All of the reasons we buy gear, that have nothing to do with tone

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Eskimo_Joe, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller

I think there are a lot of things outside the pure quest for "tone" that motivate us to buy new (to us) gear. Here are a few. Thoughts?

- Image (to have gear that says something about who you are)
    - Pride (to have the thing that everyone's talking about)
    - Peer pressure (to have something cool / to not have something uncool)
    - Boredom / Opportunity

2. Johns7022

Johns7022 Senior Member

Education: I've bought gear to learn about it: How it works, what it does, how it would affect my playing, see what the hype was about, to learn to set it up, work on it etc.

3. offbeat

offbeat Member

Weight.

You'll understand this as you get older.

4. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Silver Supporting Member

I am older.

I buy for tone, flexibility, and the music project I am involved.

I don't throw or lug. I wheel my giant 4x12 cabs with casters, or carts. Work smarter, not harder. I need volume and big iron, not a toy.

Cool has nothing to do for it. they are tools.

5. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

I spend a ton of time over at www.birdsandmoons.com, one of the PRS forums. And as you can see below, I love PRS guitars.

I can post up a question or a new thread about pickups, electronics, or tone woods, and get ZERO response at BAM. In fact, about 95% of the time.

I can post or watch others post about "adornments" like fancy tops, inlays, knobs, etc. and the whole gang chimes in immediately with gushing remarks and pics.

There are some good players over there and some of them will read my post here and smell a rat.....but honestly some folks will not buy or will buy a guitar purely on the basis of what bird inlays are on the neck, and will diss a guitar that has Dot or "Moon" fret markers or the "wrong" style birds.

6. larimar

larimar Member

"cool factor" is def' part of it.

7. getbent

getbent Member

This reasoning is completely foreign to me. I found this forum looking for specific information about a couple of pedals and two amps. Over the time I've been here, I've found some members whose ears and requirements are similar to mine and I have learned to read what their experiences are to better inform my choices, nothing more nothing less... it is all in fun and all for reaching specific goals...

8. offbeat

offbeat Member

Sounds like you've got the right idea! I bought one of those little collapsible 2-wheel carts, and it's been EXTREMELY handy!

One question.... I understand the big iron part. Transformers have a lot to do with tone. But, why the volume? Is your amp miced through the PA?
    I look at my amp as a tone generator, nothing more... it just has to be loud enough for me to be comfortable on stage. I have a 40 watt single 12" combo, and I put it off to the side of the stage and tilt it up at me.
    I have a 4-12" cab at home that will never see a stage again, unless I sell it. I just don't need to push that much air.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  9. tele_phil

tele_phil Member

Feel - the guitar I bought most recently just feels great to play. It has amazing tone as well.

10. memiller

memiller Member

I've always lugged amps around. The advent of amp modeling was the greatest thing to happen to lazy bastards like me. :rotflmao

11. monty

monty Member

None of the above, I just love gear.

12. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

It's a hobby. Its also something of an addiction for me at this point. Curiosity is a driving factor too.

Cool has nothing to do with it. In fact, most of the guitarists who wanna talk gear at my gigs have never heard of the exotic boutique stuff that I play. So there is no cool factor there.

13. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

your 'thoughts' all deal with motive. The most difficult thing to 'prove' is motive. The 'reasons' are as varied and subjective to the individual that is making the choices. Perhaps a shallow superficial person makes purchases for the reasons you stated....and perhaps a person that is looking for true tone/feel/musicality is looking past those things for something else entirely....

14. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

- as mentioned, convenience- weight and portabiity. Size too- I need an amp that easily fits in the trunk of my car.
    - flexibility, or tonal variety. I've had a few amps that did one particular tone very well, or made one particular guitar sound great. It took me a while to find an amp that had multiple good tones (rather than one great one), and sounded good with many guitars.
    - reliability. Some amps just aren't road-tough, and I hate having to baby my gear. My amps get treated like everything else in the PA; not abused, but definitely subjected to some bumps and bruises.
    - boredom. Let's face it, sometimes it's fun just to try/hear something new. This can also add to the creative process.

15. sinner

sinner Member

Lust--pure & simple

16. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller

To the people who are discounting the thoughts behind the original post -- if you claim that these types of things are not factors at all (even subconscious), you're basically saying you choose gear / pursue gear on functional factors alone. Whether or not you want to admit it or not, or realize it or not, this is simply false. We (humans) are a bit more complex than that.

When all other things are equal (or are perceived as equal), guaranteed those factors come into play.

17. 27sauce

27sauce Member

In all honesty, price is my main concern. I wont buy a guitar if I cant flip it for more money someday. That someday may mean tomorrow or 10 years from now. I DO have preferences to what I like and what I keep, but price is the main thing.

18. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Price
    Reliabilty
    Ergonomics
    Versatility
    Looks
    Mojo

19. Ampegasaur

Speak for yourself, please do not include me in your diatribe of self indulgence.

20. Ampegasaur

I play Death Metal, and Doom, so volume is a major issue. Combos, and smaller amps just can't cut it. It is as much the feel as the tone.