• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

All my strats have hummers in the bridge

kimos55

Follow your dreams turst your heart
Gold Supporting Member
Just bought a Stratocaster #4 The bridge pup sounds thin, It’s wired with CS Texas Specials. The bridge pup is direct wired with so that the tone knob is bypassed, it sounds really thin. ( no Balls ) I have never bought a stacked pup, I want to keep the same pick guard, I was thinking Stacked Hummer DiMarizo or Duncan, Any Recommendations?

Last edited:

rickt

Platinum Supporting Member
I put 3 stacked Seymour Duncans into a Fiesta Red G&L George Fullerton Signature Legacy and it sounded pretty darn good.

Wyatt Martin

Of the 2 you brands you mentioned I'd go with DiMarzio. But.... I don't know what kind of tone you want to achieve.

Dimarzio has stacked hum free single coils like the Area 58, 61 and 67 that are more vintage sounding without the hum and the Virtual Vintage Blues, Heavy Blues 2 and Solo that are more robust in the midrange and low end that still sound single coil like when playing clean but handle distorted tones better than most single coils in my experience. They also have various single coil size humbuckers. I like the Heavy Blues 2 for what I do.

My experience with Seymour Duncan is limited. I've owned the Lil 59 in a strat that I liked to a point. By itself it sounded pretty good but was dark compared to the rest of the pickups. This could be remedied some by exchanging the volume pot to a 500k but that would make the other single coils even brighter. There are ways around all that but I do good just to solder in the replacement pickups. I don't know anything about using different capacitors across the pots to increase or decrease highs.

Hooking the bridge pickup up to the tone control is a good idea in my opinion.

FWIW I have owned Texas Specials before and I wasn't a fan. I actually haven't found any Fender replacement pickups I've cared for. Others will disagree.

BBSuggs

I may go with the Dimarzio Injector in the bridge. I picked up 2 Strats from a friend last year, and, as usual, the bridge pickups are unusable. I normally put a humbucker of some kind back there, but would like to keep them looking stock.

I'm rolling the dice, but the 11.35Kohm resistance will probably suit my preferences.

SPECIFICATIONS
Wiring: 4-conductor
Magnet: Alnico 2
Output: 185mV
DC resistance: 11.35Kohms
Year of introduction: 2010

Good luck! It's a tough call.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Try adjusting your amp until it doesn't sound thin.
Single coil Strats sound great (obviously) and you just have to find the tone, which may need different settings than a humbucker.

ripgtr

Try adjusting your amp until it doesn't sound thin.
Single coil Strats sound great (obviously) and you just have to find the tone, which may need different settings than a humbucker.
^^^ This.
Now, some single coils sound thinner than others, but a single coil bridge with no tone can sound fat if you set your gear for it. Turn off the bright switch. Turn down the treble. I play humbucker, p90s, teles, strats. I have to set the amp differently, and the fx as well, for each, to get the best out of them.
They don't sound like humbuckers, as well, which is what you are used to. That is the point, really. But you can get pretty close tonewise between the two by adjusting things.

kimos55

Gold Supporting Member
Of the 2 you brands you mentioned I'd go with DiMarzio. But.... I don't know what kind of tone you want to achieve.

Dimarzio has stacked hum free single coils like the Area 58, 61 and 67 that are more vintage sounding without the hum and the Virtual Vintage Blues, Heavy Blues 2 and Solo that are more robust in the midrange and low end that still sound single coil like when playing clean but handle distorted tones better than most single coils in my experience. They also have various single coil size humbuckers. I like the Heavy Blues 2 for what I do.

My experience with Seymour Duncan is limited. I've owned the Lil 59 in a strat that I liked to a point. By itself it sounded pretty good but was dark compared to the rest of the pickups. This could be remedied some by exchanging the volume pot to a 500k but that would make the other single coils even brighter. There are ways around all that but I do good just to solder in the replacement pickups. I don't know anything about using different capacitors across the pots to increase or decrease highs.

Hooking the bridge pickup up to the tone control is a good idea in my opinion.

FWIW I have owned Texas Specials before and I wasn't a fan. I actually haven't found any Fender replacement pickups I've cared for. Others will disagree.

I am looking for a fat sound I can DO Rage against the machine drop D , Hendrix and then do Jazz too, Then bop to country... I play with a lot of bands and different situations, After Trying almost every brand of guitar I always end up gigging with a strat sometimes a teli but I am a Strat Guy. I have 4 strats all with Hummers in the bridge, they all are great, I love the way the new Strat looks and figured I would just get a stacked pup, Thinking DiMarizo super Distortion

DownByLaw

Silver Supporting Member
I am looking for a fat sound I can DO Rage against the machine drop D , Hendrix and then do Jazz too, Then bop to country... I play with a lot of bands and different situations, After Trying almost every brand of guitar I always end up gigging with a strat sometimes a teli but I am a Strat Guy. I have 4 strats all with Hummers in the bridge, they all are great, I love the way the new Strat looks and figured I would just get a stacked pup, Thinking DiMarizo super Distortion
I recently watched the Tom Morello rig rundown where he stated that he only uses the neck pickup. Have you tried that?

Patrick

kimos55

Gold Supporting Member
I recently watched the Tom Morello rig rundown where he stated that he only uses the neck pickup. Have you tried that?

Patrick
YUP, I have 3dedicated strats for the Rage songs, I am actually fine other then I just need to convert strat # 5 to a Stacked pup, Thank you for all the suggestions

jackson

I find it strange that so many great rock players were able to sound great on a strat bridge pickup, with no tone control, yet so many people today consider it a problem, that has to be fixed with a hotter pickup or hum buckers. Just wire the pickup to a tone control, and you're set. Adjust the amp accordingly. Or, don't get a strat.

kimos55

Gold Supporting Member
I find it strange that so many great rock players were able to sound great on a strat bridge pickup, with no tone control, yet so many people today consider it a problem, that has to be fixed with a hotter pickup or hum buckers. Just wire the pickup to a tone control, and you're set. Adjust the amp accordingly. Or, don't get a strat.
I will do that but I think it's just this particular strat, Just like any guitar out there they all sound different, The one I just picked up that one pup
sounds really thin..

HipKitty

Gold Supporting Member
Have you tried balancing the pickup heighths starting with the bridge unit?

Trending Topics