• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

All of a sudden my Princeton is too loud

GtrWiz

I have a 70-71 Princeton NR that I've been gigging with all year. Roy Blankenship modded it a couple of years ago to put out 18 watts, and it has an Eminence Red Fang. All of these changes were made at least 2 years ago.

In the last 2 weeks I've been asked to turn down by every sound man at every gig. I used to put the amp from 3.5-4 and now I'm running it at 2 and I'm still being asked to turn down, but if I go any lower I lose everything. 1 is off...

Any thoughts?

FFTT

Put your amp on a tilt stand so the sound is directed more at you or cross stage,
so the amp is not pointing into the audience.

buzzp

I have a 70-71 Princeton NR that I've been gigging with all year. Roy Blankenship modded it a couple of years ago to put out 18 watts, and it has an Eminence Red Fang. All of these changes were made at least 2 years ago.

In the last 2 weeks I've been asked to turn down by every sound man at every gig. I used to put the amp from 3.5-4 and now I'm running it at 2 and I'm still being asked to turn down, but if I go any lower I lose everything. 1 is off...

Any thoughts?
Turn down until the show starts! In all seriousness, is there any one reason why he is asking you to turn down? How big is the venue? There is no way your princeton is too loud.

sabby

That Red Fang is loud and centered right in the frequencies that cut through everything. Try an inefficient speaker like a Weber DT (10 or 12) or a WGS Veteren (if the Fang is a 10).

frankiestarr

Those Red Fangs really bite hard ! A different speaker, or a road case, or open guitar case set in front of it (like a baffle), about 4 feet...this will stop that beam. Also, sometimes people confuse volume with shrillness....try some darker settings. Good luck ! The day a Princeton is to loud for a band gig, might be the day I retire ! haha

sabby

That Red Fang is loud and centered right in the frequencies that cut through everything. Try an inefficient speaker like a Weber DT (10 or 12) or a WGS Veteren (if the Fang is a 10).
Just to clarify, I mean the 10" Veteran from their American line, not the 12" Vet from their British speakers. That one rates pretty loud too.

GtrWiz

Turn down until the show starts! In all seriousness, is there any one reason why he is asking you to turn down? How big is the venue? There is no way your princeton is too loud.
multiple shows and soundmen, I already tilt the amp at my head. That's why I'm wondering if anything might have gone wrong with the amp.

IM4Tone

Use a slightly angled up amp stand, and turn the amp/stand around backwards so the sound bounces off the wall behind you. With its open back, you should still be able to hear it OK. This isn't a hypothesis, we've tried it out at jams where there were similar complaints.

davebc

It sounds like a bad dream to me.
What did you eat before bed?

Seriously. You cant use the word "guarantee" too often; but there's 5 words I can guarantee I'll never hear,

"Your-Princeton-is-too-loud."

Or face it away from him.

tdawg

1. tell the soundguy to F off and that he is fing crazy we are playing rock and rock here.
2. turn it up slowly as the gig goes on ( everyone does this don't they?)
3. Get a less efficient speaker.
4. sell your princeton NR and go get yourself a regular princeton reverb

by the way how do you like the Princeton NR vs princeton reverb? I am kinda shopping for one right now.

rybass

I have a noverb that I run at about 5 in my apartment... I do plug into the second input which does lower the volume but dang, too loud on 2. :messedup:messedup:messedup

davebc

I gotta tell ya,
I'm scratching my head on this one.
It's so far outside my reality that a Princeton could be too loud??
Except maybe that yours was modded.
What kind of band, venues, and music are we talking about?
I'm on my smart phone and sometimes it's tricky to read these
entire threads.

I mean if the rooms are so small that a princeton is too loud, maybe nothing should be miked up. I mean
the sound system could be blowing people out of the room.

FFTT

If there was ever just reason to pull a Billie, live on stage it would be if any sound man told me or any member of any group I've ever played with that a Princeton is too loud.

:)

This is why we always brought our own sound system and our own sound man.

Sheesh!

strumminsix

Only reasons I can think of:
1. your amp, while aimed at you, is also is aiming right at the soundguy
2. your amp, while aimed at you, is also is aiming right into a microphone
3. the soundguy has music pumping through multiple speakers throughout the club including bathrooms, foyers, etc, so wants every instrument represented in the mix.

FFTT

Usually if the house is rocking and the people are having a blast &
drinking like fish, a sound man won't bother you.

If however, your band is not drawing people or the people who are there prefer
to sit & talk, rather than to get their fannies shakin' on the floor,
maybe it's not the volume, but the material?

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
18w with a robust speaker can absolutely be too loud. The taper on pots can also be wacky. Or it could be they just hate your playing. Get a dB meter and monitor it while you're playing to get some idea of how loud you are.

12strings

Maybe point the amp across the stage well away from the sound guy. That's what I do with louder 50 watt amps. That way you can crank it and it isn't focused at the sound guy.

biffonbass

1. tell the soundguy to F off and that he is fing crazy we are playing rock and rock here.
2. turn it up slowly as the gig goes on ( everyone does this don't they?)
3. Get a less efficient speaker.
4. sell your princeton NR and go get yourself a regular princeton reverb

by the way how do you like the Princeton NR vs princeton reverb? I am kinda shopping for one right now.
Sure, tell the sound guy to f-off. The guy that is trying to make the band sound better out front. And the guitar gets turned off! Turn up gradually, typical guitar player mind set. Yes, your amp might be too loud. What else have you changed in your pedal board, or have you changed guitars? The other players in the band just might be turning down. If so, your turn.

FFTT

We always faced the Super sideways on stage, which was great because that
was the rhythm player's amp and everything stayed tighter since it acted
as a rhythm stage monitor.

Trending Topics