• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

All set up for tomorrow's NYE gig.

Ephi82

Hey buddy, looking really great. What a nice pro set up. I am sure you will have lots of fans dancing their butts off tonight.

I am curious, within you band, who is

1) responsible for the investment in all that equipment
2) Who transports it and sets it all up?
3) Is sound done FOH by an engineer, or are you doing it all "stage side"
4) you have what looks to be awesome monitoring for the band and singers. As a singer, that is great to see. Can you tell me what you are running for stage monitors and amplification, # of monitor mixes and what the FOH speaker/power looks like?

I hope you dont think I am trying to be critic. I am fascinated that in this day and age how a band can carry such a great set up. Good for you!

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
Love it, but you guys need a better band logo.
I know, I know. We've had it since the start, 8 years now. We've never really discussed it. I've never been real crazy about the name but they had the name before I joined.

Man that is a lot of awesome!!! Definitely a "we play for free, and get paid to set up and take down" kind of band!!!!
Is the stage yours as well?
Man, tell me about it. We do pretty good tho. Event band in our little town. $1600 for a normal gig and $2600 for NYE. 5 piece babd. Normally everyone gets $300 and I get an extra $100 for providing lights & sound. NYE, $500 each and I get an extra $100. I get help setting up and tearing down so it works out.

We occasionally play a bar gig, and you get what they pay you. $800/night, 2 nights so we basically get our full nut for the weekend. It's nice to not have to set up again for the second night.

The stage belongs to the venue. We've played there often enough, that they know how we like it set up. The 2 outside decks are kind of optional. Sometimes we use them sometimes we don't. If they aren't there then we use some cases between the subs and tops to get them up. At 90lbs I'm not real crazy about having them up on stands.

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
Nice...why is one monitor pointed away from the band?
Centerfill. Usually just some vocals and acoustic guitar in that mix.

I'd angle those top cabs a bit to cover some of the dance floor.
I've been debating some small wedges to angle them forward a touch.

Hey buddy, looking really great. What a nice pro set up. I am sure you will have lots of fans dancing their butts off tonight.

I am curious, within you band, who is

1) responsible for the investment in all that equipment
2) Who transports it and sets it all up?
3) Is sound done FOH by an engineer, or are you doing it all "stage side"
4) you have what looks to be awesome monitoring for the band and singers. As a singer, that is great to see. Can you tell me what you are running for stage monitors and amplification, # of monitor mixes and what the FOH speaker/power looks like?

I hope you dont think I am trying to be critic. I am fascinated that in this day and age how a band can carry such a great set up. Good for you!
1: I own all the sound & light gear. I have a small sound company I run on the side of my day job. I provide sound for a few venues (more often than not I don't use the big light show) everything down to the power cables is mine. The other musicians bring their personal gear. That way there's no confusion as to whose DI, XLR or extension cable is whose. Keeps it easy.

2: I transport it in a 5x12 gear trailer that fits in my garage. The guys in the band help me set up. Once we get the lights hung, they wire them up, while I wire up the speakers.

Here's my trailer load:
Monitors, cable trunks, misc box (DI's etc) Lighting box, drum mics, mic box under the mic stand bag.

Light crates & drum monitor on the left. Unseen on the right, 15" monitor and the CS18AI contril surface. Then a sub, the mixer and FOH power amp, then a top, and another cable crate.

Other sub, more power amps, lighting cable box.

Then the light stands on the ground, the truss, the banner the smoke machines, hazer, distro, feeder cable etc etc. Hand truck, all ready to go.

3:I'm working on getting someone trained up. We usually mix from the stage. We have a lead volume, & rythm volume we control on our own. Drums & bass are pretty much set & forget. I have to play with our keyboard players volume of her keys and vocal. She just doesn't understand that it's not lead keys all the time. When you aren't found a lead you should be sitting in the mix. Same vocally. I'll bump her up for songs she sings lead on and back her down for the rest.

4: It's all Yorkville.

FOH: Unity 15's LS800p's. IPR3000 to powe the unity15's
Bass player monitor: YX15
Other 3 monitors and centerfill: YX2's
All powered on individual channels by IPR1600's
Drum monitor NX750p

Everyone has their own monitor mix. I can make adjustments quickly. They could control their own but I don't do that with wedges. IEM's no problem. But with wedges you don't know who has done what if you get feedback.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
Fancy! Our setup is much simpler but has all of the same elements. The singer bought lights and the other gtr player owns the sound equipment. The rest of us help loadout and pitch in when his trailer needs a tire or buy cables as old one die.

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
I was in a band back in the 90's. We had a practice PA and would hire sound and lights for the big gigs. I always wanted to be that guy with the rig.

Our drummer bought a PA, an old Martin system and we used that. The band ended up breaking up and he moved away. With no PA I was dead in the water.

I got married and my stepkids ended up in bands so we bought the beginnings of my PA the FOH and a Yorkville Powermax16 mixer. I would rent a snake and monitors to do all ages shows for my kids.

When my marriage ended, the kids were off to school etc. Then I did the odd one off for a couple old guitar students. Then the bars asked how much for me to do sound for them. So I started up my company and was able to give out receipts, upgrade my gear etc etc. So it all worked out.

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, we have a lot of fun!

Here's an old video. We played from 9:30pm until 4:30am lol. This was well after 3am. We were pulling songs out of the hat. I never played the song before, never had any older siblings. So I had heard it before but wasn't crazy famaliar with it. I followed the guitar player and of course he throws me the solo.

On a song I've never played before.

(Old sound & light rig)

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
Some video from last night...

Our video person was kinda phoning it in on this one lol. We had our bass players kid sit in for about 4 songs, so we did Roadhouse Blues. Had some fun.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom