All May Not Be Lost! Can I Indeed Use My HD500 As A Controller For an 11R?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mickslick, Apr 5, 2011.

1. mickslick

mickslick Member

Just when I was about to permanently boat anchor my HD500 due to it's non musical distortion modeling issues, reading the threads it appears that you can use the 500 as a foot controller. Just want to confirm that this is indeed the case? I assume you connect it via the midi connections and tweak the buttons from there?

Any way, I paid $399 for the 500 with a $100 off coupon, and it looks like a good stand alone midi foot controller is near that price anyway, so am excited by this potential solution.

Woo Hoo!

2. jvstrat

jvstrat Member

Yes you can. I got an 11r last week. If you just plug the midi in you can only change banks and patches, but you can also program it to control everything else.

3. mickslick

mickslick Member

Can you program a tap tempo and the pedal as a a volume pedal and wah?

4. GuitarTone

GuitarTone Senior Member

What issues are you referring to...learn to tweak it and you'll have no issues.
    Can you post some clips demonstrating these "issues"?

5. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

6. mickslick

mickslick Member

Thanks Vilain, the post is greatly appreciated and saved for when I receive the 11.

7. mickslick

mickslick Member

Read this from the beginning to the end and you should get a pretty good idea of what's going on.

http://line6.com/community/thread/54572?tstart=0

8. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

9. GuitarTone

GuitarTone Senior Member

By the time I've read that cr*p from beginning to end the HD700 will be released...no thanks.

10. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

I'll give you $200 for it.

11. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

If you're saying that v1.22 did not fix the "fizzies" problem for you, then you've got something else wrong.

Why not post the particulars of your situation? Maybe we can help.

And I'll give you $210 for it... :)

12. GuitarTone

GuitarTone Senior Member

13. musoleum

musoleum Member

Give me $200 plus the HD and i will take it off your hands!! ;)

14. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

I've been considering doing something similar. I thought it would be cool to have the HD500 controlling the 11R and use some of the HD effects in the loop. However, I'm a bit concerned about all the combined latency.

I've been testing this out with my tube amps. Any farther than 10 ft away starts to feel a bit odd. The 11R adds roughly 3 ft of latency. I assume the HD500 adds another 3 ft. A class D monitor, like the QSC K10, adds another 2 ft. I don't think I want to deal with a combined latency of about 8 ft. I'd have to stand 2 ft away from the speaker just to be at my latency limit. So, it's something you may want to consider and test out.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member

Have you really experienced any of this Latency, or are you just doing math?

I have run that exact rig live a few times it it was perfect and I was like 10 feet from the HD500.

16. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

My first test was with my analog rig. I have no idea how much latency is in my analog rig, but I used a tape measure to check distance. I was surprised to find out that I noticed latency at about 10 ft.

My next test was with my HD500 into the fx return of my amp. Again, I don't know how much latency is in the HD. My guess would be the HD adds roughly 3 ms At the same 10 ft distance, it felt a bit disconnected to me. When, I moved a bit closer, it felt fine.

Even though I could feel latency at roughly 10 ft, I might be able to deal with 15 ft or more. The odd thing to me is that I actually seemed to feel more comfortable at 8 ft or less. I've never given this stuff much thought. I need to do more testing with my band. But, I thought it might be worth mentioning.

I haven't made a decision yet, because it might be that once I get used to it, everything may work fine. I'll have to try things, record my band and listen back. In any case, I realize that what works or doesn't work for me may have nothing to do with anybody else. I'm not even ready to present a definitive answer for myself at this point.

17. deanesque

deanesque Member

No one ever thought about latency with guitar amps before the issue arose with DAWs. People think WAY to much about latency. What major concert have you been to where people are less than 10 feet from their amp?

18. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

You know, I just had a similar experience at a recent show. Now keep in mind that you will experience latency as you move away from any sound source and the farther you get the more latency occurs. I didn't have a traditional rig to compare to but it did seem exaggerated from about 15 to 20 ft out. You've got me confused on the class D thing though. A class D amp doesn't actually have any AD/DA conversion and I believe actually has a faster response than a traditional class A/B amp.

19. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

Doesn't anyone run a guitar signal into their monitors? If you have an amp and monitor wedge wider than 20' apart, you're playing on a really big stage.

20. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

The folks from QSC have acknowledged that the K10 adds about 2ms latency to the signal chain. The latency on the HD500 is exactly 2ms, I've measured it myself.

That said, I've just unpacked my K10 and noticed no difference in latency from my all analog valvestate. One thing I've noticed though is that the 11R doesn't seem to have enough output to drive it to full volume. Bummer. The thing seems to have been designed with mixing boards in mind. Either that or those 1000W sound more like 30W.