All my VST plugins are failing to load in Sonar 8.5...help!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by mojazzmo, Jan 21, 2015.

1. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

I'm soooooo frustrated right now. A few months back I bought S-gear for use in Sonar 8.5. It worked great, loved the tones and feel. Fast forward a month and all of a sudden It fails load. I'm using the latest version and the stand alone works just fine. I can't figure it out so I go back to guitar rig 4 just to get some playing done. After about 5 min of guitar rig being open, I get an error message that it is an unauthorized copy and shuts down. Total bs as it is a bought and paid for legit copy direct from NI. The only way I got It to work was to log into my account in NI and download an update patch and install that. That seemed to work but now just like S-gear, guitar rig gives me the failed to load error in any new project I'm trying build and in any existing track with guitar rig or s gear, I get an error of can't find the plug in. All the current vst files are where they are supposed to be, the scans find everything but they just fail to load. Doing a Google search, I see other people have had this problem but I can't find any solutions. My daw is offline so no virus or anything. One day it worked and then poof the next it didn't. I never changed anything. I also tried updating two updates for sonar and that hasn't worked either. I would throw it out the window in a heartbeat but I have so many tunes built in sonar. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :peenut

2. boblazz

boblazz Member

im feeling your pain. i am on sonar x 3 and now and when i was on 8.5 cakewalk offered no support it was too many versions back. about all you can do is check the cakewalk forums for help. usually someone will help. ive also tried starting sonar as "administrator" . sometimes that works. or i would uninstall the last program you installed before this problem. please post if you figure this out.

3. mattball826

mattball826 Member

rescan your plugins. many newer vst's won't work properly sometimes when using older version of sonar. i had the same issues with protools dated rtas plugs. upgraded pt11 and they were fine.

sonar 8.52 is pretty old. and if you are running a 32b daw with 64b versions of software expect some problems. you didn't indicate your specs so that might help to do so. that will be the first question from the guys at sonar forums.

4. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

I am running on XP and yes it is older but the only new plugin I have purchased is S-Gear. I can understand if that didn't work but Guitar Rig 4 was bought at the same time as Sonar 8.5 and worked flawlessly since I bought it. Then last week it out of the blue gives me a message that Guitar Rig 4 is an unauthorized copy. WTF??? And to further frustrate me is that S-Gear actually worked for about a month. I have not changed anything. Nothing...before these problems popped up. My DAW is a completely dedicated computer, offline, strictly to run Sonar. It's a quad core Pentium built for my audio recording needs. The depressing thing is I found some old cakewalk forum threads from 2010 about this very issue and all of the forum heads told the guy with the problem that he must have have changed something. He said he didn't which is exactly my situation. I haven't felt this much despair ever as I've built hundreds of tracks in Sonar that are practice tracks, original ideas etc...that are all worthless if my plugins don't work. It makes me wonder if there is some sort of programmed obsolescence built into Sonar to crash after a certain amount of years to force you to upgrade. Please enlighten me why my old version of Sonar 8.5 and old version of Guitar Rig 4 that worked flawlessly together for 4 years, all of a sudden stopped working. What are my alternatives for recording software that can handle S-Gear, EZ Drummer, EZ keys, Kontakt/Scarbee Bass? It makes me physically ill to think of losing all of my Sonar tracks that I've spent thousands of hours on over the last 15 years. I realize some will say I should upgrade Sonar which I may do but then I have to buy a new OS like Windows 7 and the Sonar upgrade and then....after all of that and hundreds of dollars spent...it still might not fix the problem. I am at my wit's end. Any help is greatly appreciated.

5. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

One other question...if I upgrade to say Sonar Professional for $99, what Windows 7 should I upgrade to 32bit or 64bit??? Will my old version of EZ Drummer work on a 64 bit system? Upgrading just complicates things exponentially. Arrrrrggg......Sorry for my grumpy reply.

6. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

I upgraded from 8.5 to X3 (studio then producer) and it has been wonderful.

I doubt anyone has any real experience with sonar "professional" Looks like it came out today.

If you are upgrading to X3, You want 64bit Windows. You will then be able to run both 32bit Sonar and 64bit Sonar. (I have to run 32bit sonar to use Drum Core 3, but all of my other programs work fine with 64bit sonar, as the bitbrdige works quite well.

I had an old version of EZ drummer. You will need to go to the toontrack site and download the most recent version avaiable to make it 64bit. This will be 100% free if you have a legit copy. I also have EZ Keys, same deal, they have a 64bit version free for current owners.

As of a few weeks ago, they had the option to download the full trial version of X3 producer. If they have a trial of the new version you might want to give it a try.

(And windows XP is no longer supported, so it would be wise to move away from it if you have computer that will run it properly, IMO)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  7. Pencho

Pencho Member

You can hold down the shift key when you open your file in sonar. this will allow you to load vst's or not when the file opens. Not sure if this may help you troubleshoot. Not sure why they would all fail but agree with rescanning your VST folder and also checking sonar preferences to verify your 64 bit and 32 bit vst folder locations.

8. Pencho

Pencho Member

Just another thought, your PC is not connected to the internet right? So there is no way that Windows could have run it's "auto update" to patch Windows right? Your using sonar 8.5 running on Windows XP? Do any of the sonar vst's load, like the Sonitus EQ or Boost 11? Do any of your soft synths load? If you create a new project, will any vst's load? Are s-gear and guitar rig the only 3rd party vst's you have? If you have any others can you try and load them and let us know.

If you do upgrade I would go with Windows 64 bit for sure. You won't be able to upgrade a 32 bit OS to 64, it will require a new installation of Windows. I would hold off on all that until you get more clarity around your issue. You might need a newer PC just to run Windows 7 which opens up a bigger can of worms.

9. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Thanks Pencho. I have a few things to try that a friend of mine suggested. I'm also going to try Reaper as well. The only concern about Reaper that I read in a review was that it didn't have a "staff" view for the midi tracks . Anyone know if this is true?? If so...its a deal breaker. How do you edit midi tracks without a staff view? Any Reaper users let me know.

Thanks.

10. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

On the advice of a good friend who has had problems with vst plugins, I found the solution. He did a lot of research on vst's and found all kinds of info about different versions and shells that they create. He thought that since sgear isn't suggested for xp, that it corrupted the shells, which I still don't quite understand what that it is. His advice was to uninstall sgear, then uninstall gtr rig and make sure all of the files were gone from the vst folder in sonar. Then I reinstalled gtr rig and bingo....it was back. Ther was one tune that still couldn't load it so I just deleted that entire tune. Other than that, I checked a half dozen old tunes with guitar rig tracks and they all worked. I also tried creating a new tune and that worked as well. So it appears that sgear created all of my problems. I guess I will have to wait until I upgrade my OS to Windows 7 and a newer version of sonar to use Sgear. At least I am back to where I was pre-sgear. That quest for better tone caused me a lot of headaches. Thanks for all of the support and suggestions.

11. mattball826

mattball826 Member

xp is limited spec for most daw and vst these days. if 32 bit xp you maybe have 2gb ram available, and sgear plus drums will chew that up. did you check the cpu resources when you loaded those files? did you freeze the vst instrument plugins? that is a common mistake many make.

you also have to keep in mind with such limits in your daw resources, adding eq's audio fx or just cloning a track, assigning track groups to aux fx bus can be enough to cripple the performance.

going to win 7 or 8 with free upgrade to w10 64 bit will open up the amt of available ram which also depends on your mother board/cpu max ram capability.

are you running your audio files from the same hdd as the program? if so, that will cause issues as track size and plugin use gets heavier.

if you are wanting to run s gear, gr4, and ezd along with bus fx i suggest you build or buy a system that allows better resource demand.

i had a similar issue when i bought x1 (going from 8.5 pe) using it on a win xp 4gram pc core 2duo. i also bought superior drummer 2 and the whole system started to crash. i thought well, all i added was sd2.0. then i looked at my cpu resources with tracks loaded and sd2 running? 93% and left little room for anything to run. i knew it was time to build a new pc. i built a q6600, 8gb ram 2 7200hdd's w7 64.

currently that sys starts to struggle with 40 tracks even with synths frozen. a pretty good benchmark.

my latest win pc is an i7 32gb ram, sdd w8.1, 2- 7200 2tb hdd, fw400/800 card with focusrite ls56 running sonar x3 producer.

beast mode! and cheaper than my mac pro and pro tools 11 rig.

12. germanicus

germanicus Member

I recommend you upgrade to win 8.1, and grab the new Sonar Artist. You can use all your old tracks, and its not much money ($49 for you since you own an sonar 8.5).

13. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Saw your posts after this, but wanted to point out that you are correct. NO staff view stuff in Reaper.

I use sonar, but a lot of people use the piano roll editor to edit midi tracks, even in Sonar. Staff view is really nice to have though.