1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

All the best dirtboxes have scratchy pots

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by utterhack, Oct 4, 2006.

1. utterhack

utterhack Member

Girls, you know it's true.

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine
    Lovepedal Balance (one-knob, and okay, COT too)
    ZVex Box Of Rock

Brian Marshall explains why on the subdecay site. But that's not important right now.

What matters is: scratchy potz = :dude

2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

CARB :AOK

3. mprvise

mprvise Member

Beat me to it!

There was a guy a few months ago that compared the sound of the COT to 1000 buzzing wasps in his amp when he turned the knob. I think about that every time I adjust my COT or Carb now. :)

4. fatback

fatback Member

SHO

crackle O-kay!

5. Purple

Purple Member

So is there a scratchy pot mod to make my Toob Skreamer sound better? Can I just use a pocket knife?

I don't think that the "scratchy" sound is actually caused by scatchy pots in pedals such as SHO, BOR, Fat-Boost - it's because the pot is actually rebiasing the transistor or something like that.

6. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

True! Theres a dc current across the leads. There is ways around it electronically but its a big pain in the butt. However I am going to rework the Carb circuit to get rid of the noise because so many people seem to be bugged by it - starting with a sealed conductive plastic potentiometer... $10!

Not having to explain to everyone that the pot is not bad - priceless! :)

Peace-Jay

7. utterhack

utterhack Member

I concede this may be possible. I'm led to understand the Eternity has some fans around here. Diff'rent strokes to move the world... ;)

You say "annoying;" I say "reassuring"!

And I think Skreddy was kidding about the spray. You could soak the entire pedal in it for a week and... still crackle okay :AOK

8. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

I know what you mean... I put notes in the instructions and on the website about the pot on the liquid sunshine, and i still get emails and phone calls. I have even modded a few for some people, but it doesnt sound the same to me, and the gain taper is all wrong.

9. utterhack

utterhack Member

bump because some folks still ain't heard the news :)

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I haven't read the site but I think I know why... as mentioned it rebiases the transistor, but the context I think is important...

Just like any boutique amp builder will tell you "the less junk, the less components, in an amplifier, the better the sound and the more important each component is".

Same here I think. Fuzzes are possibly one of the simplest. They sound great. The components matter a lot in them, and that is why each component takes on a bigger importance, even down to the battery type.
    So the scratchy pot I think could easily be eliminated, but then you would be adding components, which would affect reaction/sound/etc. and they make the decision to both save on components and make it sound best.

I think...

11. bzrkrage

bzrkrage Member

Back from the dead!!!!!

Just tried to "remove" the noisy BOR pot with spray, then found this thread. I feel a bit silly now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

My Rat doesn't have a scratchy pot.