightness some. you may wanna see what pups have a A2 magnet.

erikm5150

try a dimarzio Air Zone to tame brightness.
If it is still too bright, try using 250k/300k volume pot instead of 500k.

Dale

Thanks for reply, I just checked the Duncan tone chart, The Alnico II Pro is B:7 /M:4 /T:8,
Custom Custom is B:3 /M:7 /T:7 ,
I'm wondering isn't it still too bright for all maple guitar?
Thank you
The custom custom is like a high power APII to me. I use it in the bridge of one of my tele type guitars with the APII neck. Both are more mellow than the tone chart suggests.

BA6412

Many thanks for everyone kindly help, I'll try them out,
BTW, also like to know any darker single coil neck and middle pups for this bright guitar for tone balance?

BA6412

Hi, anyone please recommend darker single coil neck and middle pups for this bright maple guitar, thanks!

M

Member 132475

How about Duncan SSL-5 or 6? They are higher output pickups though.