All right Tag and LeonC, I picked up an AC30CC today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HeeHaw, Jul 14, 2006.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Man you guys weren't lying. Brought it home and it was instant love! This is a nice sounding amp indeed. Loves pedals too. As predicted, it pretty much stinks at low volumes. However, open it up and it just sings! Intricate jazzy chords ring clear and every note chimes. It does have a lot of chime but not too much ice-pick treble. :cool:

The verb isn't bad, but the tremelo kind of stinks.:eek:

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Wiat till the speakers have broken in a bit. Mine sounds noticibly better than when I got it (used) a couple months ago. Interesting...I really don't care for the verb but think the tremolo is okay, hahahah! I mean.. hee haw, ;)

Anyway, congrats and enjoy the amp!

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I've been running it at higher volumes. How long did it take you to break your cones in?

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

huh, huh...huh, huh...he said cones...

5. Leonc

I got mine used. It looked brand new though...still wrapped in plastic with tags on it and stuff. That was maybe 7 weeks ago or so. I'd guess I put 24 good hours of loud playing on itbefore I started to note a real difference (this one has Blues). It's sounding creamier and some of the edginess has mellowed.

I didn't try messing with some of the tweaky stuff until about a week ago. Worth putzing around with. The bias switch seemed to make the biggest difference to me. I like it mostly on 'warm', but setting it to hot is pretty damn cool too. Will come in handy every now and then. I also definitely prefer the 'Vintage' cathode resistor setting (think it's 22uF)...but we all hear things differntly. Nice having the choice, at any rate.

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

yup! The CC's rock!!!

7. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Hey Leon

Where did you have the bias set when I was playing the amp? You should pop up a couple clips of Mary Jane at that setting... pretty darn convincing to me. I think the cathode was on 22?

It's funny, I heard somewhere a long while back the first guitar on Mary Janes is a Deluxe Reverb... same riff everybody is playing. It could be anything. I'd like to record the DR to hear which one is closer. After listening to the original recording next to all the recent clips the first guitar definitely sounds like something non-Vox... but it doesn't sound like DR to me. The 2nd part definitely sounds like a Vox to my ear... along with the lead tones.

hw2nw The CC is a great sounding amp. Enjoy!

<M

8. Leonc

A Deluxe?? Man...absolutely could be. Doesn't quite sound like it to me...but you know, with potentially differnet speakers, mics, mic placement, EQ, mix, etc. who TF really knows?? I think many of us have a stereotype of Petty and Campbell playing through Voxes. So we assume that that's what it was as far as we're concerned. But really, it could be just about any nice sparkly amp w/a little grit.

We had the AC30 set at 44uF originally, then halfway through, I switched it to 22uF, which I thought improved the sound a bit. We had it on 'warm' (rather than 'hot') bias when you were here; I didn't putz around with that till a day or two ago.

9. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The woman just told me to kill the "Tom Petty" amp for the night. The children just got into bed.:rotflmao

It's a loud sonofagun. I'm going to mess with those bias settings in the morning. This amp definitely gives you some decent options to shape your tone with. I can't wait to try the normal channel with a treble boost pedal.

10. Leonc

The amp loves treble boost pedals (loves my Joyride, at any rate) and pedals in general. Enjoy!

11. robertgordon

robertgordon Active Member

I picked one up recently and am loving it. the only problem i have, is in my country gig i need a bit more headroom. my pro reverb has been covering that fine though. the cc opens up a different tonal avenue, and i can see why so many are raving about the amp. classic vox tones all over the dials. :)

12. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I used mine at church today and have to admit I was a little loud with it. That being said everyone loved it, especially when I kicked on the trem for a small solo. It just has a glassy sound that cuts through like crazy. Also, it didn't go KAPOW! on it's first trip out, so that's a plus.:D:crazy

13. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

With all these AC30 threads lately, I have had gas...I had never played one before. I went to a GC today, they had 3 of them. First I plugged into a used one they were asking 899. I plugged in, reverb didn't work, channel switch didn't work. Asked sales guy, said they would sell it as is for 650, no thanks.

New ones were listed at 999. Sales guy says "will sell you a new one for 899 since the used one didn't work well." I plugged into a new one, trem didn't work. Plugged into the other new one, normal channel didn't work. :mad:

Sad, i wanted to love these amps, and the price seems great.

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Why not buy the $650 one then get it fixed under warranty?

15. Leonc

Funny, the first time I heard any of these amps was on NAMM weekend in January. I got to hear (and play through) 3 2x12 combos that weekend at different places. They all worked and all sounded f-ing great. 2 of them had blues, one had Wharfedales. They all operated just fine and sounded fantastic to me. 6 months later I bought one used on EBay. It was shipped across the country from Hadley, MA and came out of the box sounding absolutely perfect. 9 out of 10 reports I've heard re: problems with CCs came from amps at Guitar Center. Think there's any significance???

16. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Why bother? Why not run like the bejeezus out of there?

On the GC note: they do not treat acoustics well. I got a deal on a Larivee with a crack. Sounds great!

I realize that's a contradiction...

17. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, perhaps true. So where does a guy go to hear and play through a good working one? Sam Ash?? If there was a local shop around that had working amps, I'd love to see.play.touch.hear.feel that...

18. utterhack

utterhack Member

I can confirm that there's a good working one at the GC in Hollywood. And another at the Sam Ash across the street.

19. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I have played several at the GC by me. Everyone worked perfectly. I think a lot of the "problems" being reported is simply bull$hit. I have yet to hear one NOT work. :rolleyes: It seems to me the CCs sound so good, it has pissed a lot of people off. I forget which channel, but if you have the "link" switch in one direction, one of the channels does not work. Also, it takes a while for the amps to warm up before you can play them.